Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My '61 Biscayne build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hemifalcon, Dec 23, 2010.

1. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

Are you close to paint? What color is the interior going to be? Are the bumpers/trim going back on?

2. Bodywork I have not started yet but there will not be a huge amount to do as the car is fairly straight and its going to be white. The interior is factory blue and needs to be redone. I will redo it as factory original. The trim I plan to put back on and the rear bumper for sure but I am undecided about the front bumper yet. Any opinions?

3. biscaynes

biscaynes

nice belairbubble! that jewel blue is a great color when it's fresh. :rolleyes:

4. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

If ya'll don't already know about it, go to BruneauPerformance.Ca (a Canadian site) and check out what he has to offer for these cars. Butch/56sedandelivery.

5. padorey

padorey

I just have to jump in ant tell belairbubble and hemifalcon both of you guys are headed in the right direction. I had a mild custom 61 belair bubbletop in the mid60's.
    And just had to have another one in the mid 90's. Never did get into raceing but loved customs. Attached pics of 61 in the 90's, thanks for protecting us wile we sleep.
    P.S.

6. padorey

padorey

P.S. I put a little 61 Chevy in my new ride. ^1 Dash in 53 Buick

Attached Files:

7. Geargoyle Curtis

Geargoyle Curtis

Cool build and similiar to what I did with mine. I went from the I6 to a hopped up 406. I am subscribed and look forward to your progress. Curtis
    [​IMG]

8. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

Padorey.. Very cool looking custom.. I like it!

Geargoyle, Your Belair looks great.. Good stance.. It looks good low--i'm gonna have mine riding a bit higher though.. :) Love that smokey burnout photo you have in your album!

Here are some new pics guys-sorry about their size. Puny pictures via cell phone camera.

So, the fenderwells are coming out--so as to not be hacked up for the fenderwell exiting headers. The passenger side one had some decent rot up by the front mounting area by the headlight--so, no sense trying to leave that in there..
    The entire front end was disassembled to make cleaning it up a little easier. All the grease from the years past will be knocked off, and the frame and all surfaces cleaned, but not painted. The firewall will be scrubbed, but not too seriously. Gonna go ahead and tune up the front end with any joints that need to be replaced, and the control arm bushings are gonna get swapped for new ones. New shocks and some V8 springs are getting mounted to help out the front end with the big block. New rear pan sections were welded in to repair the only real rot in the body. That's pretty much where it's at right now.
    Again, sorry for the crummy pictures guys..
    -John

ps. Does anyone know of a source for the lower line of Belair or Impala interior upholster/door panels??

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  9. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

one more pic displaying the beautiful work done on the drivers side by mother nature.. :)

Attached Files:

10. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

Subscribed. Just sent a check for my very own '61. I am giddy like a school girl.

11. 60 GASSER

60 GASSER

<<<<<<<got a 60 over there, love the 61's probably the hardest to find of all!

12. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

Sorry guys.. no updates.. Still in Afghanistan.. :) I'll get some pics when my dad gets the motor/trans into it..

13. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

Doing these chrome 427 Valve Covers vice the M/T's down below..
    [​IMG]
    Here's the engine installed for now..

[​IMG]

And, the proposed exhaust exit. Not doing the fenderwell headers anymore.. Just 3" all the way out back..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]\

You can see the full size photos in my album for the '61

14. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

Now, i need a cool old dual snorkel intake from the 60's?? I'm not too concerned with the manufacturer, or auto manufacturer (chev, buick, olds, MOPAR, etc).. any help? Or any other appopriate air cleaner ideas which you may have (has to fit under the hood!)

15. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

We need more pictures. I am loving this build. It is making me excited to work on mine. In hind sight, I should really be taking some during the process pictures of mine. Well loving yours.

16. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

Thanks man.. Just keeping going on it.. I'm more or less the 'designer' at a distance as my dad is piecing this together while i'm overseas.. Here's the trim tag.. The headers got done this weekend. Exhaust should be done next weekend. As long as my dad is able to keep going, it may be a runner in a month or so.. :)
    Aluminum Radiator should be in during the next two weeks (stock appearing design--will be painted black..)

