Register now to get rid of these ads!

What Gauge is this out of?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by t_wood_08, May 3, 2011.

1. t_wood_08

t_wood_08

I thinking of using this gauge in my roadster, but I was wondering if anyone knew anything more about this gauge? I know it is out of a Hudson Terraplane, but what year is it? What are the dummy lights for? Thanks, Tanner

Attached Files:

2. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

1935 Hudson. Lights could have been turn signal indicators?:confused:

[​IMG]

3. Xtrom

Xtrom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Forman, ND

Cool gauge! Terraplanes have nice lines through out the whole car. Including the gauges!

4. t_wood_08

t_wood_08

I really like this gauge. Thanks ZomBrian.

5. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Lights were gen and oil idiot lights.

6. rusty bill

rusty bill

Keep going on this project Tanner!

7. jackjohn

jackjohn
    from mineola tx

that guage won't work on your car, send it to me and i will dispose of it properly,

john

8. I got one like that says Hudson. It has another piece that holds the head light switch and starter button.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  9. mustang552

mustang552
    BANNED

High beam indicator, no car had idiot lights or turn signals that early, especially terraplne

10. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Ya wanta bet? Years ago I had a 33 Essix/Terraplane that had both !!

11. that is a cool guage, that would be neat in a little hotrod

12. Yep, the 1932 cars from Hudson Motor Car Co. were the first cars in the US auto industry that had oil and amp red lights on the dash board. Lets admit it, you gotta watch the road and can't read the gauges all the time but if a RED LIGHT comes on, you will know INSTANTLY that you have a problem.

13. mustang552

mustang552
    BANNED

Okay, what yeat was the first real Hudson made? All i remember about Hudson was the "upside-down bathtub" Hudsons of the 50's.Ha d a BIG 6, flathead, beat everthing on the road!!

14. 51hornetdude

51hornetdude
    from denver

1909 first yr for Hudson

15. hudsy-wudsy

hudsy-wudsy
    from MN

While they were in business, no one else matched Hudson for engineering firsts!

16. MORRISGAUGE

MORRISGAUGE

Should it require service, give us a call:
    morrisgauge.com

17. Cool - odometer AND trip odometer too??!!

Steve

18. gabesalazar

gabesalazar

Im looking for that for my 1935 hudson...willing to sell?
    ,gabe salazar

19. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Hudson was probably the FIRST to use "idiot" lights. And definitely in the '30s.

20. Or Gen and Oil lights idiots. :D

Someone mentioned the lines of the terraplane, absolutely correct, beautiful cars excellent custom fodder or a perfect candidate for an american sports car concept.

21. Weasel

Weasel

The first application of a flashing electric turn signal was used on the 1938 Buick as a new safety feature. It was advertised by Buick as the “Flash-Way Directional Signal”. By 1940, Buick added the self-canceling mechanism attached to the steering column. This complex and sensitive mechanical method of springs, cams, sliders and lobes with fixed shut-off points is still used worldwide in virtually all vehicles. This was indeed an ingenious solution in 1940 and has worked well enough to get by for many years.

So much for JohnEvans "33 Essix/Terraplane":rolleyes: that had both....

22. As an owner of a '34 Terraplane, I'll post up an amen to most of that but not about to rod or customize my original survivor. The factory fender skirt option is custom enough.

Attached Files:

23. scottlep

scottlep

The mystery idiot lights have a letter "A" in one and a "C" in the other if you look closely at the picture. That would probably rule out turn signal indicators.

24. scottlep

scottlep

25. Hudson and Terraplane all cars have splash oiler engines (up until the '48 sixes and the 8 cylinder stayed splash through '52). So the oil pump is putting out around 3.5 pounds pressure keeping the rod dipper tray full. It would be totally impractical to have an oil pressure gauge but the driver does quickly need to recognize any failure of the pump to fill the tray that the rods are passing through with each engine revolution. A dash red light, starting with the '32 cars was the answer.

Similarly, any time the battery was being discharged because of generator failure, slipping belt or electrical short /problem, the other red dash light would come on. So if the driver saw a red light at idle at a stop sign, no big deal (we've all seen similar discharge on a gauge) but if that light did not go out with more rpm, he knew immediately he had a problem.