Register now to get rid of these ads!

home made tools and equipment...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jan 16, 2008.

1. fbama73

fbama73

Oh man- sometimes I don't know which I enjoy more- making tools or using them!

Some days, I'm glad I'm not rich- if I was, I'd just go buy shit to build with, and might never have the appreciation or connection that I have with my homebuilt stuff.

Here's the latest completed project, Frankenpressor

[​IMG]

Built almost entirely from pieces and parts scored cheaply at auctions by my good friend. When he heard that I was planning to buy a compressor big enough to run any air tool, he quickly dragged me down to the barn where we started gathering pieces. 30 gallon tank builds to 125psi within a couple of minutes with a 1hp 2800rpm motor. I've got just over 80 bucks in it.

Homemade cart for my oxy-acetylene rig. I like this style a lot better than any of the commercial 2 wheel jobs I've seen

[​IMG]

Souped up harbor Fright bead roller. Started by building the benchtop stand, then added the 3/4 hp DC motor with variable speed unit driven through a 60:1 gear reducer. We added a footswitch for hands free operation. With the speed dialed down, you can really creep the metal through it, allowing you to follow tight contours.

[​IMG]

English wheel. We built the frame, then bought out some killer wheels from Joe Andrews at Hoosier Pattern.

[​IMG]

Power hammer built from an old industrial box stitcher. We've made several different strikers and anvils. in this picture it's a bit mismatched, with the plate plate and beater bag on the bottom, and a small rounded striker. My favorite way to use it is with the tuck shrinking dies.

[​IMG]

He and I are always building some sort of tool. He's not incredibly into cars, but he really loves building tools on the cheap. We have a ball doing it, too.

2. 55chieftain

55chieftain

All I got is this valve spring compressor I cut out. Better than spending 20 bucks for a real one. Worked pretty good actually. I didn't even try to make it fancy.

[​IMG]

3. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

This looks like a fun tool! If everything fails, hammer fixes all!
    Whats a diesel wrist pin? i need to find one but i need to know what it is b4 i do. :D

4. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Same as a gas engine one just beefier.
    [​IMG]

5. ytrap

ytrap
    from uk

This thred is so good iv singed up to your fourm to let you no how inpresed i am at all thease amasing home made macheines i will try and post some of mine tomorow
    thanks for all the insperation dylan

6. encswsm

encswsm

I went back to look at the Oxy Rig cart I saw yesterday and the pic is gone...where did it go?

7. fbama73

fbama73

I have no idea why it disappeared. Here it is again

[​IMG]

8. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

I thought it was too big to be a piston pin, but then again, maybe its from a big rig right? after all i doubt a 1.5 liter diesel in a econobox as pistons this big ;)
    I'll lookk out for one at the junkers.

9. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Check the truck repair shops around you they're bound to have one or two lying around.

10. encswsm

encswsm

Weird bro When I looked at my post it was there??? I dunno.. anyways I copied the picture I am going to make one like it for myself.. What did you use for tubing? Conduit? Thanks

11. encswsm

encswsm

These are from a Locomotive or a ship engine... A EMD 645 16 cylinder engine is 645cubic inches per cylinder... x 16 .. Thats some serious power heres a pic of one I got of of the net the net.

Attached Files:

12. HotRodHon

HotRodHon

now, if I can just find a way to fit that into the model A ....

13. stev8

stev8

Geez mate!!!!

Dont you know the "Queens English!!!"

Only stirring....We all here know that welding and fabricating is far more important than spelling!!

14. fbama73

fbama73

It was some tubing that my buddy had lying around (he's a raw material hoarder) It wasn't actually conduit, but it was pretty similar to it. The bender we were using couldn't handle bending the entire upright/handle tube in one piece, so we bent it as two halves, then added a larger piece over the seam, then smoothed the welds.

It's very stable and easy to move. My 10 year old daughter can move it around easily and safely.

15. ytrap

ytrap
    from uk

yer i no my speling aint grate
    hears a few of mine
    the disk sander
    [​IMG]

realy easy construction the moter origanly had a hub based fan on it which split apart to ajust the tilt of the blades so i left half the hub on and screwed a face plate to it and mounted the moter to an old frame l had lyeing about
    [​IMG]

next up some think i saw on hear
    [​IMG]
    made this yesterday works a treat was a small wood table saw much more usefull now

small charcole/coke furnace for making knives
    [​IMG]
    this is an old oil tank lined with vermiculite and then fier bricks air fed in with an old hand dryer

[​IMG]

I have been making a lot of log burners for people recantly and this is a good way of cuting the top of AFTER thay have been emptyed and lefte full of water for 6 months to leach out any remanding gas and then emptyed of water.
    This is an indexing table and a 250w electric scoter moter with speed controler + plasma cutter it works realy well nice consistant cut with hardly any slag left
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and finaly for now something thats in the pipe line soon to be a pipe bender an old engin stand i got from the scrap yard
    [​IMG]
    thats all for now i hope some gets some insperation from my post i shure have got a lot from this thred thanks dylan

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  16. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

That looks promising. I might steel that!

17. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

18. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

i usually dont take time to read longer threads, especially one that is bound to be full of a lot of images, cause, i am easily distracted with shiny shit that someone else built that i figure i can build too... lol

no, but i once knew a hooker named minnie mazola

sorry, couldn't resist :p

19. Longer threads are not hard to read.
    Just start reading when the thread is new and read a bit each day as it grows ..
    Works for me ... :D :D

20. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Anyone tried making their own band saw from scratch??

21. Frank

Frank

I have seen some old Popular Mechanics plans for one using some plumbing pipe.

A friend of mine actually has one. The two rollers are old brake drums from a 1920's Oakland. They still have the center hub caps on them.

22. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oooo!! Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about right there! I would love to see some pictures of that thing!

Seems simple enough.

23. budd

budd

i have plans for a band saw mill, it just uses 18" v-belt pulleys, it could all be down sized, but i picked up a free Black and Decker bench top band saw that runs off of a hand drill, came with the hand drill and i only had to spend 10 min fixing the tensioner, cuts 3/16" aluminum like butta

24. bct

bct

i have built bandsaw mills....are you thinking vert. or horizontal....? lots of info out there ....best bang for the buck in my humble opinion is a 14" wood saw regeared for steel....i see em go for a couple hundred dollars now and again.

25. Man im glad i found this thread. Now i've got a use for the old laundry pole out in the back yard! its already been cut down to ~4' tall so i'll make a removable pad that bolts to the top that i can mount a tubing bender/steel roller/plannishing hammer/ what ever else i can think of! haha.

26. onemintcaddy

onemintcaddy

Or,,, When not in use you can install a ball on it and lock your trailer to it so you don't trip over it.

27. Years ago I made a band saw to cut large pieces for wood turning. The whole thing was made of wood including the wheels. Fine Woodworking magazine had the plans for it and it worked like a dream.

28. Keep

Keep

Not so much a tool from scratch but a very useful modification, I have posted this before on the GJ but not everyone here visits the other side.

I started looking for a slow speed attachment for my drill press, after a seeing a couple listed for $200+ I decided to give making one of my own a shot, this totaled about $15, most for the pulley.

This was made as a "proof of concept" and well, it worked so good I never went any further. I know others were milling/pressing in bearings and other stuff but this works fine for me. Would be better if I could find a matching 5 step pulley but they are hard to find and pricey up here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are all the parts:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. terryr

terryr
    from earth

30. tooljunkie

tooljunkie
    from manitoba

someone was wondering what sort of motor could be used for a bead roller.a trolling motor might be the ticket.im working on the pieces to scratch build my own powered bead roller.

Last edited: May 31, 2011