Register now to get rid of these ads!

Northern California Falcon Van Girl

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Oolah, May 1, 2011.

1. Oolah

Oolah
    from California

Hello one and all,

I'm an old Falcon Van girl (Uh-huh - 'girl' - I'm 55) and hope to benefit from discussions here on modifying early American vehicles.

I had a 1967 Falcon window van for fourteen years. That's been gone ten years.

I now have a Southern Cal 1962 Falcon Station Bus that orignally came with a 144, I purchased (in January) with a 170 with an oil leak in the sixth cylinder, and I plan to put a 200 in - and a 9" rear end. A friend is giving me an early Bronco small rear end, but I've decided to keep it simple, and put in an Econoline 9" in it.

I just bought a complete 1964/5 Falcon Station Bus/Van (late 1964 manufactured for the 1965 model year). I paid $250 for it. It was sold by an estate, and they had no information on it whatsoever. It had been sitting under trees in the middle of nowhere for 10 years, an abandoned project vehicle which had previously been a church's school bus - with ten years of lapsed registration. It also had the biggest rat (or larger varmint) nest imaginable taking up the entire driver's side of the doghouse from top to bottom. What a nightmare. Be sure to read what follows this VIN decode - I'll tell you what it turns out is ACTUALLY under the hood now...

This van came from the factory like this:

E11 = Falcon Station Bus series
    T = 170 engine
    H = Lorain Ohio assembly plant
    591345 = September 1964 serial number - 1965 model
    090 = wheelbase
    G = Chrome Yellow paint
    E110 = Falcon Station Bus model
    4 = beige standard interior
    89 = van body style
    A = 3 speed transmission
    03 = 3.50:1 light duty axle (7-1/4 inch)
    71 = Los Angeles sales district

What I discovered, once I excavated the engine compartment, was that someone had put in a 240. I looked under the girl's skirt, and she had a 9" rear end too.

She also has some unusual mystery trim - I may not be parting this one out if I can get it running. This could be my hotrod.

That's me in Falcons, up to present.

Oolah
    Ca

2. Oolah,
    Nice intro. Good luck on your build and welcome from Michigan.

3. Welcome from Okie land!
    Falcon van???
    Sounds cool, and maybe you could post some pics of that thing?

4. 31' A Bone

31' A Bone
    from So Cal

Welcome Aboard!!

5. Oolah

Oolah
    from California

Hi First Amendment,

Thanks for the welcome!

So, are you a punkin' chucker?

Oolah
    Ca

6. Oolah

Oolah
    from California

Hi RuFFDaWG,

Thanks - I'll try to post some photos this evening!

Oolah
    Ca

7. ganga

ganga

Greetings from SE PA.

8. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

My name is James and I am a recovering......Oh wrong board. Welcome to the HAMB.

9. 1956Ford

1956Ford

Welcome to HAMB from Nor Cal. I'll keep a lookout for you and your Falcon and give you a toot toot salute when I do.

10. Oolah

Oolah
    from California

Nice, James <lol> Thanks for the well-come!

Oolah

11. Oolah

Oolah
    from California

Sounds good. What county are you in? I'll be driving my white (with accents of surface rust) '62 Falcon Station Bus, with a license plate that reads 4FRFLCN

12. A Duece Bruce

A Duece Bruce

Welcome Oolah! From Nor-Cal. The first engine I rebuilt myself was mom's falcon, I think it was a 64. My brother and I stripped the engine and lifted it out with a 4x4 plank and worked it over. Been hotrodding ever since. Enjoy the H.A.M.B

13. old tin 38

old tin 38

Welcome to the fun. I had a 64 Falcon van back in '72. Shag rug , 8 track with house speakers and an ice box. The ladys loved it but NOT THEIR DADDYS !!!:cool:

14. Nice intro, and a van girl to boot! Welcome aboard the H.A.M.B. from central Iowa!

15. pumpman

pumpman

Welcome Oolah, sounds like your on your way . . . to where I don't know but I'm sure you will have lots of fun on the trip and good luck from Union Pier, MI.

16. Oolah

Oolah
    from California

Hi Duece Bruce,

Hmmm. I never pulled out an engine, on a 4X4 or otherwise - except from a rototiller. Doesn't count...

How about this - When I was in my twenties (and knew little about auto repair) I bought a Ford "Custom" for $250... on payments ... $150 down, $100 next week, from the father of the teenager boy who had bought it to start with. I remember asking him what kind of engine it was, since it was at such an odd angle. He evasively indicated that he didn't know.

Sucker.

When I got it home, I started looking around the engine compartment and saw something that I thought looked broken. I reached in and pulled on it, and the whole engine (which was leaning at an odd angle to start with) broke free and pinned my arm. Fortunately I had the tire iron handy, and was able to lever myself free. This was my first introduction to motor mounts, of which there were one and one half when I bought the car, but only one was left at this point.

I called the guy and told him I wasn't going to pay him the $100, and I wanted my money back. He said "Tough, you own it now."

I used the two ton floor jack I'd received at a grand opening drawing at Kragan that year to jack up the engine, and replaced the motor mounts.

Can you believe it - I'm still a Ford girl too!

Oolah

17. Oolah

Oolah
    from California

Woo Hoo! You were a Baaaad boy, weren't you? <grin>

Thanks for the welcome!

Oolah
    Ca

18. Oolah

Oolah
    from California

Thanks man!

Oolah
    Ca

19. COOL! MY 1965 falcon sedan was built just one moth later at the lorian plant, October 31st 1964 to be exact, its neat to see another so close to mine!

20. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

welcome...we are very Falcon freindly here on the HAMB...

21. Oolah

Oolah
    from California

Hi Fast Falcon,

Sounds like we're cousins!

Oolah
    Ca

22. Oolah

Oolah
    from California

Thanks Falconwagon!

Dance Like There Is No One Looking (who is qualified to have you committed).

Oolah
    Ca