Register now to get rid of these ads!

46 ford power steering

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carl.p, May 4, 2011.

1. carl.p

carl.p
    from grimsby uk

hi can anyone know a power steering box that will go on a 46 ford sedan want to keep the beam axel and cross steer if i can thanks carl...:confused:

2. 54 Chevy

54 Chevy

Check with Chassis Engineering they see a bracket that bolts a GM steering box up. Their website says the price is $53.25. A friend on mine sold a 47 ford a few years ago that used this bracket with a GM box and the car drove great. I drove it the Springfield MO for him and it drove as good as my 47 with a mustang 2 front end.

3. carl.p

carl.p
    from grimsby uk

hi 54 chevy do you know which gm steering box he used thanks carl...

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

www.weedetrstreetrod.com used to make a similar bracket that bolted direct to chassis rail. It used a Saginaw 800 integrated power steering box. www.agrperformance.com sell these box and pump combinations. They come with either O-ring or SAE fittings.

5. 54 Chevy

54 Chevy

No I don't the box was on there when he got the car. It looked like one from a camero. If you call chassis engineering they could tell you for sure what box to use with their bracket. you can get a GM steering box real cheap at a savage yard or get a rebuilt one from the auto parts stores. The only problem he had with his car was the clearance between the exhaust manifold and the steering box. His car had a 302 in it a small block chevy would be easier I imagine. He was able to use a exhaust manifold that exited to the rear of the block.

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The 800 is the big series GM box; if it doesn't fit, there is a smaller seies box used mostly on '78--80's midsize, that fits same bracket.

7. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

605 GM is the smaller one.

8. carl.p

carl.p
    from grimsby uk

ok thanks guys :)

9. JEM

JEM

The 800-series was the 'old' passenger-car box (and the 700 the truck box, IIRC...don't quote me), but it comes in various sizes and shapes, front-steer and rear-steer layouts, different straight and variable ratios, so make sure you find the setup you need; one of the nicest features about that box design was the ability to change the steering effort from LeSabre pinky-finger to Trans Am direct by swapping the valve torsion-bar assembly.

The 605 came out for the A/G-body intermediates in the late '70s I think, it's smaller and is common e.g. on tri-5 swaps but it's not a particularly good-quality part compared to the earlier 800s or later 670s.

The current-generation boxes are usually referred to as 670s, they're also compact, lighter and have better valving.

If you need one rebuilt/set up to a specific configuration there's builders who do a lot of work on these e.g. Lee Mfg (http://lee-powersteering.com)

Last edited: May 8, 2011