Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects building a tbucket

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by h2owell, May 11, 2011.

1. h2owell

h2owell

started on the frame have basics done for my 27 mercury t bucket. a lot of measuring and a little welding and a lot of grinding. looks like one of my biggest expense on this project will be grinding wheels.
    I want to thank everyone that has responded to my posts for sharing their build experience and knowledge with a new builder. will post pics when my
    granddaughter can help me again.
    paul:)

2. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Did they make Mercury's in '27? Have fun It's a journey.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mercury speedster body??

4. Oh heck, up in Minnesota we would see the Ford pickups (50's and 60's) from Canada that were sold up there as Mercurys. So I guess you could be unique and do a Mercury script into the pu box tailgate (if your going with a box) - of your Ford T bucket. I think that would be a conversation starter for sure....and a A+ for having a original idea!

5. You've got my curiosity peaked. Waiting to see it.

"Mercury was an automobile marque of the Ford Motor Company launched in 1938 by Edsel Ford, son of Henry Ford, to market entry-level luxury cars slotted between Ford-branded regular models and Lincoln-branded luxury vehicles"

"Keeling Gaines Pulliam Jr. and Charles Ellsworth McCormick of Lexington, Kentucky, and Morris Julian Crutcher of Detroit, Michigan, all graduates of the University of Kentucky at Lexington Mechanical Engineering program organized the Mercury Body Corporation in early 1920 ... a new factory was located in Louisville, Kentucky ...
    After producing an estimated 1600 bodies the firm was sold and reorganized in 1926 as the Jackson Body Company, but soon after withdrew from business."
    [​IMG]

6. Goober
    That's interesting info. I always knew the Mercury mark being the car between the Ford and the Lincoln. But I never knew that there was a Mercury body company in the 20s.

I am interested in seeing this one come to pass.

7. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The Mercury T Speedster body is probably the most desireable one ever made.

8. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

piqued, not peaked

9. $198.00 ! Oh if I only had a time machine and a pocket full of cash

10. They'd just say it was all counterfeit.

11. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

12. Screw the time machine if I just had 198.00.

I cannot wait to see this one come together.

13. Fucking English majors lol

Pique is French for prick -
    I don't know if the slang transfers but ...
    So maybe your curiosity could be stimulated by a prick to the imagination " curiosity is piqued "

Curiosity could also be at the highest level possible, but I suppose that would be said as " my level of curiosity has peaked"

14. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

I am NOT an English major, however I am well-read. Why is it that people feel compelled to denigrate those with a prediliction for proper language usage? When you put something into text...it's out there for a very long time. And people tend to make judgements about how you present yourself in this medium - unless they're just as illiterate as the OP and don't notice or care. This is why you very seldom see my posts/responses using any offensive language. Nothing looks/sounds more stupid than someone that cannot make a statement without dropping inappropirate epithets sprinkled about. I see the F-word in here all the time....how silly to have that be an important part of your desire to express yourself. I never met anyone that was any cooler or tougher because he could use bad language. The world full of potty-mouthed low intellect turds. Why would one want to be associated with people who display such ineptitude?

dj

15. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

yes, I misspelled inappropriate - mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa

16. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

RRRRIIIGGHT :rolleyes:

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

He said "turd".:D

18. Wow, one f bomb caused you all of that anguish. Awe Fuck dude it was joke, have you heard of those? Fuck!

On another note, how ( the fuck) do you know what the guy meant? Maybe his curiosity was at the highest levels imaginable, then It would be peaked right? Could have been caused by a prick or should I say pique . As far as judgments go of things in text, I wonder what folks are going to think of you now?

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  19. daddio211

daddio211

Well this thread went to shit. All for an English lesson?

20. magsnubby

magsnubby
    from Fresno,Ca

Fuck this shit Where the fuck are the pics of the car?

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I second that motion Magsnubby. I'd like to see what he has for a Mercury body or if he is going to run a Mercury engine.

Gents, lets not get in a pissing contest because someone did or didn't use proper English or can't spell worth squat. But on the same token if you are the one or one of the ones who are always getting nailed because of your spelling maybe it's time to use the spell check feature or get one or use a browser that has one. It doesn't really make you look like the sharpest knife in the drawer if you constantly misspell words and use bad grammar even when writing an answer on the board.

H2howell, I can well understand the grinding wheel expense thing. I packed another package of abrasives home the other day including a pack of 9 inch sanding disks for the disk sander on my belt sander.

About the T, what are the plans, Frame? engine, trans, Rear end, front suspension?

22. h2owell

h2owell

Seems like I have raised some eyebrows. Would sure like to have a Mercury Speedster. Great looking auto.
    But to let everyone down a bit, I am building a tbucket pickup using a 52 Mercury 255 flattie and a Mercomatic air cooled tranny. The torque converter is finned like a motorcycle engine that fans the air through the bell housing to cool the tranny fluid. I have been told they were good tranny's.
    Building on the frame now, slowly. Do a lot of looking and measuring and
    a little welding and lots of grinding. Need to constantly clean the garage,
    Mama may want to put her caddy back in there one day.
    Thanks for all interest and advice, could not do this with out it!!!!!!!!!!:)

23. Please be sure to keep us up-to-date with plenty o' pictures!

24. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Or maybe at least one.