Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is a title required to bring a pre-40's truck into Canada?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Graham M, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Graham M

Graham M
    from Calgary AB

Hey guys, I found the truck I wanted in Montana, and I'd like to bring it up to Canada, specifically Alberta/Sask where I am.
    like the title says, is a "title" required for the import process? how about the registration process once the truck is finished and ready to be put on the road?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and offer any help. :)Im pretty lost towards this process, I've imported much newer vehicles, but they had a title. The truck comes with a bill of sale only.

2. when i sold my coupe to a guy in alberta i gave him a notorized bill of sale and a copy of the current registration and i believe thats all he needed. he had it shipped to sweet grass montana and came down from lethbridge to get it. i don't believe he had any problems

3. Graham M

Graham M
    from Calgary AB

Awesome, thanks a lot! but the truck is unrestored, and VERY old, so what happens if there is no trace of any registration?
    (hopefully they'll be understanding of it, but this isn't always the case with these not-so-friendly border patrol folk)

4. gregsrt

gregsrt

A friend of mine brought up a 55 Chevy and it had no title at all and it was a project. They just listed it as parts at the border. Not sure what he's doing up here to plate it once it's done.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Taking it out of the US probably isn't a big deal but you had probably better check with your officials up there about what it takes to import it.

It might depend on how complete it is. There have to be more than a few guy who have taken cars and trucks back up there who can chime in.

I would get a notarized bill of sale though preferably on a typed out fairly legal appearing form. Just Google Bill of sale form and take your pick to download and print out. There is one that should be the second one on the list that is a pfd vehicle bill of sale that looks pretty good for that purpose. Having the signatures notarized will cost you a few bucks and take a little time but in the end run it will prove that the bill of sale is indeed a legal document and may avoid issues further down the road. <cite></cite>

6. oldskooloutlaw

oldskooloutlaw
    from Tulsa

I would suggest bringing it in as parts or even scrap metal. Then when you get started on your build thats the time to start the process of finding a title, there are several people I use here in Oklahoma which run from $175-$325 the process takes 4 to 6 weeks, PM Me if you would like me to see what is involved to obtain a Oklahoma title and registration,

7. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

I'm no expert but if its old enough and looks like just a rusty pile of parts Canada Customs probably won't say anything. Once you get it here and get it built you need to do the equivalent of an out of province inspection. There's some pretty good canadian forums that can help you with better information.

Check out:
    http://www.vintagerods.ca/forum.php
    http://canadianrodder.com/forum/

If the vehicle has no serial number the RCMP I believe can do an inspection then assign you a serial number but that'll run you about $800 bucks I've heard. Again I'm no expert so check into this more.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  8. Willys 77

Willys 77
    from up north

Check with your Provincial Government Registries depending whether you are in Saskatchewan or Alberta and get any paper work from them. Check with Canada Customs to see if they will give you any "Paper" detailing what the charges are! You probably want "paper" from who ever you talk to!

9. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

I think a customs broker with experience in importing cars to Canada would be a great asset to you. It might be money well spent to have all the paperwork done in a proper manner. Like the other poster said check the Canadian forums, this type of importation must happen on a frequent basis.

Good luck with your project.

10. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

Titles aren't used in Canada so that's not
    a issue with Canada Customs. The problem
    is with U.S Customs. Before the car will be
    allowed into Canada by Canada Customs, it
    has to be first cleared by U.S Customs and you
    need to present Canada Customs with a permit
    issued and stamped by U.S Customs to verify
    that the car isn't stolen or wanted in a criminal
    investigation and that it has no liens against it
    - ie - that is has a clear title.

Mart3406
    ===============

11. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Last June I brought a 59 Chevrolet Apache Suburban limo to Alberta from Montana, they were not going to let me get it in at all without the title... and it had been in a wrecking yard in Havre for 30 years, and the original owner is supposedly deceased in California... took me 2 years to figure out the BS title system, then a buddy in Missoula went into the DMV, was in line for 5 minutes, got me the forms I needed for a loast title, and they said it would come in the mail in 8 weeks, it came in just a few days though, and then my buddy "sold" me the truck, and I was able to get it over the border easily!

They would not let me take it across as scrap, parts or salvage, apparently the laws have changed.

The cool thing though was it had a shiny new Montana license plate on it when I took it over!

[​IMG]

12. koolkemp

koolkemp

They actually have titles here in Nova Scotia....really fucked me up coming from Ontario!!

13. Graham M

Graham M
    from Calgary AB

wow thank you! can I PM you if I have difficulty with it?

I'll definitely bookmark this page, there is a lot of good info here. :D

14. Graham M

Graham M
    from Calgary AB

Hey guys, hopefully this will be the last question. So the truck in question I just bought was a '38 Chevy half ton. A Hamb'er on here is selling a title for a '37 chevy half ton, thing is that said title is for a Nebraska truck.

So how thoroughly do they check the title to see if the title matches the truck in question?
    I imagine without the grill they'd have a very tough time telling, but Im just worried they'll run the VIN on the title to the trucks VIN, and they'd notice the discrepancy.

Is that anything to worry about? or how is this plan of action on my behalf?

With the title & bill of sale in hand, would this now be easy sailing?

Thanks guys!!! I wish you all were closer so I could buy you all beers for your advise. Its greatly appreciated!