Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 62 Impala Garage find.....Kinda out of my element...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Littleman, May 14, 2011.

1. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I just looked @ this today......The garage has trees starting to grow large right in front of it.....The garage reeked of animal urine, along w/ a dead animal or two...and is an utter mess..This car is still owned by its original owner, he bought this in 1962, an Impala SS 409 four speed, white w/ red interior....It has 15,000 miles on it, and has been torn apart for well over 40 years.....The low miles are only because he street raced it since he bought it then tore it down to do something to the front end or suspension upgrade...just not sure as of yet......The garage is in bad shape and seen better days...

The entire front supension was dimantled off the frame, engine pulled and torn down...Real hard to tell if it's all still in the garage, but appears to be.....Found the block, heads, crank, trans, duel quad w/ original carbs ect.....all need work from sitting for along time..The inside of the car looks to be in real good shape but smells of urine and plenty of mouse droppings.....This car has no rot on it what so ever....only rusted from being stored in a damp garage.

I thought this would make a killer family car...hense my interest and luck to have first crack @ the purchase...It appears to be an original SS 409 HP Duel Quad 4 speed car, as the owner states...My only problem is ...I am the furthest thing from a Muscle car guy and do not want to over pay for it........ I have no idea what this is worth as it sits ? Does anyone know anything about these ?....Thanks for looking Littleman

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  2. 1946chevytruck

1946chevytruck
    BANNED
    from london ,ky

around $3000 -$6000

3. I'll just say WOW. Hope you do something with it or place with it someone who loves 'em.

4. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

409, 4 speed? you better buy it!

5. Black Primer

Black Primer

Always had a soft spot for 62 chevs. I remember as a kid my dad had a bel air 2 door post. It was black on red, thought it was the coolist thing ever.

6. AaronJJ

AaronJJ
    from Dallas

go for it if doesn't work out then sell it for price between 2500-6500

7. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

8. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

Would make a terrible family car,tell me where it is, my family is all grown lol

9. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

it's a keeper

10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

The nice thing about Chevy's is you can get reprints of the "assembly manual" that gives you detailed drawings of everything. I did an SS396 Chevelle 4spd. convertible that was the same deal...taken apart many years ago. My problem was that they had parted out other Chevelles too and it was all in a big pile after several eager beavers finally gave up on it and passed it on to me. I never could have done a descent job on it with out that manual. I was able to decipher what was SS and what was just Malibu. Every clamp is shown on every accessory. It's amazing how the wiring can change just because it has bucket seats etc. With the manual, I would not be scared of it. Without it, it could be daunting considering it's value as a properly restored 409-409. Many of the ones you see are clones.

Mine was a diversion from my hotrods too but it was fun and I made some money on it when I sold it to get back to early Fords.

11. I can smell those pictures here in California - whew..... Is the front sheet metal there? Looks complete other then that... if you can load it on the trailer for 5 grand orless your doing well. Good Luck! Nice Find.

12. Chevy55

Chevy55
    from Nebraska

You better buy that thing. Real 409 cars are very desirable and command big bucks. Air cleaner you pictured is worth probably around $1500. If those cylinder heads are the big port 690 casting over $1000. Intake and correct carbs $1000. Get that thing bought or someone else will quickly.

13. impalamark

impalamark

Oh ....you are killing me . clean low milage ..from the original owner
    ss -4 speed -dual quad -409 my head hurts . I think that even if you "overpay"
    it will bring much much more when back together. buy it and build it

14. Does it come with the record :
    She's real fine, my 409 .....4 speed , dual quad, posi-traction, 409

I'd be looking at part out vale minus my time for doing it, that would be one number x ( high)
    Then I'd look at restored value minus what I'd have to get it there, second number y ( low even -)
    Then average those two.

Add a bit for coolness factor, #s matching low mileage ect. Subtract some for economic reasons.

3-5 k I'm guessing but that's a wide window, however you have your hands in it .

15. bryan6902

bryan6902

I would buy it, like the other guys said. Parts are fairly plentiful/easy to find for these cars and I would assume a 409 car would be fairly easy to turn if you lost interest.

Sometimes we learn a lot about ourselves by stepping away from what we know and taking up the challenge of the unknown. Just saying it could be really cool, especially with that RED interior!

16. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

Where are all these dang garages and barns? Why can't I find cool stuff like this?
    Nice find! comgrats!!! Cruise it hard!

17. Tony

Tony

Considering it's a 62 SS dual quad 4 speed car, and the amount of hard to find ( read EXPENSIVE) parts, coupled with the fact it's a low mileage car that more than likely has all it's numbers matching items still intact, i respectfully disagree with the 2-6K price range that's been mentioned a few times.

While i fully understand the market, or general economy is not what it was and once high price cars are not as high, that car IS worth more than that.

