Register now to get rid of these ads!

solder or replace brake line?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dallasdrifter, May 8, 2011.

1. dallasdrifter

dallasdrifter
    from dallas tx

I searched on here and couldn't find a clear answer about pinched brake lines(hardline). So I thought I would see if anyone has an answer to my problem. I was dicking around with some hosing I was removing from the fenderwell. one thing led to another due to bad lighting, and I ended up pinching a hole in my line by the coil. Can I solder it or flux weld it? or do you advise replacing the line? do the replacement lines come flared? this is on an all drum falcon if that helps. thanks, ray

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  2. 30roadster

30roadster

Do it right... replace line.

3. Koz

Koz

Definitly a replacement! AutoZone, Napa, etc. have brake lines dirt cheap. It just ain't worth it. Pull the line and measure it to get the closest length. I highly reommend the epoxy coated lines. They form beautifly by hand and last longer than a Falcon.

My 2 Cents.

4. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

normal brake pressure can exceed 1200 psi. Do you have really trick solder?

5. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

6. hotrod_32

hotrod_32

only one thing to do...replace !

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Replace. When in ANY doubt, always replace.

You can buy pre-flared lines in numerous lengths, or buy a double-flaring too and DIY.

8. Replace it ! IF it was a band spanking new line (I'm assuming it wasn't) you had damaged then you would possibly ok to cut the damage out and flare each end / fit a union . I don't recommend you do this with an old line . Bundy tube/fittings are cheap compared to some of the consequences of not doing this job the right way .

9. Soldering or welding up of a brake line is a no no,,I mean NO NO.

NAPA or any other reputable auto parts houses have brake line in various lengths,already flared.
    Take your old 'coil' off,,un-roll in to straight as possible,,measure it,,go to parts house.
    Get a new stick of line that's a little bit longer & make a new 'coil',,install,,bleed brakes,,drive.

Safety first here on the HAMB!

10. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Soldering a brake line = death wish !

11. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Solder is for wiring and radiators, not brake lines. Another strong recommendation to replace from here in Kansas.

12. dallasdrifter

dallasdrifter
    from dallas tx

alright. I see a whole hearted agreement on replacing the line. Thanks for the advice. I will take off the line tomorrow. I see that oreilly sells the length i need for 25 bucks.

13. clockwork31

clockwork31

brakes and steering, two things that needs to be "like new" all the time, REPLACE the line. Better be safe than sorry !

14. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

The amount of pressure that can be put through a brake line and to solder it?? is Russian Roulette. It would be only a matter of time. Replace it without even thinking about it

15. Of course you need to replace it

unless it has great sentimental value or something JK

16. The parts store has the line you need for 25.00? Look for a new parts store. Steel line is cheap.

17. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

:eek: SOLDER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. roundvalley

roundvalley

You must really be good if you can solder or weld up a brake line!
    Replace it and don't become a organ donor.

19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I second this! I just picked up a 60" length of 5/16" line for the girlfriends car and it was 8.00 and some change... Thought that was a bit dear! All the lines on the brakes on a Falcon are 3/16" ad should be about that price or less.

20. DocsMachine

DocsMachine
    from Alaska

Aw, go ahead and solder it! I did that once, and I only died a little bit when I overran that corner and hit the busload of nuns. Heck, the car wasn't even that badly damaged- all we had to do was replace everything forward of the rear axle, plus a hipbone and a handful of teeth. And most of the nuns.

:D

Doc.

21. dallasdrifter

dallasdrifter
    from dallas tx

25 dollars for a 25 foot roll. i need alot more than what comes in a pre cut package. hey, i've read about people braze welding copper pipe around brake line holes. thought i would see if its passable until i had time to replace the line.

22. dvzdeathtrap

dvzdeathtrap
    from austin, tx

you can rent-a-tool from autozone (SAE double flaring tool) and just take it back or keep it. thats what i did. its' pretty easy to flare a line. if you have never done it before, there are many videos on you-tube. gotta love this intenet machine device thing... i strongly recommend practicing flaring on leftover line after you cut the lengths you need. cut long too. oh, and also remember to put the brake end fitting on the line before you flare. haha not saying i've done that or anything. good luck and saftey is definitely key. do it right. -DVZ

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The length you need should be way under 25.00 more like five or six or less.

It's best to use a tube bender or at least wrap it around something round to put the bends in it. That will help save it from kinking.

24. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

seeing how you have another thread about selling this car,just tell the buyer how you fixed the punctured line

25. ddawg16

ddawg16
    from So CA

Nice to see everyone has the same (and right) opinion.......

Having done a lot of brake line fabrication.....I'm a big fan of In Line Tube.....especially their stainless steel stuff.....

26. rjaustin421

rjaustin421

To me there is no repair other than replace it. I am experienced in doing some creative (read that shaky) repairs to keep daily drivers going like using a black bungee cord for a carburetor return but I never ever shortchange brakes.

That being said...when I was 19 I worked a summer job at an MG dealership in my hometown. The mechanic was a 1950's factory motorcycle racer from Hungary and had a reputation of being a giant among foreign car mechanics. We had a MG Midget come in with no brakes due to the brake line rotting away where it passed in front of the under hood mounted battery.

Well George the Hungarian said he was going to solder a piece of 1/4" line that would be sleeved over the 3/16" line. The protests of this know nothing helper (and I really knew nothing) went unheeded and that brake line was repaired by soldering and the sucker left with the brakes working.

41 years later and I am still amazed at the stupidity that went into that repair.

27. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

You can put two or more ready made lengths together with a connector to get the length you need. Don't have to buy a 25 foot roll.

28. bob308

bob308

this is a trick question who in their right mind would have to even ask something like this.

29. greazy john

greazy john

this is just a quiz!!!! see how many stupid answers we get

GREAZY HUBCAPZ CC EAST TENN

30. I`m just glad you asked!