Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Willys Gas Coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by langy, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

Beyond grey primer, you're gonna have to build saggy door supports and the car will have to be bump started all the time LOL.

2. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I hope not !!!

3. shane85

shane85

4. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

On the plus side, it'll have a blown hemi.

5. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Show off :D

6. ScottV

ScottV

Out of an AMC Matador Police car no doubt !!!

[​IMG]

7. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

Awww, but the bobbies don't have Matadors over there so Langy is just gonna have to smuggle one outta the states.

8. Langly, Ive heard that aftermarket 460 ford intakes will fit on the big cad motors. May be something to look into. Cool build also.

9. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Yep they do but with work, to be honest i dont think 2 x 4 barrels is in my budget at the moment so will probably start with just one and then improve the motor over time, Thanks for the input its appreciated.

10. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Weather been a bit on off today but managed to get a bit done amongst the interuptions.
    Originally was using a Vega box but just not enough clearance on engine as its a bit lower in the frame than most, Alternative was to use a Land Rover box, these are very underated and easy to mount and work real nice.
    The box is fitted with a built in column which was no use to me so i cut it off just above the top bearing, doing this means a oil seal has to be fitted on top of the top bearing, a 1.75" OD 3/4" ID seal presses straight in.
    The iiner column was then cut down, the majority of it is tube but the bottom couple of inches is bar so 2 flats were ground on it and then it was fitted with a double D UJ.
    I will bore a 2" hole in the side rail when the engine is next out as the hole has to have a sleeve welded in to the hole, also the mounting bolts need sleeves welding in also.

[​IMG]

While having a tidy up i came across a pair of shocks i had bought at some time, they are new and had the right dimensions so i thought i would get them fitted today.

[​IMG]

The shocks had a 2 bolt lower fixing so that was removed and i spun a couple of adaptors up on the lathe for the shock to mount on and also space them off the front axle slightly.

[​IMG]

The top mount was made from 1/8" flat plate, a few holes were added so they are slightly less boring.

[​IMG]

All welded and bolted in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Spent yesterday evening making up some 60's style wheelie bars, I did a bit of searching around and got contacted by an old gas racer from the 60's who gave me the info i needed.
    I started with a pair of 5" OD steel wheels with a rubber tyre that i found on ebay, then my mate Mark Bull donated a pair of 1956 International truck springs which i cut 3" behind the centre bolt.
    Next i plasma cut a axle mounting bracket from 3/8" plate and used 56 Chevy truck U bolts to clamp it together.
    I'm pretty pleased how they came out !!! Just hope i don't need them !!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  12. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Say what???

13. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Ha ha ha ha ha

14. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Langy, You never disappoint. Each and every update shows the progress and craftmanship that you are capable of. Way to go there Mate !

Dave

15. Yes I am enjoying this build also! Interesting because the car is fiberglass, I don't think the body has to be steel. For me it has more to do with the style you build the car. I think you are setting a new standard. Very cool project!

16. gasserkiwi

gasserkiwi

hey there langy, nice build, duno if this is of any use but i used an early transit steering box in mine and it worked out real nice, looks good too.
    wheelie bars are cool as is the rest of the car.

17. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Very kind of you to say Dave, thanks.

I forgot this pic in last update.

[​IMG]

18. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Kev, I got my initial inspiration from your very own project.

19. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks mate, I take it yours is RHD ??? mine is a left hooker.

20. About the Glass body...I was shootin' the breeze with Gene Altzinger at Bowling Green about my Willys being glass, He replied shoot, the only steel on most of the old gassers was the roof and quarters!!! No big deal !!!!

21. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I'm still a little disgusted about the way you have to make everything look so precise. You're making me look like I'm fabricating my stuff with toenail clippers. Heck, you don't even have any dirt on the ground. I've been rolling around for two weeks doing my floor pans, and can't figure out where the bucket fuls of dirt come from. It's like someone throws shovel fuls of dirt and metal shavings all over the garage when I'm gone. You make it look like surgery. I'm going to go shake my head now.:D

22. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

It certainly don't bother me mate but there are those out there that don't seem to like the glass body :(

23. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Hahaha, you cracked me up :)

24. violet springs

violet springs

I have been following your build from the beginning and look forward to your updates. You have some very impressive fabrications skills.

25. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks man, whats the low down on the car in your avatar then ??? looks dead cool

26. violet springs

violet springs

It a was a tube chassis car that I am Gasserizing. I'll post a build on it some time in the future.

27. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

You wouldn't happen to know this measurement would you ??? Or anyone else ?

[​IMG]

28. When it comes to fitting a Willys fiberglass hood the only important thing is that the body line is straight with the rest of the car. Put some masking tape down the line so you can see it easily and then either trim the hood to lower it or re mount the fenders until everything lines up, you may have to do both or add some glass to correct gaps. Those Willys with uphill hoods don't look so good.

29. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Ah ha, thats exactly what i did Kev, except i used black insulation tape :)
    Just curiosity really, I trimmed the bottom front hood edge slightly and it seems to all line up pretty good now.
    I need to make some spreaders to fit inside the hood as the sides are flexing in slightly, I'm not using hinges on the hood or the trunklid just holding them both in place with pins.

30. koolkemp

koolkemp

I agree 100% its the build style and the quality of this build that reeled me in !!