Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Beebe Bros, Vinson, & Sixt "Cackle Car"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by THE-SYNDICATE, Dec 10, 2010.

1. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Damn I am excited I found this thread!!! SO fucking awesome man and I am stoked for you!! All the parts are comign together nicely and I love the documentation.

2. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Ah yes!!! Mr. James!! Glad you found it! The story is developing quite nice but the freaky data is yet to come... Stand By for much more cool shit in the near future!

Cheers,

Berta

3. Muttley

Muttley

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Not to be a nerd in such a cool thread but what app are you using for the Kodak pictures? I seen that you're using a Mac book PRO so I know there also has to be a iPhone accompanying it right? Everything looks rad!!!

5. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Super Bitchin!!!! Cover shot from Drag Racing Magazine '66!! Love it.

6. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Yeah Dude I'm hella stoked on the Polaroid deal... It's a fun way to share the pics and kinda puts the mild patina on things... I use the iPhone to document all my work and the APP for this is "ShakeItPhoto"... I shoot damn near everything this way...

Cheers,

Berta

7. Muttley

Muttley

Yep, thats what I scanned it from. ;)

8. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

So here's another little detail that y'all might find groovy. Now I'm not finished with these but hopefully by the weekend they should be wrapped up. Then they will need to go in for Chrome to be just right! The car was built on a pretty strict budget back in '65 and there was not many items on the car that Lee Sixt didn't build himself! Including the rear water necks. Pipe Fittings seem to work! Let's have a little look:

[​IMG]

Here's another close up....
    [​IMG]

Well... Easy! Just grab some 3/4" pipe and get after it! The caps today look like shit so I needed to give'um a little shave and cut in the lathe first:

[​IMG]

A little side by side for comparison!
    [​IMG]

Then a little Slice-o-matic with the band-saw and we have what we need! I will make a few more adjustments and then buzz these up with the TIG. I need to add the little nipple coming out the bottom that had the line running down to the zoomies for overflow.

[​IMG]

Well... More news soon...

Cheers,

Robert M.

9. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

And now it's time for a bit more history..... In print and picture format.... :) I love this shit!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this neat little trinket..... AWESOME!!!!!
    [​IMG]

Enjoy!!!

Robert M.

10. jfrolka

jfrolka

Looks like a very fun alternative to racing, that first hard cackle is gonna be the shit!

11. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

I can't wait!!!! Are you the fella from Sebastopol with the J/F car???? Just asking due to you avatar???

12. RossPreen

RossPreen

Hey Robert, just reading your signature...........it better be close throttle then hit the mag, or it will be BOOM! :D
    Ross.

13. jfrolka

jfrolka

No im from ventura area, just race the n/e 7.60 class in a neil&parks car

14. jfrolka

jfrolka

anything new?

15. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Big news soon.... Currently working on the Master & Richter car with Roger Lee.... More parts on the way and really cool shit coming up!

:)

~Robert M.

16. Mattbee

Mattbee

Wow! Great build!!!

17. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I wanted to Thank You for posting all the great shots of the project.

For me it was like taking a trip down memory lane.

What a wonderful piece of history for so many of us who followed and read about the the great Bebee Brothers car.

My wife's favor saying is the boy's grew up but the father never did.

Hate to say but shes right I just thought the late 50's and the 60's were such a great time for drag racers and as a kid watching the whole thing was really a trip.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. Jimbo

18. RAY With

RAY With

First I have seen of this build and enjoying every minute. Can't hardly wait until you post some more up dates.Years back I use to keep up with these guys and never a dull moment. Thanks for all the pics and time spent doing it!

19. I love the water filler tubes. I have the same thing on my old car. People chuckle when they see them and ask what they are for. When I tell them, they say what? You ran water in the engine? I also have the 1/4 tubing running from the caps to the headers. NHRA frowned upon that and Said "put water on the track and your outta here dude". The tube now run to army canteens.

20. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Got Pipe??? Fresh delivery from my good Man Roger Lee... We are putting the finishing touches on his Master & Richter AA/FD right now in my shop and after a good clean up the work can commence on the car.... So Bitchin! I am very honored to be working with Roger on his project... We have fun for sure!

Here's the Pile -o- Pipe!

[​IMG]

And here's a few pics from Roger's Car... You can see his build thread here if you like?

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=583004&showall=1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers,

Robert M.

21. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Another little trinket arrived yesterday from Tom Hanna. The ever so rare RCS bell housing! Not a real common item and it's absolutely critical that this part is here for the build! The steering box lays right down on top of this thing and tucks under the cowl. This has a 2 step taper on the sides and is the only one made this way. Lakewood's are similar and could pass in a pinch but this is the real deal!

[​IMG]

More news soon,

Robert M.

22. jipp

jipp

im impressed. iv been watching these classics on youtube since finish reading, you are gonna have a blast.. look forward to the future updates.. now off to your friends build thread :)

23. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Hey Folks,

Just got an ever so important package from Ronnie Hampshire today in the mail and thought I should share... Ronnie was ever so helpful to supply me with Patterns from all the various RCS front torsion bar pieces! Side plates, arms, etc.... Super Cool!!! These will get traced and cut up here shortly. I can then weld them up onto the Original RCS torsion Tube that was supplied by Frank Fedak. I'm so excited for all the support and help I'm receiving from the various folks out there in order to pull this off!! Oh, and he tossed in a mint set of Spark Plug porcelains... So Bitchin...

Here's a photo for ya!

[​IMG]

Best Regards,

Robert

24. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Awesome dude!!! I love these updates.

25. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Let’s have a little story....

Some of this History is a repeat from earlier in the post, but I think it's good to take it from the top and revisit some of it leading up the the NEW NEWS that we have!

First off, this project has taken me on a little trip I would have never imagined. Going back to the beginning when I decided to recreate this Bitchin piece of history I had no idea what it's life was beyond the 1966 photos of the car wearing it's Purple Paint and tearing up the LA strips.
    [​IMG]
    All I knew, was that it was cool and was "HANDS DOWN" my Favorite car since reading that magazine for the first time in John Shoemaker's living room at the young age of 12. A lasting impression you might say... This car is the epitome of a Top Fuel Dragster, and for a good solid year back in '66, this car Tore-Ass on the LA boys putting up one hell of a fight. As the project research begins, I start to unearth what really happened with the car beyond my narrow little scope. I learned that Dave Beebe drove for the majority of the time but, sometime in 1967 another certain someone climbed into the seat, John Mulligan. Wow!!! The start of the Beebe and Mulligan legacy was in this car?? Well come to find out John had been involved with the Beebe family for quite awhile and was once the driver of the little Fuel altered etc, but after the Adams, Wayre, & Mulligan AA/FD, this was his next ride. Moving on with the process of gathering pictures here and there, and all of a sudden I notice the car is much longer!
    [​IMG]
    Turns out that sometime in '67 the chassis makes it's way into the shop at Huzar's and get a whole new front half. Still charging hard with ZOOK in the seat they drag it over to another guys shop for a little face lift. Mr. Tom Hanna... No Shit!!! This is the first Green Car???
    [​IMG]
    Wow!! I had no idea! You see, I was always under the impression that the Fighting Irish deal was the one and only car that has now been brought back so perfectly by Dave West and Pat Foster? But sure enough, as you look thru the photos and chase the time line this was car number 1... I never knew until now.
    [​IMG]
    Then comes Phase II, or Phase IV??? Who knows... But the the story get's interesting here! Thanks to the tireless effort of Don Ewald's site I spent many an hour coming thru every possible photo I could drum up! Who's this guy with his head sticking up way beyond the roll bar??? Oh, why it's Leland Kolb!
    [​IMG]
    Well turns out he bought the car and after making a few blasts down the 1320 here and there he crated it up and shipped it down under! Hmmm.... OK, so now the car is in Australia still wearing the Green Stripe paint job and still lettered as B&M! Cool! Surfers Paradise Dragstrip now had their very own Top Fuel Car!! The car get’s a new roll cage and a repaint and continues to be campaigned by Peter Dykes for quite some time until one hard evening of racing in which the entire motor ejects itself from the frame in a blaze of glory!!! The remaining car and pieces were sold that evening to and up and coming racer from the Sydney area known by the name of Jim Read. He proceeds to completely rebuild and restore this fine machine back to 100% condition along with bringing back the Multi Green Stripe Paint job! The car is absolutely gorgeous and continues to thrill the crowds!
    [​IMG]
    Then after a good run with Read behind the wheel, the car takes and interesting turn and is actually converted to a Rear Engine Dragster by a Mr. Fred Perrotto. This was a drastic change to this once beautiful machine and it certainly signaled the beginning of the end for this now ultra famous and well traveled car. After a short and kinda unclear stint under the control of Mr. Perrotto the car was purchased by a fella named Rod Bradshaw. Rod was ready to set the world on fire with his new acquisition, but after dragging it home and giving it the once over it just wasn’t going to work... So rather than tossing more money at the tired old beast the decision was made to end it’s life and move on. Thankfully... Oh Thankfully... Everything was unbolted from the chassis before the next move. The chassis was hauled over to the Local Dumps in Sydney, known as Holroyd Gardens today, and tossed into the pit. Here’s the last remaining shots of the car while it was at Rod’s house.
    [​IMG]
    Well there you have it, the short history from beginning to end on this ultra Bitchin piece of Drag Racing history. The part that blows my mind is how much impact this car had on the Racing community not only in the So-Cal area but across the US and then onto the other side of the world after it’s move to Australia. So many faces, and so many places it just goes on and on...

