Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building a new fab table: Somewhat budget consious

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ELpolacko, Apr 6, 2011.

1. BashingTin

BashingTin

That's not cheating.... That's using your head. ;)

Beautiful table.

2. Here is the final shot of this thing before I cover it up with customer projects...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That was 168 drilled and tapped 1/2"-20 holes in six sections of 28 on a 6" grid. I left the center and the space above the cross beams open.

Ready for work!

3. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

4. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

sickness... in a healthy way

5. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Beautiful table Stevie and it looks like you've got a lovely vulva too.

6. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Uhhhh, volvo.

7. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

damn that's nice

8. T-rev

T-rev

That table turned out amazing!! good build

9. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

HeHeHeH!!! He said vulva!!!

10. buzz4041

buzz4041
    from Texas

Smart guy hiring a new guy and get him to drill and tap all them fixture holes. Nice job you have done with it.

11. studeboy

studeboy

That table turned out REALLY nice. I'm glad I wasn't the one drilling those holes.

12. DRD57

DRD57

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Oh no, he isn't quite that sharp... He hired a new guy with a mag drill and then drilled all the holes himself! Tapped them too...

14. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

I could build a whole shop around something like this! fucken awesome.
    That mag drill thing is genious. i dont think i ever saw one....now i will probably be unable to live w/out one ahahah

15. willymakeit

willymakeit

Nice work. I like reading your posts. Keep them coming.

16. It's my nature to do things the hard way, so yeah, I drilled and tapped 140 of the holes.

Last Saturday, HotrodRon was hanging around and he saw me having such a blast drilling these holes. He overheard me expounding on how my sex life was much improved, my personal wealth had increased tenfold, and had become so wildly popular within my peer group by doing this task that he had to try drilling a few for himself.

He did 28 of the holes and his life has been improved greatly. I think he takes Ibuprofen by the fistful.

Money back guarantee!

And here is another random music video to wrap things up.

17. holy cow that is alot of holes. Looks good.

18. patman

patman

So when are you installing the pockets, rails, and felt? Somehow it looks like a giant pool table to me.

Nice work!

19. Last Saturday, HotrodRon was hanging around and he saw me having such a blast drilling these holes. He overheard me expounding on how my sex life was much improved, my personal wealth had increased tenfold, and had become so wildly popular within my peer group by doing this task that he had to try drilling a few for himself.

He did 28 of the holes and his life has been improved greatly. I think he takes Ibuprofen by the fistful.

Money back guarantee!

I want my money back this has not happened yet.

20. You just haven't waited the appropriate time for effects to manifest. Actual results may vary.

21. Awesome build Thread. Drilling holes makes you a real man for sure. Everyone should try it.. :)~ Thanks for the Ideas. Just curious as to why so many frame and build tables end up so close to the ground? I have had Lumbar fusion and when I am that close to the ground or stooping for long periods of time like we all do when we build and fabricate, It sure starts killin me. I kinda like being able to stand up a bit more. Just curious as to why most guys build them so close to the ground.

22. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

to make you ask questions... :p

no, seriously i have had that same thought from time to time...

23. HAHA Fiddy. How are you my Brother. I will be back here on the HAMB much more soon. Life is rough right now, but I will not let it get me down. Building is my only true way to relax. No matter how difficult it is or how long it takes Machining and Fabbing are what I love. But , it just is not comfortable to me to be so hunched over or close to the ground. :)

24. oj

oj

I tried a waisthigh fixture and you spent all your time trying to crawl under/into it to work. I wound up making a riser (scaffold platform thing) all the way around it to work from, when that project was done the fixture became raw metal again. having them low is better for perspective too, mine sets the tires about a foot off the ground so you can stand on the fixture to see what the car will looklike when it is sitting in a parking lot.
    Lots of guys build a surface plate like Steves' and i thought of doing one but i like the accessability of a fixture. There are roughly three different tables - a suface plate like Steves'; a work fixture like i use that supports the frame rails etc; and a jig that has specific locating devices for making duplicates.
    Suface plates are the tits for precise clamping of unique projects.

25. Keep the music videos coming. Great job as always Steve.

26. willymakeit

willymakeit

Always liked your work. I will watch this thread even if it is a year old.

27. Thanks again.

Why so low? Well I don't like lifting 300+ pound frames more than a foot or two off the ground. Plus, when The frame is on the table, I can put it on stands and assemble the entire suspension and check things out and measure. And when I'm building I can reach the center of the frame for welding or whatever without having to stand on a crate.

There was another thread asking about an adjustable height frame table, I think it's a good idea and one you might look into.

This style works well for me.

I just finished racking this frame up Monday. What a mess this thing is.

http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/bb93/ELpolacko/1951 Chevy Truck Metro Auto Auction/

[​IMG]

28. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

Amazing looking table! Lots of time and money, imagine not having the tools you do!

29. Thanks! I don't have to imagine, I lived it.

30. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

...And I was too smart to buy the Tom Saywer routine that Hot Rod Ron fell for! Well, kinda... Hey, what the hell you doin' on the H.A.M.B.? Aren't we goin' to Austin?