Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need flathead advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farcus1, May 10, 2011.

1. farcus1

farcus1

I have a 51 8BA that I am going to use in an early frame with a Model A body and want to use the closed driveline and tranny to go with it. What flywheel housing should I use? I see the ones for a Mercury that fit the 8BA and look like it has the bolt pattern for something like a 39 tranny but I don't know that much about this area. Any help would be appreciated.

2. George/Maine

George/Maine

The Mercury flywheel and pressure have a evenly spaced bolt pattern,and 49 50 had larger apart fingers and 10 inch clutch.

3. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Yes the 49-51 Merc or the F-1 big mouth bell is what you need.

4. flathead freak

flathead freak

I used the f1 bell 39 trans and a shortened 37 drive line with a 325 rear gear works fine just enjoy it flathead freak

5. farcus1

farcus1

6. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

7. George/Maine

George/Maine

That its ,now need starter plate.

8. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

Yep, you will also need the starter plate, a heavy stamped steel plate that forms the lower half of the flywheel cover, and the starter bolts to it. Best to buy a matched pair, as there are different types for different starter setups.

9. farcus1

farcus1

I don't have the advantage of the matched set. I do have the bell housing off the motor for the 51 car and the starter plate that goes with it, will it work?

10. I've read before that you need the bellhousing, starter plate *and* matching starter.

11. ^^^^Bingo! Nevala's right...

From the Flathead V-8 forum... A .pdf file on bellhousing ID's and matching starter plates, etc... Hope it helps...

http://www.flatheadv8.org/bellhousing.pdf