Register now to get rid of these ads!

sbc valve cover breather options?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by orphanautomill, May 15, 2011.

1. orphanautomill

orphanautomill

Once again, looking to the HAMB for help. The sbc in my truck has some old finned aluminum Corvette valve covers. The vents were originally connected to the air cleaner, but I'm looking for a cleaner option.

Ideas or pics anyone? Here is a pic of my nasty old engine.

Thanks in advance

[​IMG]

2. gasser300

gasser300
    from Ft Worth

A guy wants to trade me a 47 Hudson truck like yours for my T.

I just cant do it.

Show a pic of the other side valve cover.

3. Aquaroscoe

Aquaroscoe

Isn't it a 5/8" hole? can't you just put a breather on the cover? my FLAP store had one (mr gasket I think) until I find better

4. PRO 48 fleetline

PRO 48 fleetline
    BANNED
    from ohio

Heres what i did to clean up my engine compartment and to keep all the oil spit off the covers i ran an external stefs breather with AN fitting connected with a 10an hose routed it out side the engine compartment. Canister has breather on it still have to hook up hose in pic!

[​IMG]
    By profleetline at 2011-04-13
    [​IMG]
    By profleetline at 2011-03-28

5. gtoeasy64

gtoeasy64

Here's what I did, pvc on one side, breather on the other.

Attached Files:

6. orphanautomill

orphanautomill

No problem, I wouldn't trade my truck for a T ;)

Heres a pic of the other side;

[​IMG]

7. orphanautomill

orphanautomill

Yeah, thats the problem. I found the Mr gasket and similar, but they seem like they are intended to mount on a pipe and i'm afraid it'll be flopping around in there..

Maybe a pipe nipple nutted to the cover then clamp the Mr gasket on? I'll have to take a closer look at them.

8. orphanautomill

orphanautomill

Nice - too fancy for my truck given it's overall condition, but excellent install.

9. orphanautomill

orphanautomill

Whose breather did you use? That looks clean and stable.

10. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I must say I have never seen a universal flex hose in full extension like that before.

11. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Ok this is the PCV valve in the grommet on the valve cover. The hose should go to the base of the carb and not to the fender well someplace.

[​IMG]

The elbow is where the air enters the engine. You can get away with a standard type breather on this side as a place for the air to enter the engine.

I can't help with a breather or a part number to fit that size opening but I'm betting that they are out there. Pull the elbow out and measure it to find a push in breather that fits the hole which is smaller than a lot of the push in breathers.

12. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

here's the same valve covers--pass side has PVC to base of carb-dr side has a breather-I use the ones without holes on the bottom side underneath to prevent oil seepage--made by Sunspec but there are others

Attached Files:

13. gasser300

gasser300
    from Ft Worth

Dont get me wrong. When he said he had a 47 Hudson truck and would trade, I lit up like a flashlight. I love those trucks. Used to know where one was and thought it was the coolest thing.

Yours is way cool.

14. orphanautomill

orphanautomill

Olescrounger - Perfect, thats the explanation I needed. I'm pretty much an idiot on sbc motors, among other things.

Gasser300 - no worries, I didn't take you comment the wrong way.

Thanks for the help guys

15. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Chevrolet had it right in the early 60's a filler tube/breather in the front of the intake manifold, a PCV valve in the rear of the engine and plain valve covers. It works for me.