Register now to get rid of these ads!

1940 Plymouth, It's time!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SlmLrd, May 3, 2011.

1. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

I just bought a 1940 Plymouth coupe from TomCat 1 here on the hamb. Barn find, sat since 1961, etc. I have wanted a 1940-41 Merc/Ford/Plymouth ever since I can remember but just havent had the funds or found the right car at the same time. I found this one and sold my Harley to get the car and build started. I Will be building a 360 motor for it, auto trans, rear end with freeway gears, chop it and bag it, shiny paint, etc.

I will have to also sell my 52 Ford for funds to complete my build. I dont want to, but will have to in order to get this car where I want it to be. The whole time I was building my 52 it just was never "THE" car. There were some things I wanted to do to my build that I just couldn't do to it because it was so well taken care of- (Bigger motor, chop, etc.) I have seen a few of these 40-41's and watched some builds here that are super inspirational!!

The car is on its way as we speak and should be in my warm California garage this weekend!! Any tips or suggestions would be great!

Attached Files:

EVL401 and Mick Coyne like this.
  2. Tin Can

Tin Can

Good buy. One of my bucket list cars. Good luck with the project

3. 4woody

4woody

Good choice. I love '40 Ply! One of their best.

4. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

^^Thanks guys!!

5. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Buddy of mine drove one of those with a big-block Shivolay a few (well, maybe more than a few) years ago. It was a good ride. Please keep us updated as you progress.

6. farmer12

farmer12

Yes! Good to see you've made the right choice.:) Looking forward to watching this build......there are a few guys here now who are building these 40/41 Plymouths right now which is a great thing and the wealth of information/experience is growing by the day. Good luck with the build, going to be watching this one for sure. Let me know if I can help you in any way. Eric/farmer12.

7. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Thanks Eric! Heres a few more pics because we all like pics, right? I guess they really ARE still out there!!

Attached Files:

8. Looks like a nice car to start with, I've had a passing interest in Mopars for a while also, have had the Oz 40 Dodge sedan since 1971, it has a 318 poly and the 41 Plymouth Coupe for 4yrs.......40's mopars are finally getting the interest they deserve......good luck with it......andyd

Attached Files:

9. farmer12

farmer12

Here are some pics to give you futher inspiration.

Attached Files:

10. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

These are beautiful cars w/ tons of potential.
    the blue one w/ Packard grille of The Emperors is one of my fave of this era cars.
    The green one that used to be of the Headhunters is rad too, althou its a Chrysler....

11. Good luck on your build, keep us posted on progress.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    '39 Ply Business Coupe - hopped up Dodge flat 6 power
    '46 Ply Business Coupe - same

12. 73RR

73RR

Wow! Nice find.

Good to hear that you're staying with Mopar drivetrain.

13. sololobo

sololobo

Lucky Dog! I love these deco bad ass rides. Farmer 12's is one of my faves ever. Rock on bro, and keep us posted. ~sololobo~

14. powhatan42

powhatan42

SlmLrd,

Good deal, I'm sure you will need some of the same parts that I needed. Feel free to follow my build of my '40 Coupe. I own two '40s, a 4 door and a Coupe. My 4 door was first restored in the early 70's and the body work held up all these years. Be sure to use lead/leadfree on your bodywork, and no bondo!

Let me know and I will be glad to asisst you in locating needed parts. I will be following this build!

15. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Do you have any pics of the motor area, how was your install and what trans/rear combo are you using?

Thanks Eric! I really like the stance of yours when you bought it.

Thank you!! Great looking cars!

Will do for sure, and thank you!

Gotta do it. It only seems right :)

Yeah, I am grateful to be starting this one. Thanks!!

Im sure Ill be asking you some questions once I dive in. As for Bondo- I aint fraid' of a little filler :) once the metal is straight of course! Hahaha, Thank you. Im sure Ill be hitting you up for some info- great cars!

16. My Fiance and I are building a 41' coupe right now.
    Our wedding is in less than 3 weeks so after the wedding we are
    calling it our POST Wedding project and going ape shit on it.
    She's taking Upholstery classes while i weld, ha ha.

Anyways,
    Lets catch up soon.
    Where in SD are you?

Jason Lee-

17. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Hey Jason, great to hear you and your lady are going it together! I was born and raised at the beach but bought a house in Santee a few years ago. Lots of car people and shops out here though. You going to any shows this summer?

18. farmer12

farmer12

SlmLrd, it seems like you have great plans for your Plymouth. Now all we have to do is wait for some progress pics.......you know we're all watching you! :) Good luck with the build.

19. I've got a 1962 318 Poly & cast iron auto, would really like to find a 63-66 Poly with a 727 so i can use the engine bits I have but get the later auto, haven't any decent pics, that show the install properly but these show that it lives in the hole, I wouldn't recomend a poly unless you really had to have one as parts etc are difficult, but its what I've had in the car since 1973 so I'm used to it........lol.........andyd

Attached Files:

20. thinkfink

thinkfink

x2

great car!

21. 73RR

73RR

If SlmLrd has an interest in a 318 Poly he could not be in a better location...Gary P is located in Santee....

22. yardgoat

yardgoat

A LA318 mopar is as common as apple pie,but a poly is just plane cool.Most cant tell if they have a LA318,340,360,but they know if it,s a poly.Need parts let me know for a poly or the run of the mill la318,How bout a small HEMI? iVE GOT A 241 not much hp but its got the WOW!!!! factor..lol...............................YG

23. yardgoat

yardgoat

Sorry i forgot.....LOVE THAT CAR !!!!!!...........................yg

24. Awesome choice. Cant wait for more.

25. Can't wait to see this thing in sd man!

26. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome to the club!

27. skiviskaves

skiviskaves

Congrats! I've seen that car in person, it's solid. Good luck with the build!

28. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

Hey Slmlrd-
    are you Mario and Brandon's friend who was at VLV?
    They were parked next to a chopped yellowish one up there,
    and said one of there friends went searching for a plymouth after the show.
    Brandon said the dude had his plymouth bagged and was scraping all over the parking lot.
    Just wondering if you were same guy.

Travis

29. Abomination

Abomination

'62 was indeed the changeover year from the early Hemi-style rear of the 318 Poly to the later small block Mopar rear. You must have an early '62 motor.

What parts can't you find for your 318 Poly? They're all available off-the-shelf at NAPA, and the only difference between that and an LA motor is heads, valvetrain, valve covers, and intake/exhaust.

~Jason

30. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Right on man, Ill be seeing you for sure!!

thank you, nice build!

The deeper I go, the better she looks!! It is a nice car.

Nah Travis, not me. My Plymouth isnt scraping yet- but it will be!! :)