Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Coolvairs Lets See Them

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dons t, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23

Here is one I picked up not too long ago. '61 Monza 500, 65-68 110hp engine, needs a head. Somebody's old custom that came up from California. Any Cali guys recognize it? Interesting that it ended up in Alaska.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hotdoggin DaddyO likes this.
  2. gsp392

gsp392

Look at my ad and classifieds so you can have your own in this lineup.

3. Dennis Holly

Dennis Holly

Dick Griffin, CHEVAIRS RACING TEAM

Attached Files:

4. G9mickey

G9mickey

Are these custom skirts or can they be purchased?

5. The very earliest corvairs had a problem with the front end. GM was already taking care of the problem before Nader decided that there was money to be made by bad mouthing them.

My neighbor has a '62 Wagon that I'm still trying to talk him out of.

6. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

x2!

7. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

i didnt have time to read all the posts, but up to page 8 there were no Yenko Stingers shown (maybe a couple racers). no one remembers them?

8. BadassBadger

BadassBadger
    from wisconsin

yes they are made by foxcraft see them on ebay all the time

9. Chopperrides

Chopperrides

Here's mine I hope to get it done before too long with gas prices the way they are!

[​IMG]

10. Choptop

Choptop

Anyone know a good Corvair engine rebuilder on the west coast?

I've got one thats been sitting for 40 years, needs seals and a good cleaning... but probably not a full rebuild.

11. Hellfish

Hellfish

Do it yourself. They're really easy to work on!
    Start with Corvair Underground, Raffee Corvair, and California Corvairs. If they can't help you, they should at least be able to point you in the right direction (and supply you with the parts!)

12. Choptop

Choptop

yeah... I was afraid of that :D

do the engines come out pretty easy?

13. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

The Corvair was the start of the Camaro. GM made the late corvairs for the cheap, little sport car market. With Ford making the Mustang availible with a V-8 and the rear-engine Corvair never taking off, the Camaro was born.

14. Hellfish

Hellfish

Actually, the Corvairs did pretty well. They built them from 1960-69 with only 1 major body re-design. There's a reason there are so many in junkyards and classics classified... Chevy sold a LOT of them. They started out as an economy car, like the Falcon, but Chevy quickly realized the sportiness of them, and you can see that in the 65-69 redesign.

Chop Top, I'll send you a PM. Too much to cover and I don't want to hijack the thread.

15. Choptop

Choptop

here's mine... will be getting it up and going soon. looking for tire and wheel ideas....

[​IMG]

16. zuzulo56

zuzulo56
    from L.A.

whoa, nellie...a dang beached-swamp buggy!

17. CShroom

CShroom

Check with Corsa (Corvair Club) there will be a link to a club nearby. I would bet good money there is someone relatively nearby that handles Corvair motors. And if you get involved, I remember the clubs would sometimes get together to help thrash out on someone's ride.

But dropping the motor isn't too bad. Pull the axles, One mount at the rear(front) of the motor and two bolts at the transmission side. And of course all the obvious stuff linkage, wiring, etc.

A good floor jack will get all but the most stubborn out and drug around the yard. And typically two decently fit people can carry a motor around.

And a word of advise, drop it all. While it is possible to just get the motor out by its lonesome( i have done it) it is so painful that it is just easier to drop everything and separate the motor from the trans.

The seals and such are seriously easy. Not much different than anything else on wheels. If you can, just do them yourself.

I have been out of them for a long time, but if i can offer a hand, pm.

18. Very easy... 2 jackstands and a floor jack are all you need, a trans cradle makes it safer, but I've never used one... Once you drop the engine, it's light enough to scoot off the jack by hand and start disassembly... Think VW with 2 extra cylinders.

19. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Whitewalls and spider caps on gloss-black steel wheels. I don’t think a four-lug spider cap is commercially available, but you could make some - or perhaps upgrade to five-lug wheels.

If you go five-lug, I’ve always thought Raider Tri-Rib mags would look good on an early model.

-Dave

20. Hellfish

Hellfish

You weren't kidding, that is clean!

FYI, 13" tires are getting hard to find. ALL tire manufacturers quit making the stock Corvair size a couple of years ago. I had to really hunt for mine. Your best bet would be to upgrade to 14s and go 5 lug. I should have. Every once in awhile I see some Cragar-like 4-lug wheels, but not often and usually for more than I want to spend!

21. Choptop

Choptop

hmmmmmm.... I love me some tri-ribs...

here is a quick photochop

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  22. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

That looks awesome! Do that.

-Dave

23. Hellfish

Hellfish

Maybe it's me, but WWW look a little out of place on a car that new, but the tri-ribs look cool.

24. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I like 'em, but then I keep thinking there are late models that would look good with them (Chrysler 300C, Ford Flex).

If it's any consolation, it wouldn't take much to remove most of the hints that it isn't a phantom '60 or '61 ragtop.

-Dave

25. Choptop

Choptop

i hear ya... but I think I kinda like it... Gives a nice overall look to the car. Brings some of the "white" of the top and the int. down lower

26. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Spotted in the parking lot at Road America this weekend. My bad photos don't show how nice this car actually is.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  27. SeaMountain

SeaMountain

======================================================

Not that car.... I bought it and sold it on ebay.... $300 /$800 [sniped]

The barber in PHX sent it to a junkyard... Hellfish bought it for $500 minus engine, etc...

He had trouble selling it...went back to AZ... latest guy, last week, picked it up for a song.... not much left..

We all had dreams of Big $$$ GGGG

28. richardlw

richardlw

Here is a before and after of mine.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. jipp

jipp

heh, quite the before shot. only thing i know is i have a engine from a corvair.. not sure what to do with it, but its there.
    chris.

30. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor