Register now to get rid of these ads!

Apparently people used to be skinnier...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aceuh, Apr 30, 2011.

1. aceuh

aceuh

While doing nothing but sitting in my Cadillac and pondering the meaning of life I glanced down and read this decal in the door jamb...

Apparently the Caddy is good for a load of 6 people and 200lbs in the trunk for a total of 1100lbs... wait... knock off the 200lbs in the trunk and that leaves us with 900lbs... divided by 6 gives us 150lbs... per person.

I don't think I know 6 people that weigh 150lbs...

[​IMG]

2. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

So my skinny self and two big girls and no load in the trunk.:D

3. Its true, we are taller as well. 100 years ago the average male was 140-150 and 5'6" tall give or take. They worked harder to survive and ate less. Wasn't a convenience store or Starbucks on every corner!

I remember as a kid in the 70s that 8 or 10oz of Soda was a TREAT. Now folks drink a gallon of the stuff in a day and consider it a right..........................don't get me started.

4. Yeah, and you're talkin' about a BIG car. Imagine what my poor little Model A Roadster was rated for, probably 2 - 130 pounders and a bag of cotton balls in the trunk.....

5. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

I think the same way Tman your cool in my book!

6. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hell... Just a generation ago people were skinnier. Not only the food and drink we eat today, but the fact that more poeple were out working physically rather than sitting behind a keyboard everyday probably had a lot to do with it too!

7. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

No kidding, I can remember pulling my wagon, collecting bottles and cans to turn in and going to the store about a half mile down the road. Returning the bottles/cans and for all that, my prized possesion, a bottle of Orange Crush. Not bad for a few hours work!

8. People WERE skinnier, and more fit, back in the day. I have an advertisement for my '41 Plymouth pickup that shows three adult men in the cab, enjoying their ride down the road. I can get two of me in it. No way in hell is there room for three in mine.

I remember, as a kid, getting that monthly bottle of Mountain Dew or RC Cola from the pop machine at the Enco gas station across the street!

9. The old car shows pics of the 1970's really show how obese we have come as a society.....

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tman pretty well nailed it. In the 50's we went to the drug store and got an 8 ounce coke for a nickle at the drug stores fountain counter. And that only happened about once a month with my mom. Now it's the norm to stop at a fast food place for a snack or stop at the mini-mart for a couple of burritos and a 44 ouncer to tide one over until dinner.

11. brad chevy

brad chevy

Back then too if you had a TV you got 3 channels. You had chores to do everyday.No sitting on your lazy ass watching TV or video games.Had food out of the garden without all the additives.Hell kids actually played in the yard.phyical ed was required in school. Complete different time.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  12. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

I for one am fatter then I was in the 70's.:rolleyes:

13. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

ALL SO VERY TRUE ! Every Poster has pretty much "nailed it" so far.

BUT, one thing I'll add is that during the Depression Years of the 30's & the WWII years of the 40's...a LOT of people were skinnier because they had little OR almost no food to eat !

During the Depression: Due to financial reasons.
    During WWII: Due to food rationing

ALSO: I grew up in the 40's & 50's and my MOM cooked most of our meals. Period. In the 40's if you ate out it was in a small "diner" type venue, or, a sit-down restaurant. No McDonald's, Wendy's, KFC, etc., and the food that you DID eat was pretty fresh...not pre-fab.

Then, during the early 50's it was still pretty much that way until the end of the decade when McDonald's, Burger Chef, Steak n' Shake, et al, gained more-and-more prominence. AND, that's when I and my buddies in St. Louis started Crusin'...about 1957.

By the 60's the fast-food era was full blown, and the preservatives in the fast foods, plus a more sedentary lifestyle (automatic dishwashers, total house/car comfort with AC, TV's in every room, etc.) began to take over...and so did the needle on the scales when we got weighed !

And, as far as 2011 ? Hey, weight, er, wait a minute ! I've got to exit this Post, turn off my Comp. and do some yardwork !!:D

Just some "food" for thought...

Jonnie King www.legends.thewwbc.net

Attached Files:

14. kenb

kenb
    Member Emeritus

That rating in the Caddy was probably written by the same guy who rates the capacity of the new tents over at my local camping goods store. I bought a new 5 person tent last year, and when I set it up in the backyard the first time to check it out, it occured to me that those 5 people had better like each other a whole lot!

Ken

15. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

As a 250 pound 6 foot somthing dude I can say that I have trouble riding in my brothers model T
    I

16. Rudy J

Rudy J
    1. Austin HAMB'ers

Ain't that the truth!

17. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

History shows that the US Army was horrified by the general condition of men drafted for the war due to malnutrition/poor diet.

18. I tipped the scales at a whopping 135 when I came home from SE Aisia. I weighed about 145 until I hit my later 40s and never weighed more than 160 until I hit 50. I still normally weigh between 170 and 180.

That said most people didn't carry 6 adults around in a car, it was normally 2 adults and the kids. Very seldom more than 4 adults that i recall.

19. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

I know when Dick and I were looking for a FED, we "tried on" a bunch of cars but couldn't fit in the late 50's, early 60's cages, either for girth or length. We were 6', 210 or so each. So I concur people were smaller a half century ago, probably pre-Golden Arches eh? We were lucky to find the car in my avatar at NE Dragway when a house painter from Hingham bought it in as a roller, he had gotten stiffed on a paint job and took this in lieu of payment. Plenty of room in the cab, even though I would say it was about a '60 car, given the cut down chrome spindles, just before everyone started going to the West Coast dragster spindles. Of course not everyone was svelte, remember the three tons of fun from the Howdy Doody show silent movies segements? Three guys, each 300+ whose signature move was jumping out of second story windows into the rear seat of Model T touring cars and putting it on the rear bumper, wheels up.

20. TomWar

TomWar

people are taller now also, Door knobs used to be placed lower on house doors.

21. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

It's the hormones in milk and other foods.. Give's high school girls big tits nowadays.. Damn, wish they had tose hormones 40 years ago when I was in high school......

22. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

I used to be skinnier....

Graduation from high school was 28 years and 100 lbs ago....

23. firingorder1

firingorder1

Don't knock fat people. At Bonneville they throw a lot of shade (which is appreciated). Plus they make very good windbreaks.

I once dated a gal that was so fat when she went swimming at the beach the tide had to wait for her to get out so it could come in.

24. aceuh

aceuh

Well... The cadillac did only come with 4 seatbelts...if we do the math that way we come up with 225lbs per seatbelt....

I'm weighing in at a solid 160lbs by the way... ;)

25. I chuckle every time I watch a vintage movie and the guy they call "fatso" is maybe 190/195 lbs. :) In my garage they'd be callin' him "bones". :rolleyes:

-Dave

26. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

im 6'2 and 285. But then again i can also dead lift a small block chevy, and pick 170 pounds over my head like its nothin

27. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

28. The B-17 calculated average Crew weight reads 1,200 lbs. ... that's for a ten man crew...!

I wore my uncles WWII A-2 flight jacket in my freshman year of High school and I outgrew it by my Sophomore year!

I went into the Army at 148 lbs and came out at 167 lbs and I was about average size for our unit!

Now I tip the scales at 194 lbs 35 years later... shit I'll be 300 lbs by the time I'm 80!

29. Deuces

Deuces

I think cable and the all mighty "remote control" had something to do with it also...

30. Deuces

Deuces

Ditto! Came out of high school weighing in at 165 lbs. Now I'm at 201.4 at 5' 6" tall :( I need to lose about 40 lbs...