Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1941 Chevy Sedan Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Voh, May 8, 2011.

1. Voh

Voh

I posted a couple of these as the new project, but have them here to kick off the build thread. Its a 1941 Chevy sedan. Has a later ('58-'59) 235 in it with stock trans and rear end. Back half of the interior was stock.

Bringing it home.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Needs front floors/rockers. Previous owner bought the floor kit - didnt weld them in before selling.
    [​IMG]

2. Voh

Voh

Trunk cleaned out. The surprises start

[​IMG]

3. Voh

Voh

Front fender mounts at the cowl are gone, both sides

[​IMG]

4. Voh

Voh

Rear Drivers side - Not terrible, but LOTS of bondo. I guess they didnt understand "skim coat"
    [​IMG]

5. Voh

Voh

Front end off

[​IMG]

6. Voh

Voh

Rear drivers side. Gonna need some help. mounting flanges are gone on it as well. It was tacked on and bondo-glued to the body

[​IMG]

7. Voh

Voh

inner fender - going to need some help too

[​IMG]

8. Voh

Voh

I didnt mind the rear fenders molded to the body, but I could see it needed some attention.

Do you just weld it back on or try and fabricate some new mounting tabs? I will ultimately mold it back to the body, just with more care.

I am open to ideas on this. Last project wasnt quite as needy. This one is going to take a little time.

9. Voh

Voh

Took off and remade some new front body mounts. Still need to weld them to the mounting cups. Will replace the floors before they are welded back on for good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. looks like you're off to a good start

11. LTM75110

LTM75110

Looks good,Hang in there. That`s one of my favorite Chevys.

12. Voh

Voh

Did a bunch this weekend, even though it was hot as hell. Took the family to Austin on saturday and stopped by BigChucks's to get some floor ideas from his '41 business coupe - Thanks BigChuck. As soon as we got to the house i started teating more stuff out. Started with the M.C. and some of the linkage. sunday I got the motor/transmission pulled. Those are alot tougher then the V8s - theres no good places to bolt to. It was tough alone, none the less its out and out of the way for a while. Im gonna sell the 3-speed and torque tube/axle if anyone is interested.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Voh

Voh

Got most of my bracing in, ready to cut out the floors. Do I need one between "A" & "B" pillars? What about across "A" to "A"? any angled braces needed? I plan on taking out the floor from the "B" pillars forward to the toe kick-up as well as both rockers.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

Looking great, and your taste in Chevies is outstanding. Love those 2 door sedans!

What did you make the cowl mount / support pieces out of? My Pop's 47 Chevy needs a set of these BAD. I'm anxious to see your plans for the rear inner fender area as well, as that's probably going to be our winter project. Same rust in the same areas.

Thanks for posting up so many pics!

15. Voh

Voh

[​IMG]

I bent these over misc. stuff in the garage. Make a template to start and beat them out.

16. Voh

Voh

I am trying to decide the best way to get this down low. Dont know if it will be static with some blocks or bagged, but either way I think I'm gonna need a C-Notch. Here is a picture looking in the wheel well above the tire. The tabs there are on the back "firewall" that is directly behind the rear seat. How would I C-notch this and maintain the back seat? Anyone done this yet on a Chevy or similar body?

[​IMG]

17. Nice looking start. Many have started with much worse. Keep us posted. Todd

18. koolkemp

koolkemp

Great start !

19. Gavin_Ivey

Gavin_Ivey
    from Seneca, SC

Build thread of a 41 Buick. I think they are very similar to our frames/bodies.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=491052&page=5

[​IMG]

20. Voh

Voh

21. Gavin_Ivey

Gavin_Ivey
    from Seneca, SC

So how's it coming??

22. Original57

Original57

Really interested in seeing the progress on this one.

23. Voh

Voh

hit that little "pissed of neighbor issue" a couple weeks ago, then deer season started. Havent done a ton on it. I actually need to order a couple additional patch panels for the drives side do that I can start putting the rockers back together.

I will try to make some progress though.

24. Keep em coming! Love the Fartieone's

25. Gavin_Ivey

Gavin_Ivey
    from Seneca, SC

Ah, gotta love those neighbors. Kill any deer yet?

26. Voh

Voh

Got an 8-point on 11/11/11.

27. Gavin_Ivey

Gavin_Ivey
    from Seneca, SC

28. Jebo

Jebo

more progress! i need to get mine going

29. Voh

Voh

Well it's been a long end to 2011 and start to 2012. Good news is I won't have that crappy neighbor to deal with, bad news is its because I was asked to find a new place to live by the wife. Long story short I have just about got my new garage in line and am getting the car Sunday afternoon.

Once I get another month or two into this crap I should have the monies under control and the. Can start to apply my resources.

I did get some. Patch panels for Christmas so I now have the cowl, rocker and quarter for the drivers side to get after. I will post up some shots soon.

30. Voh

Voh

Can someone please take some measurements for me? I have the drivers cowl, rocker and quarter patched to do. I need to know how far from the frame the inner rocker is. My quarter is shot as is they behind it so I can quite tell where the end of the rocker is really supposed to be. I also need to replace the end of the floor braces.