Register now to get rid of these ads!

Straight sixers out there??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shiftytwo, Feb 18, 2011.

1. inlinr6

inlinr6

heres my junk.

Attached Files:

2. retromotors

retromotors

I've got too many choices for my '50 Chevy sedan project.
    But it's all good - they're all sixes and the cylinders are aligned the way God meant 'em to be!:D

Got a 235 and trans out of a '57 Apache pickup.
    Later found a military 270 GMC and trans out of somethin' or other...???

[​IMG]

Still trying to decipher the various casting numbers on the GMC to date it. It's an oldie though ... check out the date on the rebuild tag.:eek:

[​IMG]

Sadly, due to finances, it looks like I may end up going with a non-HAMB friendly slant six and overdrive automatic, but nothing's finalized yet.

Loves me some inlines ....!!!

Rcraft likes this.
  3. krackerdave

krackerdave
    from mt vernon

I would run the 235 if u want to be traditional

4. edgeabilly

edgeabilly

My 292 going in a 31 5w coupe. I'm looking for parts. Drivers door, firewall, grill shell and trunk lid.:D

Attached Files:

5. snelson57

snelson57

235 with dual carbs, s10 T5 and s10 rear going into my 29...someday

6. luckyno7777777

luckyno7777777
    from Michigan

I seem to be having some trouble keeping my 235 running. I'm getting frustrated with it. I am the second owner of it. 50,000 original miles. I found it sitting in an old barn. The old guy gave it to me, said it had been there atleast 20 years and they couldn't make it run. I pulled it out of the barn washed it up and 20 min later had it running. It was running great even drove it around a bit. When I went to pull it in for the winter I drove it down to the door and was just about in and it died right there. Couldn't get it to start again. lost spark. Changed points and condenser got spark back seemed to be running fine again. put it in gear and it would die. Never did get it inside. I cleaned the spiders out of the carb and still does the same thing. Will start and run good for about 10 sec and then die. It will start back up and run for a few seconds, but then die. You can do this as many times as you want till the battery dies too. Still 6v. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

christofalos likes this.
  7. A bit newer than probably allowed, but here's mine
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. dan sutton

dan sutton

Shifty
    Got the 216 running in my '48 Chevy truck after it sat behind a barn for 38 years! Completely stock except for oil bath air cleaner converted to paper. Installed a T5 behind it and it likes the trans alot! Have a 235 to hop up it the 216 ever dies.

Attached Files:

9. May be a little O/T but here is my blown six.

[​IMG]

10. This is cool! I don't know why but I have come to really like Pintos.
    [​IMG]

11. shiftytwo

shiftytwo

This seems odd t me, does it lose spark everytime? Try buying a cheap inline spark tester usually a cople bucks, from the local parts store. Fits in line with yer plug wires, has a clear window where you can visually see the spark, run her with that attached and see what happens. My 216 did a simulair trick and was traced to the orginal coil. The 6volters seem to get wacko after 20 years. My 216 would run for 2-3 minutes and then shut of like a switch, and restart right away. Just a suggestion, keep us posted or reply back to me, Good luck pal!! ShiftyTwo PanDraggers Customs

12. sololobo

sololobo

I love my 223 six in my Ranch Wagon but it is a little weak. I just found a rebuilt 223 with all new internals at a super bargain price and am going to hopefully get it bought and dropped in soon. I just was fortunate enough to score a 3-spd O.D. tranny and am ready to roll some hiways. My pal xderelict just scored a rare 302 inline Jimmy for his 31 Chevy coupe. Love them six shooters! ~sololobo~

13. Iron Butterfly

Iron Butterfly

I have a chevy 250 six with a saginaw three speed. It's the original engine is newly rebuilt and nothing else on the road sounds like her. I bought a set of headers, an intake manifold and webber carburator from clifford performance which I will soon be installing. I'm really anxious to hear the exhaust once I dual it out. I will post some pics soon.

14. R&C RON

R&C RON

Here are a couple of shots of my 216 in my 40 Chevy.It is the original block converted to insert bearings and full pressure oil.It is bored to the max with a mild cam,dual intake ,fenton headers and a Mallory distributor with a Pertronix conversion. A few years ago I added a 1966 all synchro Saginaw 3-speed with overdrive and it made a great highway car.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

ROD&CUSTOM RON​

Cosmo49 likes this.
  15. 'Mo

'Mo

I love everything about this, R&C Ron. Are the exhaust manifolds powder coated? Stainless? :cool: Thanks.

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  16. I_am_who_I_am

I_am_who_I_am

I have a 235 in my '58 Chevy. Runs like a champ, always starts and keeps great oil pressure.

17. lanny haff

lanny haff

Heres mine 33 Plymout 48 Dodge 230 milled head full race cam 3 carbs dual exhaust hooked to a350 GM trans

Attached Files:

18. R&C RON

R&C RON

Thanks for the compliment....the headers have a high heat powder coating.Love these inlines!!

ROD&CUSTOM RON

19. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

261, Holley 21-29 carb, Fentons, glasspacks, Pertronix in the stock distributor. Saginaw 4-speed and 3:54 rear end . In my '51 Chevy pickup.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Iam running a 1975 250cid in a 1954 chevy with s10 trans . W/3x1bbl set up.
    10 bolt rear w 342 gears. 75 camaro frt sup.

21. 'Mo

'Mo

It's more than a compliment,'RON; Critics rave!
    Honestly, I was having second thoughts about painting my 216 black, but that exhaust manifold changes the whole look! Hand me the grinder! (Going to be getting some of those wire looms, too!)

Of course, the side cover (Thickston?) doesn't hurt. But my head is milled .100", and I ain't gwan' be cuttin' one of those to fit, so I guess chrome will have to do!

Thanks for the inspiration!

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  22. R&C RON

R&C RON

Side cover is Nicson, as far as I know its been on the motor since the 1950's.

ROD&CUSTOM RON

23. OldGuyOldTruck

OldGuyOldTruck
    from Tampa, FL

1950 AD - 292, clifford headers, intake,cam, 390 4bbl

24. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

My 53 210 still runs the stock 235 splasher. After sitting since 1971 I got it to fire up and drive down the road :)

YouTube Video of when I first got it to start:
    http://youtu.be/U0MaHjukWFI

My triumphant test drive:

[​IMG]

25. R&C RON

R&C RON

Ithought you guys might like to see some early speed equipment for Chevys. This is from about 1952.​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ROD&CUSTOM RON​

26. Mine's nothing fancy. The 1948 Ford F1 came with a 1957 Ford 223" that hadn't run in 30 years. I was going to yank it and go 350 SBC. Got the 223 running good, so gonna' run with it.

As found.
    2011 05 01 engine paint 1.JPG

New gaskets, timing chain, paint, glass bowl Holley and different air cleaner.
    DSC06139m.JPG

0000000.JPG

2011 07 09 engine 03.JPG

Last edited: May 15, 2016
    Cosmo50 and Steves46 like this.
  27. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

1940 Chevy Coupe. 2929 with 3x2's[​IMG]

28. TUCKERBOY

TUCKERBOY

I'm running a 250 with a small cam ,with a offy four barrel intake ,split header,s-10 5speed in my straight axle corvair hope to make some passes @ the track soon!