Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another way to lower the back of an F1

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kevin Lee, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I have removed a few leafs, but with leafs removed from the front along with a 3" drop axle I still had a dumb looking rake.

Was originally planning to Z the frame, but came up with this instead.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok, I take it you are raising the spring hangers with the angle iron brackets.

4. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was getting late, and I have great neighbors so no grinding in the driveway after 9pm. No exceptions.

I cut/drilled the rivets on one pocket and got it off.

[​IMG]

Popped right off and is ready to bolt in place tomorrow.

This should get me an additional 4.5 inches... which is probably a bit much. I'll raise it back up with blocks until the fender opening is at the top of my whitewall and call it good.

More pics tomorrow.

5. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Aren't you going to lose most of your travel distance and then have it bottoming out on the frame bumper?

6. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Not a bad idea. Looking forward to seeing end results.
    Will it point your pinion angle too much though?

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

His axle will still be below the springs so he shouldn't have a big problem there but he still may have to shorten the snubber or C notch the frame a bit.

8. badshifter

badshifter

Can't you use the existing upper holes for the holes in the lower mounts, and make new holes on the plate for the uppers? That way you have it half on existing frame, and half on the new brackets. You then won't have to use blocks to raise it and gain some axle to frame clearance.

9. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

Cant wait to see progress on this, good luck

10. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

No problems with bumpers as I've measured. Remember I am going to raise probably an inch. I wanted to go "too far" and raise it back to where I wanted.

On using the upper holes for the lower. First problem is just getting two inches of drop. (which is the distance between the holes) Second is wrestling rivets out of the holes to reuse them. I'd rather have four new holes and the option of going lower if I would ever want to.

And I'm moving all four spring pockets, so the pinion angle is unchanged.

11. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

New pics in a moment...

12. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Took a break to help the Lopez's across the street weld up their new gate for the driveway.

[​IMG]

...and back to work. Some rot under a couple of the spring pockets I hadn't planned for.

[​IMG]

I guess this is how frame repairs look when you have to drive it to work in the morning. And one of these days I'm going to rewire those tail lights. ( dig the wire nuts from the previous owner)

More later.

13. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

14. nobuckets

nobuckets
    from austin, tx

Did you lift it back up at all? That looks good.

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool! I am trying to talk my blacksmith into lowering his F1. This might just do the trick to convince him.

16. mixmaster-meat-wad

mixmaster-meat-wad

I picked up a rear suspension TCI kit that that lowered my truck about
    4 inches. The hanger brackets that came with it were a little longer than stock so it allowed me to flip my axle on top of the leaf springs without losing much suspension travel at all. The bolts all go right into the original rivit holes. It looks slick and didnt take long at all. I think i picked up the kit from [SIZE=-1]Classic Performance Products[/SIZE]

17. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I haven't raised it yet - I'm about 3/4" from the bump stops right now. Planning to drive it for a couple of days befor deciding on 1" blocks or a small C notch

18. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

never seen it done that way before. I seen the mount moved that the bottom was in the upper holes and angle iron used for the upper holes or they turned the rear mount up side down.

19. butch27

butch27

Nice Vertical-Up on the gate Kevin.

20. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Looks great, Kevin. Will those new brackets interfere with the bed floor? You are a brave soul tackling that project and having to drive it to work the next day! Every F1 frame I've disassembled, no matter how nice always had rot under the spring hangers. I used an OLD CE kit that came on one of the parts trucks I bought for similar results. I also flipped the rear hangers side-for-side for a little extra drop but now it will require pinion angle shims to bring the nose back up. I also notched the frame in anticipation of hauling engines in there someday...

Attached Files:

21. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah, the bed floor will be raised a couple of inches. It will be at the bottom reveal of the bed side.

I thought about flipping the rears instead, but with the shimming needed and, I think, clearancing the shackles for the spring I'd rather take the 2" penalty on bed space.

Planning on a thick steel floor with mounting points for eye hooks, engine stand, etc.

[​IMG]

22. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Looks cool. I didnt realize you were moving the front mount the first time.
    Only thing I'd consider is maybe add some more plate on the under side of the frame where you bolted your brackets on. I like to overthink things, and I somewhat question having all the load on the edge of the frame like that.

23. NoSurf

NoSurf

Looks great!

Now paint that damn fender...

24. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah, all of the brackets – front and rear – were there in the pictures. :)

Not understanding what you mean by "all the load on the edge of the frame like that".

25. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey thanks. (Just noticed this)

26. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I think the stance is perfect as is... I dunno if I would raise it at all.

27. RichG

RichG

I like the cross brace between the hangers, but maybe (just maybe) it might be a good idea to gusset the back of the angle iron where the spring hanger mounts to the cross bar? Like I said, maybe overkill, but I like the idea of spreading any force that the hanger bracket sees into the cross bar, rather than the bend in the angle iron.

Very sweet mod by the way, I think my daughter and I will look into doing this one on her '64 F100!

28. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Eh, I'm 100% confident everything would hold together with Rosco and Boss Hog chasing me down Old Mill Road. Seriously take a look, those brackets are 1/4" thick, held on with twelve bolts rated to hold 15,900 lbs in tension each and backed by a grade eight 3/16" thick fender washers underneath the rail. So if I'm doing something that bends that bracket at the edge of the 1x3x11ga tubing tying the sides together, I've got much bigger issues to handle.

Yeah Ryan, I think you're right. I took it out over lunch today and am heavily leaning toward the small notch I mentioned earlier. No raising.

29. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

...or I could put it back the way I found it. :)

[​IMG]

30. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Yeah, stance looks good to me too as is. I wouldn't raise it up anymore. Looks like just enough right now.