Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 63 galaxie build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pie pie, May 4, 2011.

1. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Get the ARP bolts early, they need to be installed before the rods are rebuilt, not after- and the rods should always be redone after changing rod bolts, it's pretty tough to change them without distorting the rod a bit- ignore those who will tell you they've done it 76,000 times without knocking the rods out of round. And just get the complete soft plug kit, you'll want to replace everything while it's apart anyway, no matter how nice the water jacket plugs look on the outside- and they need to come out to clean it anyway. just make sure your shop installs the cam plug the right way this time :eek:

2. Blown 61

Blown 61

That lifter looks like it is junk, how are the lobes on the cam??

3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Looks like I am late as usual. last time I saw this thread, you hadn't even torn it down yet. Yes, cam plug is in backwards.

4. Topless Ford

Topless Ford

I hope this come out right.

If you want to get good air to the galaxie, build an air cleaner that is sealed from the engine compartment. Build a box from that air cleaner housing to the "air box" under where the wipers park. The Gals build a good bit of pressure there and that is where power is at speed. The ram air from the headlights can bone your A/F mix, the teardrop can suck fuel from the carb(s). The cool air that builds up at the base of the windshield is where you want to be.

I make no claim to the accuracy of this. It was told to me by a guy that was running a SOHC motor with that mod. His airbox was built by some fella that had a hand in the Gal program from Ford.
    He saw my 63 vert and told me it was free HP. This was at that huge cruise spot in phoenix. I figured if the guy was smart enough to run a SOHC motor, and smart enough to make the money required to fix one he may be on to something.
    Good luck and keep posting, i love your car!

5. Domino

Domino

It goes like this.
    [​IMG]

6. hemifarris

hemifarris

I've always had a soft spot in my heart for 63 1/2 Galaxie fastbacks. Best of luck with your build..............Mike

7. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

3 lobes were almost perfect circles. Only like 4 lobes on the whole cam looked normal. I'll get a pic tomorrow.

8. Blown 61

Blown 61

9. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

Yep going through the whole thing. Got it torn all the way down earlier. [​IMG]
    Trying to figure out the cause of that.
    [​IMG]
    After I wiped the top off.

10. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

That sucks! I went through the same thing this winter...

11. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

I wish it wouldn't have done this until the winter. I just got it and haunt gotten to drive it much.

12. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

i am concidering either a comp 270h, 280h or 275deh. any input? idle, bottom end power?

13. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

Well the crank is getting checked, the tranny is getting rebuilt with a shift kit and making my parts list. Quite long

14. mysteryman

mysteryman
    from atlanta

seeing this post made my day.brought back some priceless memories.we still have my dads car he bought new.63 1/2 galaxie 500, 390-3spd on the column.only thing ever changed on car he modifyed the 14 " wheels to 15" other than that its all original.

15. triumphtony

triumphtony

If you are still planing on doing something with your brake booster, you may want to do it now with the motor out. The brake booster for a 63 1/2 is almost 500 buck at the parts store. It is cheaper to send yours in to be rebuilt. I think Mac's antique auto rebuilds them.

16. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

I'm going to put something all together different in it. Way to much and with this car I'm not to concerned if it is original. I think scarebird recommends a crown Vic booster and mc and I can get a new one for 100. I don't know what the difference is in single or dual diaphram is either.

17. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Looks like you are doing the right things to get this fixed... best of luck!

I see you posted on Norwell's cam thread, also, but figured I'd add the same info here.
    I swapped in this cam and everything else was stock, didn't even have adjustable rockers: (was VERY happy with it)

Specs:
    Comp Cams
    Advertised Duration - Int: 256 Exh: 268
    Duration @ .050 - Int: 212 Exh: 219
    Valve Lift - Int: .487 Exh: .493
    Lobe Separation: 110.0

A couple video samples...
    (2-1/2" exhaust with 40 series Flowmasters, Edelbrock Performer Intake, Edelbrock 600 carb, FMX auto that shifted surprisingly well, stock '64 heads, pistons, etc.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Malcolm

18. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

I cannot get them to play? Is that the 262 cam?

19. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

It appears you may have just posted from an Iphone? (since the thread title doesn't show up in your post)
    The videos are on Photobucket and open in a new window, so may not work on a phone.

That wasn't a 262 cam... I don't recall what 'series' of cam they called it. May have been one of their "Extreme Energy" grinds. It's a split duration, different on the intake/exhaust sides.

20. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

The crank is in the machine shop and the engine goes next week. Getting ready to order a bunch of parts. Found out it has full floating rod pins and forged pistons. It should run pretty good. Also trying to come up with a radiator support and radiator to get rid of the hacked ip junk they put in it. Also looking for a set of headers.

21. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

Got the crank back today and I hope to get a big order placed with summit tomorrow.

22. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

all the headers i've found for galaxies are stupid pricey. when i get around to it i'm gonna cut up a set of truck headers i have and make tri y's or shortys out of them. i used a granada booster/mc for mine, i'm not real happy with it. i think i'm gonna just ditch the power brakes. seams like your makin progress with the motor.

23. hemi35

hemi35
    from Australia

Try ford power train for headers, heres a link http://www.fordpowertrain.com/FPAindex/Galaxie1.htm

I have a set of his tri y's on my 63 Marauder and they are real nice and very fairly priced.
    BTW make double sure you put that back cam plug in the correct way or you will have troubles again.

24. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

OK, how did you get those plugs in without denting and leaving marks? Especially the big one for the cam.

25. gonzoengineer

gonzoengineer

Neat project -- a buddy at my last job had an unrestored 62' Galaxie he'd drive whenever weather allowed (leaky convertible top). They have a stunning road presence, especially when alongside the sea of beige commuters that clutter our roadways.

Wood block. ;)

26. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

Well I picked up a b&m hot rod style shifter today to replace the stocker that would not shift right because of the c6 so I will have a stock shifter for sale

27. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

Just made the 1st order with summit today and dropped the heads off at the machine shop. Hopefully I will order cam next week.

28. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

Well got the custom cam and valvetrain. Rpm intake will be in tomorrow. Hopefully will get the block dropped off next week. Havnt had anytime to work on it lately but now I have time.

29. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

[​IMG]
    Well got the block back today and painted it tonight. All machine work is done and converter is built. Finally assembly time.

30. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

Been while since I have checked in as I have been very busy. Well I have the short block assembled with one head and timing cover on. I'm waiting on oil pump pickup and windage tray to get the pan on. Trans is back and fresh as well as the custom converter. I've got boxes of new parts and a handful of odds and ends to get. Also got the under hood painted and trying to get new aluminum radiator for it as well.