Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Cragar Delux 69 Solid Rims..what do you think

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 16ozSchlitzMan, Apr 26, 2011.

1. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Wish I'd said that!!

2. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

Ah shit guys, you mean I have to take mine back? J/K. Not trying to change any opinions here, in fact I agree with some of them...these were not my first choice but they were inexpesive and easier than the months of digging around for original steel wheels that I did. They are made in the USA and every set is made-to-order for size and backspacing. I called Cragar and in 2 minutes was on the phone with a supervisor at the factory which I thought was cool as well. Here's the treatment I gave my set; "shannon" cones, bullet lugs, paint, www's and I plan to add 2 small white continuous pinstripes similar to what came on my '50 pickup's original wheels (not that crazy crap). I wouldn't put them on a car, just doesn't jive but I think they're going to look fine on my truck:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AHotRod likes this.
  3. They look like someone welded the centres in backwards or forgot to punch out some slots. Very bland. Nothing a set of caps wouldn't fix though!

4. Heo

Heo

fake wirewheels minus crome and wirebasket
    dont know how many i sold to the metal recycling
    wouldent even use them as rollers

5. Ramblux

Ramblux

Well shit, here I've been hating these wheels since I first saw them, and then you post this and change my mind. Just a little. And just this once. :)

timdhawk and volvobrynk like this.
  6. They look good in color!

7. burnin53

burnin53
    from cuba,n.y.

Nothing new,lots of hay wagons run that type of wheel.They're very traditional.:rolleyes:

8. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Actually leevon, I have to admit that looks pretty sweet! Guess that is thinking outside the box for ya. Looks good!

9. I saw them advertised in a mag months ago, and thought they were hidious, but after seeing them on Leevons truck, i guess ive got to admit, they look good.

10. aircap

aircap

X2 - they look great!

11. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

I guess I'm the only one besides Leevon but I love 'em. Only bummer about the Cragars is that they only come in 15". That's okay though because Jason @ Early Wheel is making me a set in 16" (16x4.5 in front and 16x6 in back).

They'll look like this except not bronzy gold:

[​IMG]

IMO they're the reeeeeaally poor man's Halibrand smoothie.

Leevon they look bitchin' on your truck.

AHotRod and volvobrynk like this.
  12. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

They're very Bonneville-ish IMO. Maybe that's why I like them so much.

13. Builtforsin

Builtforsin

The wire wheel thing must be before my time because I haven't seen em like that, which must be why I'm not prejudice against em. I saw them and thought the wide, dished area in the center would make a great place to put some interesting paint work.

I plan on getting a set for my 122S, painted gloss black with a 3/4 or 1 inch strip in the middle painted body color. I can totally see them being good for different color combinations and other painting techniques, lace, machine turned gold leaf, whatever...

I agree they aren't for everything, but that isn't to say they wouldn't be good on anything.

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

not my taste. if I am going with a painted steelie, its a vintage rim.. I can not get past the wire basket look

15. aircap

aircap

And that's not a bad thing.

16. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

no thanks.

p.s. ive heard a couple people say on here " they are ok for as cheap as they are"

well wheel vintiques smoothies ran me 50 bucks a rim and they dont look like dog meat. so unless those fuckers are REAL cheap i just dont get it.

Attached Files:

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Used to be a dk green 122S in my town with Cragar SS's. Looked DAMN good. The Cragar smoothies uh, well, not for me thanks.

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Gotta say, what Levon did with them is a BIG improvement, and I can really appreciate a guy taking some ugly crap, and making them look at least passable. Got nothing but respect for that. But that having been said, I can still think of a dozen wheels that would look better. I am one of the older guys, I still cant help seeing those wire baskets on them. Makes me shudder...

19. RacerRick

RacerRick

I kinda like them. I am thinking about a set like levons for my 57' plymouth. Painted body color, wide whites, with a small double pin stripe and shannon cones.

20. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

I like 'em, especially like this.......

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

At the local salvage you can get the 83 cutlass wheels without the wire basket for $10 each. and they're chrome

22. Princess Auto sells trailer wheels that look exactly like these "new" wheels.

23. Mayor of G-Vegas

Mayor of G-Vegas

they do look like car trailer wheels.....

24. d.reese

d.reese
    BANNED

ugh. just my .10 cents

25. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

They look like shit. Like someone was designing a custom wheel and just said screw it, I can't think of anything just make em' flat and smooth.

26. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

You say "they look like shit"...I say "they're just highly theft resistant". :D

27. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

Leevon almost had me convinced, then,
    I saw the white trailer wheels...sorry

28. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Double BARF!!!!

29. Rocket Scientist Chris

Rocket Scientist Chris
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, they do look like they have a practical use. Since the wheel doesn't have the hub cap nibs stamped in, wheel covers with a concave, dished profile (like '55-'56 Oldsmobile Starfire and '56-'57 Lincoln Premire wheel covers) should snap on. I've actually thought about getting a set for my '55 Mercury just so I can use a set Lincoln Premire covers I've had forever! :)