Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

2. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

3. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Nice to see a repost of Ed Hamburger's 1966 ride. Having seen this image before, I just noticed that the assistance of Ed Beyer was acknowledged ... sure luv to see a (color) shot of his beautiful and strong running 'Scalper' 56 Pontiac.

4. exshelby

exshelby

Nope only flipped once...First restoration was of a cherry 'race car'. I'm doing the 'scratch and dent' restoration. Saved all the original sheetmetal except roof and the nose...painted and running now, just needs final assembly. Hope to have it at fall Musclepalooza.

Attached Files:

5. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

1974 Tom Finkle, Belleville , Ontario, Canada. 220hp 283 4 speed.

6. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

Yes, he painted the car white in 1975.

7. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

Check out that cool "Helmet" :D that Ronnie Broadhead is wearing when you blow up the picture.....LOL. Nice hat and yes I know they didnt have to wear helmets in 1965.

8. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

I can attest to the accuracy of that statement. At the end of Saturday's class eliminations at the '71 Winternationals, Barry and I were positioned side-by-side in the old teardown "barn" on the eastern edge of the L.A. County Fairgrounds. Late in the evening, we became acquainted while sitting on our toolboxes and waiting for the cam-check crew (Marty Barratt and Greg X.) to get around to our end of the row. Barry asked me if I thought any of the contingency sponsors would pay off in cash, on the spot. He told me he didn't have enough money to get home from Pomona and he hoped that someone would pay him the next day. I don't know how he got home but I do recall that my class win at that event was worth something between $1200 and $1500 and various sponsors were following us around the pits the next day to discuss the details of our experiences with their products. I remember that Borg-Warner Clutches brought a photographer around to take pictures of the cars on the spot. Things are a bit different these days.

Those were grand times to be a racer.

9. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

10. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Tim Bishop says that his Stock Eliminator win the last US Nationals was worth around $5000, not much compared to a class win 40 years ago! One of Tim's problems is running a GM product with a 4 speed. Ford and Chrysler drivers running an automatic get considerably more contingency money. They all have some difficulty in actually getting paid I am told.

11. yekoms

yekoms

That's Maple Grove Drag-O-Way as it was called early on. Outside of Reading,Pa. That's Larry Lombardo drivin' the Buckshot.

12. yekoms

yekoms

Any new pics of Jere Stahl's '57 Chevy sedan that he ran in about '65. A friend of mine is modelin' it in 1;25 scale and wanted to know if it was a "utility" with no back seat,arm rests,etc.or just a 150 sedan.
    Thanks, Smokey

13. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

Im still doing great :) and feel even better....thanks for asking.

14. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

Compare that to how much it cost today :eek: to get the higher HP cars on the track and travel to the races plus entry fees not to mention the cost of fuel at 6-10 MPG towing. If you dont win or runner up its a real looser. NHRA sponsors only pay class win money at 3 races this year and INDY is one of them. Fun but not very good for the bottom line :(.

15. Bob Bender

Bob Bender

A friend sent me this today from York US 30 in 1979

Attached Files:

16. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

17. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Looks like a rear seat in the car to me. Don't know the trim on '57's, did the business coupes have side moldings?

18. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

Yes. They look the same from the outside.It does look like the top of a rear seat, Didn't see that the first time. Sorry Colesy.

19. Skip Asay

Skip Asay

For the really observant....look at the right side of the stands.

Skip Asay

20. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Ha Ha Ha Ha....Skip gets the Kewpie Doll.:D

21. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

I just remembered that Dave Boertman was talking with me one day back in the mid 70's at a race in Bristol, Tenn. about how the win money was going down even back then and the fact that he had won over $13,000 :eek: (1970 money and we know how our dollar is devalued today) at Indy in 1970 with his 69 Byscayne with an engine that he had a little over $300 tied up in it. Yes times have changed :(.

22. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

According to a money calculator I found surfing the net, $13,000 in 1970 would be worth over $75K in todays money. I use the site all the time to compare how prices were back in the day vs what they are today.

http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

23. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

:cool:Finally, a picture of one of my favorites, The Whitney and Kutsavage Dog Catcher from Connecticut

Attached Files:

24. Max Wedge S/SA

Max Wedge S/SA
    from USA

Thanks for posting this Colesy, means a lot to me......

25. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

:cool:Chuck Johnson's Cobra Jet. Think I have the same CD as the Hazguy so if he doesn't post them I will;)

Attached Files:

26. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

:cool:Another big block Biscayne......Anybody remember a car that was pretty much identical to this called "Bucks or Cups"? I think it ran out of Bill Ceralli's shop.:confused:

Attached Files:

27. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

:cool:A couple more for the faithful....

Attached Files:

28. Man that must be "car hell"

29. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

I see tha name Steve Cherpock on that white '57 Chevy form Emerson,NJ and I think he raced either a gasser or a modified production car and was pretty fast.

The white '57 Chevy is vaguely familiar.......Pictures are from York....

30. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

No, I had a 52 Olds race car