Now for the BIG NEWS! After many years in isolation, tucked away alongside brush saws, blow torches, and other associated trinkets we have recovered the original front axle from the CAR!!!!!

Here’s a quote from Rod I received via email sometime last night:

"THE AXLE HAS LEFT THE BUILDING". Bob came over last night to pick up the axle. It`s now travelled from Pendle Hill, right passed the chassis "burial site" and over to Bobs house at Ashfield - it`s on it`s way. I feel it`s like a real homecoming for the axle.

The key, is that this front axle has been there for the entire journey and now thanks to these great folks it’s coming home and will be mated with the parts I have been working so hard to scavenge and round up! I’m driving to LA late Sunday night and will be meeting a member of the Qantas airlines team who has volunteered to hand carry this thing back to me vs. risking shipment and the unthinkable possibility of loosing this item!

I have attached a few pics....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fire the next pair!

Robert “Happy Boy” Morris

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  26. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

So the front axel we see pictured here from 1967:
    [​IMG]
    is presently back from hiding in Australia and in your possession for the recreation........ unreal !! Simply unreal.
    Tom S. in Tn.

27. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Hey Tom,

Yep... That's the front axle and it's been there since day 1 when the car was built by Lee Sixt and the Beebe Bros. Even the brackets are all the same and still welded onto the axle. The only thing that is slightly worn is the Chrome. It's being loaded onto the plane Sunday and will arrive in LA Monday morning. This has been in the works for several month now and we have finally linked up with the guy that is going to bring it over.

Super Exciting!

Cheers,

Robert

28. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

One last question; Do you plan to re-plate it and actually use this piece on the recreated car, or will it be held as an artifact with the car ?
    Tom S.

29. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Hey Tom,

I am going to try to work the chrome with polish and steel wool first to see how much I can bring back. If it looks OK the car will debut with this piece in "Patina" form. If not I will go thru the process of stripping and re chroming the axle. But for sure it will be a permanent part of the car.

Thanks,

Robert M.

30. lowtruck

lowtruck
    from Omaha

I love all the research and documentation. Keep up the awesome work and thanks for sharing it all with us.