I just bought a 63 409 with 99% of the original items still in tact, but in similar shape for above the 6K mark.
    A good passenger car block can pull as much as 1500 and thats without the QB suffix code for the dual quads...and when you break down the rest of the parts that are 409 specific, the dollar amount starts climbing real fast if you had to locate everything. That's one big parts bin all together and most likely born with that car.

IF you can get it for that or less, BUY IT! seriously, you will not lose and i will prove it. If you decide you don't want it, i'll buy it from you and put a profit in your pocket with a smile on my face. :D and i'm being honest.

And i gotta agree, it's not a muscle car in my eye's, more so a factory sleeper.

Best of luck if you buy it..which i hope you do. Thats a REAL find with all those original parts regardless of if they are all bolted together or not.

Tony

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  18. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

From the pics, and you're description, that's an easy $5000-$7500 car, all day long!

19. 1954wagon

1954wagon

you buy that thing and ill pay for the shipping both ways and ill give you a choice of taking my restored 1941 chevrolet 2 door "family car" or my 1953 buick 2 door "also a family car" serious the offers out there

20. Squablow

Squablow

I agree. That's probably original paint for cryin' out loud. All numbers matching with the original carbs and everything? I think anything under 10K would be a great buy on that car.

I don't think you could buy a non-SS, 283 car in that nice of condition for what some of you guys are pricing this one at.

21. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I'm thinking there are a lot of guys here that are too "into" hot rods and not in the loop as far as vintage muscle is concerned. If that is a complete example with all origional pieces your looking at a restored car in the over $50,000 range, quite possibly WAY OVER. With that said I mean restored with all of the bells and whistles that the restoration boys look for. A lot of research would be prudent before you start on it so you don't make any missteps and ruin or damage any component that might be irreplaceable. You might want to do some internet detective work to put you in the ballpark and then talk to some of those anal retentive fanatics that inhabit that world.

Frank

Katuna likes this.
  22. Tony

Tony

exactly!

23. easttown

easttown

I am in Ohio...Here is the deal...if you can buy it for 3000-7000...I will instantly double your money...That is THE 62 impala to have...

24. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

You can throw that NADA guide out the window or start a fire with it. It lists a 32 Sport Coupe and a 34 3 window at $33K for high retail. In California if you bought it the way it is for $15K you would be getting a deal. Saying it's worth 3000-6000 well that's just sucking canal water. A 62 Impala 409, 2x4, 4 speed car is the holy grail of Impalas.

25. Muttley

Muttley

I'd like to know what planet some of you are living on? If you can buy that car for less than ten grand and you dont there are two morons in the room..........the guy whos selling it that cheap and the guy who doesnt go home with the car.

26. buds56

buds56

I would have to agree, 10K puchase, maybe 20k to restore, at 30 you'll still have room to make some easy momey

27. Topless Ford

Topless Ford

How does it go? "You didn't pay to much, you just bought it too soon." Seriously, you cannot lose on that car for anything less than 8K. The parts are worth that. If the rare 409 stuff goes away and it becomes just another low mileage shell it is still a deal at 3k just because of the sheetmetal, condition and numbers. I have seen your work and you could do this car in your sleep!!! ONE OWNER 409/409! Say it again!

28. brother in law bought a minnesota SS 62 w/o the 409 ..327? a few years back for around 12 grand
    RED ON RED bench seat NEAR 100,00 MILES some what gone over but nice

me i'd beover there asking what they would need TODAY to clean every thing out of the whole shed by sunday night

that way you will be sure to get every thing even buried in the floor

gosh get it .... once in a lifetime winner here

29. F&J

F&J

12k the way it sits would be a good buy, even "today's economy". The thing about today's economy, is that mundane cars are way down, but rare cars are still being bought for good money by well funded people.

That car if complete, and all matching parts, with super low miles, is easily worth 12-15k. and maybe more if marketed by a savvy seller.

BTW, that car predates the muscle car era, it is in it's own league.

30. Ratrod37

Ratrod37

If it's a real 409 car and numbers matching and you have all the very expensive parts with it anything under $10,000.00 and you will be OK.But you really need to drag everything out and go through it and make sure you have all the correct parts.It's real easy to miss a few parts that can cost big $$$.I saw headers mixed in so you will really need to go over the drivetrain and make sure it's all correct for this car and not worn or broken.1962 409 Impalas are one of my all time favorite cars( I had a 62 conv.409 dual quad,still sorry I sold it)but it's not the very best one to get,the best would be a Z11 63 with all the aluminum pieces but this will probably be your best find ever.Make it happen or pass it on to me.....I'll be your best friend!!!! I'm not kidding about wanting it if you pass on it or if you buy it let me know what you want for it.