Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who wants a 1963 Mercury Meteor... for FREE??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The_Monster, Apr 11, 2011.

1. mustang86

mustang86
    from ohio

Hey Monster...

You have earned a great deal of respect from me and I'm sure alot of other members. To just give this beautiful car away to someone deserving is outstanding! Most people would try to get every last penny they could out of it. After reading some of these stories and posts....I feel sorry for you having to make the decision on who gets this car! Good luck to you and God Bless!

2. carfreak89

carfreak89
    from dayton,oh

hey man i just turned 21 and have posted on here plenty of times talking about starting a project. i want to build a gasser and i think this would make a great donner for that. this is an idea of something that would make that car look sweet( no its not that same make and model but a good idea)

Attached Files:

3. RDR

RDR

A few years ago I did some checking with the principal of our small town high school....our car club was willing to have classes for the kids on building a car project (40-60s)....teaching welding,rebuilding,painting, etc technics...Could even be accredited as many of our clubbers had been retired professionals in the trades.....We did not get enough interest from the student body to make it happen!!.....the school used to have an auto shop which has been long gone, budget cuts....

4. I graduated in 2010 and my high school had no shop class at all. I begged and begged for something. But nothing at all. They would not budge. Then my buddy started an engineering program at the school. We then went out to a race shop and bought an ex-drag car. We were going to make it a diesel or do something green with it. Make it environmentally friendly. All the members of the group were stoked, but the school wanted nothing to do with it. We even said that WE would be putting the money in and it would be done at my friends house, but the school wanted nothing to do with it. Eventually the group died and the car was taken away by the government, because even though the car had a cover on it, they still considered it an eye sore to the community, just because it didn't have a license plate. We managed to get the 10 bolt 2.73 rear, air shocks, mag wheels, etc. out of the car before it was taken away though. Bottom line schools just don't do that sort of thing anymore. My dad told me all kinds of cool stories of his shop class "back in the day". It is unfortunate how a school will not take that '63 in.

5. zmcmil2121

zmcmil2121

Well I live far away, but I would still love to throw my name in for consideration. I have no project cars and I have a great respect for classic cars. I wouldn't ever crush one when I could see it go to someone who needed it, and I will work my butt off to have the cleanest, straightest car out there.

I am 17 and I have a single mom, my dad (long story and he can rot in hell for all I care) is out of the picture, and she really wants to help me out with a car, and shipping from you to me for such a sweet ride is far less than the cost of buying one like that nearer to me.

In all truth, I would give the ride to rockabilly kid? I think that is his name. The guy who wants to do it for his mom, because he has got his head on right.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  6. Responding to problems with school auto program. I teach at one. Our situation must be different than most. We are luck enough to have a principal/director who realizes the possiblities of working with an older car. We are currently building a lakes modified styled car, complete with a straight 6, banjo rear, early front axle, and juice brakes. It is true that programs want cars less than 10 years old and we use those too, but the kids really get fired up on working with older cars. Just today, our director/principal asked me if it would be possible to build a drag car to help promote the school. I am currently looking into finding someone to help with the finances. Whoever wins this car and can find a way to get it to Alabama there is a technical school called Walker County Center of Technology that would be greatly interested in helping with the car.

7. svtmeteor

svtmeteor
    from Michigan

Major props to doing this. Its a pretty rare car for starters, but giving it away is just awesome. I cant say about how much this has made my week, and I hope that the right guy gets the car, because it really is something special. To whoever gets it, the best of luck to you.

8. falconking

falconking
    from michigan

hi i am interested in getting your free 63 meteor 4 door white in color. i am an freshman in college here in michigan looking for an 63 metoer cause my buddy eliot has one. i already have an 64 falcon convertible but i need an hardtop. if i was to recieve your car i am planning on noching the shock towers slightly and stuffing an 427 sideoiler in it that came out of my grandpas boat. i would like to make an metoer thunderbolt jsut like an 64 fairlane thunderbolt but an mercury. it would be cool to have an run for the fastest metoer here in michigan as you may knwo my buddy elloit has that svt metoer. if you have an questions about my nature of qualitly you can contact svtmetoer and he will tell you about me even more. if i get your meteor id pay 300 bucks for feright truck shipping here to michigan.

thanks for you time
    andrew

9. dart165

dart165

Seems to be some really eligible people on here. And like many others have said, Good lookin out to Monster, for being so generous. It's guys like you that make the community aspect of this hobby what it is.

I have a buddy here in Detroit who has started a program to take troubled kids from Detroit, and teach them a trade. Essentially it's a hot rod School for Detroit kids as a means to keep em off the streets and put their energy to use in a positive/productive way. He's got the shop space all set up, and I'll ask him if he has a car lined up for the kids yet. It's all non profit, and i believe the finished car will probably get auctioned for charity or something to that effect.

I'll hit him up and have him post a better description of the program, but I think it might work pretty well, since the car would be used to save a couple of kids from taking a wrong turn, give the world a few more hot rodders, and raise some money for charity , all while saving the car.

10. gearheadwelder

gearheadwelder
    from CT.

Monster you're very kind to do this, You have stated very clearly the rules and I believe that Allen " the rockabilly kid " should receive your gift.
    Please PM me and I'll send a donation for shipping.
    Good luck Allen...
    <!-- / message -->

11. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

Mitchelldemoor, there is a school in Detroit called Roseville High that has a program in their shop class that builds cool cars. Go to Wisconsin Hot Rod Radio and click on the past shows list and click on February 12, 2011 show. They are interviewing the teacher of the class.

