Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Knoxville NSRA

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by seadog, May 6, 2011.

1. ironrodder

ironrodder

I also was told the argument that there was too many gray hairs. I told them I'm not going to be buried in any of my cars. My son and others will still be running around in them. I really think it was a money decision but it hasn't seemed to grown the events. It seems the increase in the post '48 cars just offset guys like me that quit NSRA. So far it's just a wash. And a loss for a lot of rodder's that supported them for a long time.

2. carl4675

carl4675
    from Conroe, TX

I think the attendance is down for a combination of reasons....I quit going because of the changes in the years....I believe this year you can get in with a 1981 car.....don't you know they made some real hot rods that year......

3. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

$70.00 admission will buy almost 20 gallons of gas here in Patinaville. I get about 14mpg so that's about 280 miles I can drive my car rather than showing it.
    Me at a car show........fuggedaboutit!

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  4. Danny, you're crazy..... it won't take that long. :eek:

I spent two days at the NATS South with family & friends. We had fun together. The late models that were there were, for the most part, were as nice as the pre-49 stuff. There was some shitty pre & post-49 stuff too - always has been.

I'm sure the recent weather in the south, Mother's Day, & gas prices had something to do with the turn out but the main problem is the fact that the NSRA has alienated their base with the sliding 20 year rule.

The vast majority of the "NSRA membership" hasn't updated their cars since the NSRA was on top of the world 20 years ago. If they have built a car within the past 20 years it's a "1-800-BLISTRPAC" special. The guys who have "kept up" are hitting Goodguys events. A GG event just has a totally different atmosphere.

I said it when the NSRA went to the 20 year sliding cutoff & I stand by it still - It's like opening a nightclub in a nursing home. The young guys aren't buying it. I'll continue to attend the NATS South because it's here in town & I'll hope that the NATS in Louisville continues to do well but the NATS South is on its way down.

JH

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  5. fbama73

fbama73

Somebody shows up in a Deuce with a Nissan motor and instead of getting a rope, they let him in? Reason enough for me to not join or go.

6. Honest Charley, Coker Tire, & even Paul Ellis (all local vendors) weren't even there.

JH

7. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

No Pro/Street Yugos?:mad: I thought there would be at least one by now.

Frank

8. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I love newer cars but think they should have gone to a sliding year.. maybe a 45 yr or as Duece suggested set it at 50.. There are other shows that will allow the others in.. (and I love malibu wagons...)

9. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

i know honest chuckie had some employees who lost their homes in the tornadoes. not sayin thats why they weren't there i'm just sayin. find any elky parts this time??

10. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

No.

What he said. I drove to Mt. Vernon, Illinois today to do some Hot Rod trading. So gas prices aren't the issue, it's all those Camero's I saw headed out of Tennessee. NSRA has screwed themselves on this one.

There you go.... That speaks volumes of how unimportant this show has become.

11. i have never seen/heard soo many "car" guys cry and bitch about looking at cars then i do here

12. Sorry some of us don't live up to your expectations.:rolleyes: HRP

13. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Time to move on?

14. wkends

wkends
    from Kentucky

I went for years before the NSRA higher ups changed the pre 48 rules. I will not be back. I miss the guys that I used to see every year but I will run in to them somewhere else. I just wait and go to Nashville goodguys show. It has nothing to do with gas prices or mothers day, just NSRA's piss poor attitude. Their rules,Their game. I'm out along with several others it sounds like. I watched my grandson play baseball on saturday and took mom to dinner on sunday. Life is good.

15. 4ever18

4ever18

Did any of you check out the '80/'81 Geo Metro 4 door (dirty and missing a wheel cover)?

16. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

This got posted on one of the history threads this AM. How far can you run your blown Hemi at this price? Certainly would hear any complaints then, eh? I'm going to Floyd's Sinclair!!! Gary

[​IMG]

17. Topper

Topper

My NSRA membership comes due 09/11. Kinda ironic isn't it? I love to drive my car, pre 48, and always will. I will not renew my membership and made that decision with a little sadness. NSRA has been a part of my life for over 30 years. All of you are right, time changes and I will finally bite the bullett. I am also a tech and sales rep for a major street rod supplier. I quit showing at all of their shows about 10 years ago. One of the Big Wigs chewed my wife out for bringing me a ladder while the car give away was going on. We were even a major prize sponsor. I voted with our money. I still don't think they heard.

18. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I'm with you man. I gave it a chance last year--the character of the show just changed--it's just another big open show and they don't care as long we people keep coming. I'll save my limited travel funds (3 small kids and only a couple of big show in my budget each year) for somewhere else.

19. the-rodster

the-rodster

Wow, that must have been a rare pre-production prototype....

since the Geo division wasn't created until 1989.

Rich

20. twochops

twochops

I took a car for first time last year to the NSRA show in my
    home town Kalamazoo MI.a chopped 57 Buick.
    Was surprised by the number of long time NSRA members
    that come over and Thanked me for bringing it.
    TwoChops

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  21. jmon77

jmon77
    from Tennessee

Well I just typed a huge paragraph and by the time I was done I had to re-sign in and the stupid thing is gone. Anyways long story short, NSRA is boring, like most of the other events. Streetrods have been overdone since the 80's. You've seen one you've seen them all. They have no soul. Might as well drive a new 2011 vehicle because that's all these are with old bodies. Sometimes fake bodies. Hey NSRA get a clue, how about changing it up. Adding new things. Stop charging people so dang much. It's a yawn fest. Might as well get used to the later car stuff. 55,56,57 Chevy's, Camaros, Novas, Chevelles, Mustangs. Those were and are the big draws in the Southern states. Same old Vendors are boring. Oh yeah and the food usually sucks there too! I'm not a NSRA member, but just from going I can tell that the people who run these events are a buch of rich old gold chainers who do not get it. Things change NSRA. You had better change too or you won't be around long. Fresh blood is definately needed, but the guys that run these events won't let that happen.

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  22. 26 roadster

26 roadster

live in Knoxville and haven't missed a thing for 15 years. I traded my 26 roadster and don't have a hot rod now but the Camaro, V8 Ranger, TVR, F/BGALT car and my dailies keep me busy.

23. 4ever18

4ever18

It was sitting there, with the NSRA sticker in the lower left side of the windshield. Since the cut off year was '81, I assumed the year model. Apparently, so did the folks accepting the entry. I was wondering if anyone else noticed it.

24. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I've noticed "beater" entries a few times at shows, but it's usually an old Maverick or pickup, something like that. One at a show doesn't smack of being a post-49 protest to me, either. These cars are not modified hot rods or show cars. It would seem the owners and their families just register for the show like anyone else and drive it in, to be part of the show or to perhaps be with friends. Could it be a cheaper way to bring the kids for the weekend? Or are the owners planning on building a car? Have they joined NSRA / GG and are just checking things out, whether or not the car they bring is the car they want to rebuild? But it's really strange that the event staff isn't smart enough to stop them if the car is too new, give them their money back, and have them enter the show thru the spectator gate. While there's no rule against entering a beater (if the wheels are red it's a show car / lifestyle statement, right?) at least it should be within the elligible year group. Gary

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  25. doubleshot

doubleshot

Live in Knoxville area. Joined NSRA to take my '23 bucket. Twice- first and last. '23 bucket next to a '68 volkswagon don't look right except at Fri nite cruise in. Check out this new VSRA. Vintage Street Rod Association... http://vsra-usa.com/

26. brandon

brandon

that just shows it more of a money deal ...a buddy went down with his little black morris. he had a ball and actually drove the car ........more than off the trailer.:D

27. I thinks NSRA shot themselves in the foot when they changed to that 30 year sliding arrangement. I mean who in their right mind would want to pay to see an '81 Toyota? Not me. With gas prices they way they are and food and lodging prices I am going to be very picky about the shows I attend and you can bet none of them will be NSRA events.

28. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I voted with my wallet when they made the decision to change the acceptance year. I had been a member since the second year the NSRA started and felt a kick in the teeth when thay changed the cutoff. I'll bet Hotrodprimer and I could have a very neat conversation about "being stabbed in the back"

Frank

29. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

My NSRA number is less than 2100, and I am a life time member :eek:

I cannot stop my membership but
    I can STOP taking my cars to the NSRA events
    :D

I was a NSRA faithful, went to Nats South and Nats in Louisville every year. Went to a few other NSRA events over the years ( Tampa, York, Oklahoma )

but no more.

Charlotte GoodGuys is only 100 miles from my home and I only go there every now and then.:rolleyes:
    Shades of the Past and the LA Roadster Show will be the events I plan to attend in the future.

30. kool32

kool32
    from Kentucky

I was lucky. I had decided to go ahead and renew my membership, wrote check and mailed to NSRA. They returned it, saying I was $2 short. Tore up check and thanked the NSRA.