Parts to come still
    Water Pump
    Intake Gaskets
    one-wire alternator kit
    new rear axle retainers (arggghhhh)
    Needing single v-belt pulleys for short water pump, alternator, and crank (no aluminum!)
    and other stuff.. keeps on comin'!!

Attached Files:

17. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Try SMS Fabrics in Oregon...or their website, just add a .com to the end of their name and it shouuld pop up. They carry original fabric, vinyl and even door panels and some embossed logos...

R-

18. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

Thanks for that.. Just sent them a request for samples.. Good resource possibly! Thank you again!

19. THE ONE

THE ONE
    from PHOENIX AZ

Cool build, I went the same direction as you are going with my 61. I wanted that 60's era super stock look. I have attached a picture for some inspiration and subscribed. Oh and I love your wheel and tire combo.

Attached Files:

• bis.jpg
      bis.jpg
      File size:
      104.2 KB
      Views:
  20. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

Good looking car.. really.. Can you post up some more?

21. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love it , here's mine.

Attached Files:

22. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

Mannnn..
    Another good looking '61 Biscuit.. I'm guessing mine is gonna be the only 4x4 standing unit here!! :)

23. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

Got the exhaust basically done-- Got a set of pulleys on the way, and opted to get a sway bar to try and keep the front end from diving with the BBC in it now.. Maybe running in a month or so??

[​IMG]
    Rear view, new fuel tank installed as well.. Was gonna run the exhaust all the way out the back, but 3.5" exhaust won't fit up over the rear axle without moving the rear shocks, or diagonal link... So, dumping just in front of the axle.

[​IMG]
    That's some big drain pipe, eh?? I think with the way the car sits, there won't be any problems with them ever making ground contact..

[​IMG]
    Position of the mufflers as seen from the side.

[​IMG]
    Before final welding...

[​IMG]
    From the front to the back view..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Muffler location..

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  24. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

Small bit of disassembly.. :) Trans and engine all came back out for cleaning/and some partial detailing.. Sometime in the next couple years the car will be fully resto'd by me.. Just not this time around..

[​IMG]

Here is teh front end all disassembled once again..

[​IMG]

And, the drums/spindles removed for cleaning/degreasing.

[​IMG]

sandblasted.

[​IMG]

..and a little fresh chassis black for keeping the rust off following sand-blasting.

[​IMG]

1/2 and 1/2.. You can see here that the motor mount pedestals were welded to the X-member

[​IMG]

Motor mounts welded solid to the frame..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

just a light coat to keep it from rusting soon..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  25. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

engine and trans back in..

[​IMG]

26. sololobo

sololobo

Dude, I love these cool post cars the roof line is awesome with that great overhang on the rear. My pal had a 61 2-dr post Bisc that was a hi-way patrol car 348 fourbarrel with 3-spd o.d., he put the 3-duece set up on it and it kicked ass. I love what you are doing -, best of luck with the build. ~sololobo~

27. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Man that is coming along awesome !!!
    You and your Dad do some really nice work..
    Love those Biscayne's....
    Cheers..........

28. outlaw256

outlaw256

lovin that car man.61 and 62 are some of my favorite 60s cars.im doing a 67 impala now for a hwy66 trip this fall. just about at the same spot on ours as you are on yours.but im using a 283 for this trip(damn gas prices).ill be watchin this thread for sure.

29. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

Yeah.. I originally set out for a Bubbletop--bought this one back in 2002.. Been holding onto it, trime for it to get done.. Thanks for the comments guys--she's coming along.. shopping online right now to get some gauges, a remote trans cooler, an electric fan (the engine compartment will have some newer stuff in it, whilst the rest of the car remains 'old'), looking for an old P-Case posi unit for the rear end, and some other misc stuff..

Thanks a bunch.. I'm merely the 'designer' behind my '61 however being overseas at this time.. The '62 VW in my other Album is my work.. This '61 might be running in the next month.. hopefully..

Yeah.. I've always liked the '61, since my first attempt to buy a rusted out bubbletop in Ohio at 16 years of age.. Drove from Wisconsin to Ohio for the ultimate rusted out disappointment. This one came from Sacramento, CA--been a long road just holding onto this one.. Thanks again for the compliments guys..

[​IMG]
    new brakes put on up front..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  30. farmer12

farmer12

It's starting to come together, looking good!