12. I just wish there was something like that at my high school. You have to agree though that there is not much emphasis on things like repairing a vehicle in high schools nowadays

13. Blackcat333

Blackcat333

So any word on your decision, Monster?

14. modeleh

modeleh

This is a huge opportunity for someone thanks to Monster's extreme generosity on this deal.
    I have been following the thread and reading the posts by guys who want to be in the running.
    Consider this like a job interview.
    Prepare what you are going to type in, and for god sakes, the least you could do is spell your words correctly. It is a shame that some of these schools don't have a shop class, but I'm pretty sure they haven't cut out English classes yet. How are you going to convince this guy that you are going to give a damn about this car when you can't even take the time to re-read what you have typed in before you click the submit button?
    P.S. Meteor is spelled M.e.t.e.o.r., not metoer.:mad:

15. I've been thinking the same thing!

16. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

17. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

Kinda laim to ask peeple to chek there spelingg on a car fouruhm. Worrie about ur own

S-P-E-L-L-I-N-G!!!!!

18. The_Monster

The_Monster

Hello to all!

To answer a few questions:

Thread will be open until the end of the month.

We will make our decision after that.

Theres no definate date on when we will make our decision known, but it will be shortly after the end date.

Thanks to all who have wrote in to be considered, all applicants will be considered.

Thanks!

19. Thanks again Monster for your big heart. No matter who it goes to I am sure they will cherish it and they will have many memories in it.

20. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Dude you scrapped your hot rod. Whos to say some one wont get sick of looken at this one and you will have to junk it?

21. krayola

krayola

Sick paint work so far. Very stylish. I love post 1960 sedans, coups and econo boxes. Got a soft spot for a 3 window Fairlane and or 2 door Comet. Very cool.

22. Ah, that word, that human condition which many thought long extinct in the human race, has once again surfaced to remind us all that we are not just creatures composed of ID. Dust away the cobwebs from your vocabulary and say it with me: G-e-n-e-r-o-s-i-t-y. Far and wide may it spread. Well done to all those concerned. Hope it goes to a good home.
    What a wonderful, warm gesture!

23. coffeegirl

coffeegirl

I am new to this under my OWN name, but I have 2 sons & my husband who are on the H.A.M.B., so I am very proud to be here.

This is a wonderful gesture, my concern ... that the new owners have help, that they will seek others to help them. This gift should not be given to sit un-used, un-worked on for XX years .

Can the people who really want this car, post here the people who would be their back-up, ..... for advise, to work with them, clubs they belong to etc. I have seen several great posts, but without any help, these new guys might not be able to pull this off.

Maybe the new owner just want to fix the motor or ? to get a daily driver, but I think the H.A.M.B. members would like to knows that down the road, there will be more modification done to this car.

What are your full plans ....

I speak not as a person who does, this but as someone who knows the dreams & sees them get done. Someone who supports my guys in all aspects of this great sport.

Thanks for letting me get my feelings out. Coffee Girl

24. WornOutOldMan

WornOutOldMan
    from So Cal

If the winner needs any help on this project (and happens to be in Southern Ca) I can offer my time, tools and experience to help. (retired master tech)

25. I just wanted to say that it's RAD what you are doing. Most people these days are trying to drain anyone of all the money they can. Props.

26. Eastpunk

Eastpunk

There is only one person I know of that is deserving enough and who would properly appreciate such a gift. His Name is Richard Grey.

Rick has been a friend of mine for many years and (with his father) an avid rodder for his entire life. He has helped many others as well as myself on countless car projects and has never asked for anything in return- it is simply something that he truely loves to do.

His first major car (an amazing Chevelle) was totaled by his fiance as he slept in the back seat. I'll spare you the details except to say she was killed and it's no small miracle he is breathing today. An active marine at the time- he was medically discharged, and his plans to finish college on a medical degree fell through. His luck with cars since has been sketchy at best.

The last project he had was a labor of love: a sweet '54 chevy. A few of us (car guys he had helped out in the past) gave him some last minute help and parts to help him get it on the road in time to see its first car show, but almost as soon as he had it road worthy he was forced to sell it. (To a kid in California whom I hope gave it a good home!)

It's been years since he has had his own project; the first years in his life that he hasn't had one!

Currently he spends his days as a volunteer EMT and is training to be a paramedic/firefighter, and further volunteers his time helping a local dog rescue even fostering dogs for them. He even cuts the grass once a week for a buddy of his that has simply gotten too old to do it himself. And Rick has never passed someone working on a car and not offered to help.

Im not saying the guy is a saint, or 100% selfless- Rick's just the kind of guy that makes you find room for improvement in yourself. In a good way. And cars are totally his passion- they are in his blood and his knowledge base of automobiles is incredible. It's a shame to see him without one.

PM me and I'll give you his phone number. I'm sure he will tell you he doesn't deserve the car and probably suggest an alternative, lol, but believe me: Rick is one hell of a guy, and he deserves it.

27. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

It would be nice to see someone get this project who has helping hands like Rick. It's going to take more than one person to make it the custom we're hoping it will be. Good luck Rick.

28. eddie_zapien

eddie_zapien

Still up for grabs?! my wife would love to have a cool car for carting the kids around and getting the grocceries.

29. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Your good people Monster...

.and damn FNG's coming outta the woodwork on this one!

30. indianhead74

indianhead74

What a cool thing to do, Let me know how it works out, I was thinking about doing something similar to this with a couple of my old cars. Indy