Register now to get rid of these ads!

Widest wheel/tire combo

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JaceEdward, May 5, 2011.

1. JaceEdward

JaceEdward

Hey I was wondering if anyone knew what the widest wheel/tire combo is that I could stuff under my 55 chevy post.

-Jace

2. I had L 60-15's on an 8 inch wheel on my 55. It's a little tricky getting them in there though.:)
    If you put the springs inside the frame, you can get even more tire under there.

[​IMG]

3. JaceEdward

JaceEdward

Do you think I could fit a 1000-15 firestone dragster? it has a 11.7 cross section.

4. On my '55 hardtop, I mounted 255/60-15 BFG T/A radials (10.2" section width by 27.1" tall) on 15x8 Cragar SS wheels. I rolled the fender lips up and they didn't rub at all.

The only problem was after I installed 2" lowering blocks-- after that, I had to drop the leaf springs in order to change a tire. The price of looking cool... :rolleyes:

There are two ways you can fit a 11.7" wide tire without _major_ surgery:
    1) Mount the leaf springs under the frame.
    2) Swap the hangers side-for-side and move the leaf pads inpoard. This places the leaf springs inboard of the frame. You'll also need to center the gas tank, causing you to lose the spare tire well. I think Classic Chevy and Danchuck make kits to do this.

Last edited: May 5, 2011

5. baspinall

baspinall
    from SE PA

I had that problem with my old 57 Nomad. Had to let all the air out to get em in :D

6. With the right offset rim and moving the springs inboard, it should go. Get the ruler out!:)

7. JaceEdward

JaceEdward

Alright I have been hearing about these L 60 15s for a while. what exactally are they? who makes them?

8. Pistnbroke

Pistnbroke
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

L 60 X 15 is the tire size not sure if anyone uses that terminology to identify a tire size any more. The best thing to do is remove the wheel, and measure your space you want to fill with the axle at ride height on a jack then go to a local tire dealer like a Just tires or Discount tire look at the tire tread and compound you want to use ask them to give you the spec sheet then use that to determine the tire size to fit your car as well as the rim size. I have done this many times and you would be surprised how many people say how did you get that big tire to fit..