Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects hammered hup build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hammeredrods, Apr 28, 2011.

1. hammeredrods

hammeredrods

Well here we go . This has been going on for over a year now and feel like im finally getting somewhere, so its time for my build thread . Ill keep it fairly brief (mainly due to lack of photos) . I have always had a thing for pickups and started collecting bits and peices for an a .But then i found this baby sitting around the tin farm and it was perfect, so a few bucks later it was mine . got my mate to drop it home on the six wheeler and tore into it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. hammeredrods

hammeredrods

Got the thing inside and started stripping it down. As you will see later im pretty much just using the cowl, grill shell and two rails . The plan is for a sb chrysler la that i got as a runner and ill upgrade that later when i have the cash.

Attached Files:

3. hammeredrods

hammeredrods

So once i got going it was time to lay it out and start working out the dimensions and figuring out where everything had to sit . i thought about a suicide front for a while but for rego and engineering purposes i decided to get an i beam from so cal.

Attached Files:

4. Awesome and I thought I had a big job ahead with my build! Good luck with it and it definitely won't be one you see every day. Like your shifter too!

5. hammeredrods

hammeredrods

Thanks man its been a long haul so far still got a ways to go but im getting there.
    forgot about the shifter it took a few of them to work it all out.

6. hammeredrods

hammeredrods

Im missing some photos but i put the front axle in and built some body frame. this is about where i decided to put a step in the front rails

Attached Files:

7. pumpman

pumpman

Lookin good dude, keep us posted.

8. hammeredrods

hammeredrods

Next i set up and stepped the frame about 2 inch in front and i think 8 in the back the body is channeled 5 .also started on mt shock mounts these are two plates with tube in between.

Attached Files:

9. hammeredrods

hammeredrods

next was the start of the centre x member i made both of these off the frame then tacked them in after it was squared. next time i will definately use a table, but since i didnt have one i made do. its come out pretty good its square with no twists it was just the hard way to do it . oh well thats the way you learn

Attached Files:

10. hammeredrods

hammeredrods

finished shock mounts , made some bracing for the centre x out of two 5mm plates to tie it all together, then cut and filled some holes for the exhaust to go through .i forgot to say when i put the steps in i added some fish plates to the inside of the c section, then boxed the frame .

Attached Files:

11. Wild build man, I like the strange and unusual cars....kind of going through an "anti ford" stage right now. Keep the pictures comming.

12. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

While I'm not a huge fan of the ground scraping rod style, I have to give you props for saving the remnants of that car. It would have scared most people! Your fabrication skills shine with the quality of your chassis work. I like the X member. Post up some more shots of the chassis work when you get a chance... Nice work bro :)

13. I love diffrent makes, and will watch as it comes together.
    Cool cowl, and the shape of the windscreen suround is great.

14. good job mate. i just got a load of steel for my chassis this week, think i mite hafta "borrow" your x member idea:rolleyes:.

BTW i think your mate wants to kick the footy;)

15. hammeredrods

hammeredrods

Thanks guys, Hrk. the rear is on airride (cheating i know) and is shown in the absolute lowest so it should sit a bit higher , thanks for the kind words , just trying to make an old car cool. Fuzzy go for your life on the borrowing ill put up some more pics of it for you, yeah man she is the best helper .if only i was building the car out of footballs.

16. crotex

crotex
    BANNED
    from cuero, tx

Cool cool cool more pics please

17. thanks mate.

18. hammeredrods

hammeredrods

Next on the list was a rear end i just used an old borg warner i pulled from an old valiant ute i had so i got a free diff. i put it in with a triangulated 4 bar .and using a pair of shockwaves not traditional but once the tray goes on you will never see.

Attached Files:

19. hammeredrods

hammeredrods

rewind back before the rear end i built some engine and gearbox mounts .this is the best shot i have of it but you get the idea

Attached Files:

20. hammeredrods

hammeredrods

now its rolling i got it outside to clean up a bit .i removed the top half of the windscreen and gave it a bit of rake. started steeling the cowl out and have made a frame for the rear of the tub. that about brings it up to date . ill get more pics as i continue.so let me know what you think .

Attached Files:

21. hammeredrods

hammeredrods

last weekend i finished the cowl off and got it mounted on to the body frame .,the pic shows the frame including the mounting bracket for the pedal assembly. also finished the windscreen mounts and filled the bits i had to cut out to work out the rake on the screen.tack ,grind ,hammer, repeat. i havent done alot of sheet work so its a pretty steep learning curve but i dont think i warped it too much.

Attached Files:

22. hammeredrods

hammeredrods

so with the cowl ready its time to start on the body, i had left the frame horns because i knew they had to be trimmed .and needed to place the grill and headlights once i sorted that i trimmed the frame and replaced the top with some flat . i have also half made the headlight mounts but cannot finish them cause im working away for a couple of weeks. ill post some more when i get back and get something happening.

Attached Files:

23. TiredIronGRB

TiredIronGRB

The chassis looks great and I love that firewall.

24. hammeredrods

hammeredrods

thanks heaps man, yeah that firewall was way too cool for me to change .

25. hammeredrods

hammeredrods

Well im back home and back on the truck. I took the wheel and column out of my old 52 chevy and got it mounted just neeed to shorten it , the brake pedal is in . Also made the mounts for the headlights and have made a start on the radiator and grill .

Attached Files:

26. hammeredrods

hammeredrods

Slow progress lately ,just been working away alot .but still chipping away at it got the go pedal mounted . made radiator support and turned some mounts for the cowl im working now on fitting the whole assembly together ,ill put the pics up in a couple of days hopefully.

Attached Files:

27. hammeredrods

hammeredrods

Radiator Mounted ,well tacked up at least .I wanted a bit of rake to it to match the screen .The headlights are just borrowed off a mate im going to put a set of 34 commercial lights on eventually .

Attached Files:

• 126.jpg
      126.jpg
      File size:
      515.5 KB
      Views:
    • 127.jpg
      127.jpg
      File size:
      513.9 KB
      Views:
    • 128.jpg
      128.jpg
      File size:
      531.6 KB
      Views:
    • 129.jpg
      129.jpg
      File size:
      534.3 KB
      Views:
    • 130.jpg
      130.jpg
      File size:
      528.5 KB
      Views:
  28. hammeredrods

hammeredrods

Having issues with the grille being layed back so far thinking about making it a little more upright, more like the pic in my avatar .Any idea's ?

29. yeah i say stand it up a bit, those older style grilles look wierd laying down like that.

30. Peter Mc Mahon

Peter Mc Mahon
    from Ontario

Nice work on the frame! I like it a lot. Yes I agree the rad needs to stand up a lot more, your avatar is much better for my taste. Keep the posts coming. Peter