Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gennie Shifter... Still in business?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SamIyam, May 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I logged onto their site... and they have some archeic ordering system inquiry thing... you can't buy direct, their Blog hasn't been updated since Dec. 2010 and then I went to e-bay to find one, and nada, nothing... just one guy selling one he had for a TH350.

I need one for a 700R4 that is stock Model A height.

I had a Gennie shifter on my other Model A and loved it.

I don't like the Lokar because they have that stupid button in the shift knob and you can't run any old style knob...

Help is much appreciated!

Sam

2. Jay Ess

Jay Ess
    from New York

3. Sam, you are slow, do a search for Streamline.............killed the brand/line.

4. chaddilac

chaddilac

Get a lokar and buy the adapter to run "Any Shift Knob"!!

5. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

I just bought a powerglide shifter from them about 2 months ago. Had a defective part and they sent it out no questions asked. Good guys !! I'd buy from them again. their shifters have a detent so it looks like a stock shifter. Lokar has the push button know in the middle.

6. Donnda

Donnda

7. BadLuck

BadLuck

Not sure about Gennie.. but i have a lokar too.. I bought the adapter for 20 bucks.. now i can run any knob I want...

8. I've heard conflicting news about the company... hope they can pull it together because I really like and prefer "Gennie" shifters!

9. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

I spoke with them about 2 weeks ago about some adapter parts for one I had. Just googled them and called there number 1.877.7.Gennie
    I could have ordered on phone with them if i wanted too. I did hear the same rumor tho.

http://www.gennieshifter.com/index-contact.php

10. I am gonna call them and report back...

Sam

11. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

12. W R O N G ! :eek: That is an entirely different company owned by the Hoffman Group. Do a search for opinions on them on here as well. :cool: NOT the same company as Gennie.

13. Weasel

Weasel

SamIyam what length do you need? I am not at the shop right now to check length but I have a new one for a 700R4 I was hoarding....

14. Hi guys!

Well, I got my shifter earlier this week!

I called Gennie... the guy was really nice... and said he could sell one to me, but would rather not take business from a shop he sells them through.

So, he gave me the name of Sonoma County Street Rods in Peteluma.

The guy was real nice, had some of the parts in stock and some had to be drop shipped from Gennie.

Well, they all came earlier this week.

All in all it wook about 2 weeks to get all the stuff... but it's all Made in the USA, it's a great product and I can run any shift knob on it and not hassle with any "kits" or goofy knobs like you do on the LoKar...

Would not hesitate to order another one!

Sam

15. Thanks for the Info and Great news Sam!

16. Gman0046

Gman0046

17. I've had both... and the Lokar doesn't even compare to a Gennie...

Sam

18. Jims35

Jims35

Got a lokar ,junk, Starts in park,neutral and drive or neutral only ,depending on how i set it . It has been adjusted many times per their instructions and has never been right. I plan too put my own safety start switch on the linkage later this summer and disconnect theirs.

19. I had one with the same problem-I spoke with them about it and they told me how to adjust the linkage so it worked right.Never had a problem since.

20. madmike3434

madmike3434

actually gennie shifter company is now owned by www.vapinc.com a denver colorado based company. I was having a telephone conversation with todd an employee about a guide 7 7/8" super ray driving light lens, which they also happen to sell.

Somehow the discussion turned to gennie shifter and HE SAID they own them now.....what what....really.??? Anyway the conversation turned to whether they were ever going to re-release those 7" wide sbc & bbc cast removable 2 piece top covers that have 16 valve cast into them and look like dual overhead camshaft LT5 from the zr1 vette motor. He said not at this time and mentioned gene winfield was there looking for some of the parts for them as he was building a car he was going to use them on a car for the sema show.??

I also mentioned to him that the other really trick 2 pc wide top rocker cover that was a similar design and made by LARSEN engineering of michigan or indianna back in the late 70's , was also for sale, the company and molds. Speaking to Doug the owner in florida later on, he has just sold everything to an arizona gearhead, to use his words.

mike

21. aussiesteve

aussiesteve
    BANNED

The old STREAMLINE Shell game.
    VAPINC(vintage auto parts) and GENNIE SHIFTER are both owned by STREAMLINE and always have been.

By the way,TODD who fed you the bullshit is the owner

So it is just the same BULLSHIT

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  22. QUIT YELLING !:D
    And as pointed out by Aussiesteve, any way you cover it up, it's still the same Streamline, Vintage Auto group owned by Todd Gold.

23. madmike3434

madmike3434

Obviously you 2 have an issue or issues with streamline / vapinc that i am unaware of in a thread somewhere on this site. I really don't care what it is, i was responding to the original posts theme.
    mike

24. I didn't say anything to indicate a problem, I just pointed out that it is the same company that has owned Gennie for quite a few years now. And I was only commenting as your post made it sound like this was a new development that might get peoples hopes up, and it is not - they have owned it for a number of years.

As for issues others have had, do a search and you will find folks opinions of Streamline/ Vintage Auto parts/ Gennie, some of it isn't pretty.

25. Weasel

Weasel

So if Todd Gold still owns Streamline, VAP Inc and Gennie Shifter - what happened - why did one or all of them close down and how come they are still around? Inquiring Weasels wish to know....

26. I don't think any of them are closed down. All the web sites are up.

27. 35WINDOW

35WINDOW

I was in Streamline yesterday, and the shelves were full of Gennie, Real Parts and all of the other stuff they sell.........they don't look like they are going out of business anytime soon.......

28. hemi

hemi

I was there last week. Gennie did have a problem obtaining some component parts over the winter, but they are back on track, filled all their back orders and are chugging along fine... None of the companies are closed down or have closed. You hens can get back to your egg sitting...

29. Shell game, daddies money, give it a few months...........................and use the search

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.