Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's the dumbest thing you've heard at a parts store?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ratticis, Apr 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

"i need some brake line" "we dont have those" "im looking right at them behind the counter!" "for what car"......... *faceplant

2. Thumper

Thumper

When the customer comes in and thinks he's gonna fuck with me......I jus smile and ask him........"Whacha' buildin ?? " :D

3. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Hahhaha..Im tellin ya

4. fossilfish

fossilfish
    from Texas

Try getting plastigauge.

5. apound

apound

I worked at a Chevy dealer several years ago. A guy comes to the front counter and asks if we have any parts in stock for a LUV pickup. Without missing a beat the counterman says "oil and water" the guy left pissed with all of us laughing.

6. fossilfish

fossilfish
    from Texas

I had just finished installing a GMC inline 302 6 in my 1966 chevy pickup. I needed an exhaust manifold, the one I had was cracked. Went to the junkyard. Told the guy behind the counter what I had and what I needed. He said " well son you don't you don't have a 302 because it won't fit". I said yessir I do have a 302 GMC inline six. He then said "I have been in the parts bidness for 25 years and I know that big engine won't fit in that truck" I told him that "well I wished you would have told me that before I put it in" and I left.

7. ssk875

ssk875
    BANNED
    from Buffalo

Ive asked for wheel cylinders and they asked if it was for disk or drum brakes

8. apound

apound

Recently tried to get a pilot bushing for a 65 GTO 4 speed. The counter jockey asked if that was part of the CV joint.

9. Amp713

Amp713
    from Utah

Sadly the kid working behind the counter ended up workin at our dealership until the owners realized what a horrible mistake they had made.

Honestly lost customer standing beside car talking to parts kid: So how can i get more power, and better mileage out of my car? (exact car escapes my mind but it was over 10 years old, sputtering, had an exhaust leak, beat to hell and belt squeling.)
    Parts kid:OH THEY MAKE A TURBO KIT FOR ANYTHING NOW! I CAN TOTALLY FIND YOU ONE ONLINE FOR CHEAP!!!!

^THAT KID WAS NOT JOKING.........

10. Amp713

Amp713
    from Utah

hahahahaaa i wish i could have seen that guys face!

11. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

How about this one,

"We don't stock those anymore, but they used to be on aisle five..."

12. keithreid

keithreid

Was working in a refinery in Wyoming a couple years ago when our project manager got tired of watching the office girl sit behind her desk and file her nails. He sent her to town to the parts store to get some blinker fluid. Guy behind the counter never blinked, just asked her if she needed yellow or amber.
    She actually called back to the office to see which color we needed. I don't think she ever even caught on.
    No big suprise though. She also got sent to the tool room to get a pipe stretcher once. Was told repeatedly over the radio that it was next to the striped spray paint and she never did find either one.

13. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can you blieve this?? Some guy in front of me said this!!
    "I bought a Chev!"
    Crazy huh!?

Doc.

14. BaltoBeater

BaltoBeater

Walked in to a Pep Boys the other day with a friend, he walks up to the counter...

Clerk: Can I help you?

Friend: I need a universal fan spacer.

Clerk: Year, make, and model?

Friend: Uh... universal.

15. 1953girlracer

1953girlracer
    from Redlands

Besides being asked are you sure thats what your husband wants there are no dumb questions

16. Frank

Frank

"Listen her-a. I need a frule pump for a 68 Bruick Impalo"

heard a newb behind the counter ask an equally clueless customer if a Chrysler was made by Caddilac.

17. a customer comes in the other day with a receipt for a car battery that he had bought several months earlier. battery had a 72 month warranty and 2 years free replacement , and he wants it replaced. where is the battery? it's in his friends car , but his friend is long gone and he can't get it back. so he thinks we need to give him a new "replacement"

the sad part is i don't think he was trying to con us , but rather he actually believed i would hand him over a brand new battery as warranty. when i told him NO i could tell by the look on his face he was truly disappointed . he then asked what should he do next , my reply was to get better friends

18. el shad

el shad

Sounds like a fine feller. Fine Feller!

19. BangerMatt

BangerMatt

Me: Do you stock any oil filters that aren't "made in China"?

counter guy: No, we only stock FRAM.

Thank the lord this place is now an ACE hardware store.

20. gasser300

gasser300
    from Ft Worth

I went into a Chevy dealer and bought $113.00 in parts and gave them a 100 and one of the then new 20 dollar bills. I didnt pay much attention to the change.

The next m orn, a saturday I opened wallet and had a wad of 20's in there. It took me a while to figure out that the kid gave me change for 2 100 dollar bills.

I called the dealer to make it right and give them the 80 bux back and they hung up on m e......twice

21. Toner283

Toner283

That would ease my conscience about keeping the money. If you tried twice then you should probably give up & realize that they want you to keep the extra money.

22. johnboy13

johnboy13

You'd be surprised how many Chevy Caprices are driving around Rockford, IL with a "big block Chevy three-fiddy Rocket" in them.

23. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

All of this "That car isn't available" or "That car wasn't made by this company" etc. reminds me of earlier this year at school, me and this kid were talking about cars and I mentioned how I like Fairlanes. He noticed I was wearing a Ford Racing t-shirt and said I thought you liked Ford's? I said yes...wouldn't drive anything else. He said "Why do you like Fairlanes then if you like Fords"? I asked him what he ment. He said Chevy made the Fairlanes. He then told me a story his grandpa told him because he has one. They apparently only made like 10 of them in 1952 by General Motors... I asked him to bring in something that says Chevy made Fairlanes and I would give him $20. He never mentioned it again.... haha

24. burnin53

burnin53
    from cuba,n.y.

Tried that at Autozone. Ditz behind the counter says ,"What's a plastic guage?"
    Looked it up and their computer said they had it,but i had to go behind the counter and find it for them.:eek::(

25. Franken4

Franken4
    from Texas

Amen!! I run through this on a daily basis.

26. Randy 1956

Randy 1956

I worked in a parts store for a lot of years, and the dumbest thing I ever heard was the customers questions. Most people do not know what they are talking about when it comes to cars, even though they all thing they are a mechanic. The more they would talk the dumber they wound sound.

27. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

After walking around the store and not finding what I wanted I went to the counter and asked where the timing lights were. His reply was, "what kind of car is it for?". I said, "nevermind" and walked out of the store.

28. Local stuff...true...

Customer- "I need a wheel bearing for my 66 Plymouth..."
    Counter guy-- "Is it a full-size Plymouth?"
    Customer- 'yeah....it's a 383"

Customer with a can of spray paint- "How long do I shake this?"
    Counter guy-- "Till the ball quits rattlin'"
    Customer- "Okay-thanks!"

Counter guy-- "What did you say you're car is again?"
    Customer- "a Buick Le Tour"
    Counter guy-- You sure that's what it is?"
    Customer-- "It's outside, I'll show you---says so on the fender"
    Both guys walk outside.
    Customer points at the fender--"See? I told you. 3.8 LeTour"
    Front fender emblem === 3.8 Litre

29. rld14

rld14

Had some fun at the local AutoZone in Bergenfield, NJ of late (Damn I miss RBC Auto Parts...)

"Hi I need 6 AC R45 Spark Plugs"

Then we go through the whole thing with what car is it, I politely mention that the car isn't in their computer bt I have the part #.

"Umm, I need to know the car"

OK, 1960 Vauxhall Velox.

"That's not in here, is it a Volkswagen?"

Nope, it's a very obscure old British car, you guys stock them, can ya just grab them for me?

"I need to make sure they fit your car"

They fit, they're the ones in the owner's manual

"Well if I can't look it up I would need to see proof that they fit your car"

I don't have the manual with me, I've owned the car for 10 years and have 2 of them, can you please grab them off the shelf?

"I gotta ask the manager"

OK Fine.

Manager is asked, manager mentions he's on his break and walks out.

"Umm hold on"

Another AutoZoner walks up, we start all over again.

"Uhh I gotta look the car up"

Again, same grilling, YES I know that these fit my car, YES I am positive, absolutely positive, etc. Finally I get the damned plugs.

It seems like every time I walk in there the counterpeople are flat out lying to a customer or someone walks out in frustration.

30. M_S

M_S
    from SoCal

I know...

Let's all complain about the price of parts, then complain about the minimum wage counter help.

That sounds like fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.