Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old Pontiac engine?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 87yjtoy, Apr 24, 2011.

1. 87yjtoy

87yjtoy
    from Brandon MS

I have a freind that works in an old salvage yard. They found this old motor while cleaning out an old storage barn. Anyway we need help with IDing it and checking value of it.

It is a V8 and has Strato Speed on the valve covers, rear dist, Canister oil filter. The transmission looks to be a cast iron automatic it has a two peice bell housing that is bolted to the transmission.

Any help with year, model and/or value would be greatly appreciated. I will get some pics of it as soon as I can go by there.

Thanks

2. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

---------------------------------
    Cant do much about IDing it without the pics.
    As soon as you get some pic of it up, somebody
    here will positively I.D. it. By the way, the
    "Strato" prefix moniker on the valve covers
    does sound like Pontiac, but I've never heard of
    Pontiac using the term "Strato Speed". Could
    it be "Strato Streak" or something like that??

Mart3406
    ==========

3. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pontiac will have starter on the left side, Oil filter in an adapter on the right side, sheetmetal valley cover and a connection between the intake water crossover and the water pump (later) or a connection between the cylinder heads (early)

4. wvenfield

wvenfield

I'm betting on Strato Streak also. Easy way to tell if it's an early Pontiac V8 (which it likely is) is to see if there is a hose coming off the water pump (both sides) into the front of the heads. Early Pontiac 8's are reverse flow cooling and therefor mostly only sought after by the guys looking for a Pontiac specific engine. Combined with the linkage for the tranny, there aren't many sticking them into anything else.

If it has a 4 barrel intake, those are pretty sought after. Likely moreso than the engine.

5. bryan6902

bryan6902

I'm going to wager it's a 55 or 56. I think they only used those valve covers on the 1st couple years. Hard to know without a picture.....

6. texoutsider

texoutsider
    from Frisco, Tx

Ditto on the early Poncho...........

7. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

8. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

----------------------
    Also used in '55 through '59 GMC trucks.
    The GMC versions were identical to the
    Pontiac engines except for the color. Also,
    in 1955, GMC called the 287 a "288" and
    for '56 they called the 317, a "316". Also,
    starting in '58 and continued for 1959,
    GMC used a unique, 336 cubic inch engine
    which was small-bore version of the
    Pontiac 370 in '58 and and even smaller
    bore version of the Pontiac 389 for 1959.

Mart3406
    =================

9. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

To determine what year the engine is, you can tell us if the transmission has a SIDE COVER on the driver side. This side cover will be where the linkage levers are at. If it does have the side cover, then the engine is 55 (most likely) or 56. If no side cover then it is 56 or later. As was mentioned, 55-59 had hoses from the water pump to the cylinder heads. 1960 and after did not have these hoses. Hope this helps.

10. Silver Streak was pontiac from 40's to early 50's as I remember. Strat-streak sounds more like a Fender Guitar.

11. 87yjtoy

87yjtoy
    from Brandon MS

Thanks for the replies and ideas,
    Yes It looks like the pic. I will get a pic of it when i get down there next. Ok next question? any value without the 4 barrel carb boss said send it to the shredder.

12. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

I'd be interested in the transmission related parts (flywheel, bell housings, torus members, transmission itself). I have a 287 already, and it has a 4bbl intake.

13. I'd be interested in the valve covers and water ports on the heads

14. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

The 55 287 Pontiacs only had the passenger side valve cover with the Strato Steak placard on it. The driver side was just a valve cover, no logos.

15. Shredded value us about 50-60 bucks, right?
    I'd grab It for twice that

16. My 56 317 also had it on the passenger side with the driver side being bare....

17. wvenfield

wvenfield

Sure it's worth money..... It's not going to bring Hemi money or anything but if you want one they aren't laying around everywhere.

The carb isn't as important as the intake. As already spoken for, nice valve covers are always in demand also.......

Being a Pontiac guy I'd like to see it running again. Oh, the exhaust manifolds are a bit oddball also (as you'll note). Again something not just laying around everywhere if you need them. You can't just go out and buy headers.

18. nummie

nummie

dont listen to anyone else, its worth $5 and a case of beer. Ill be over to pick it up.

19. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Like I said, I am interested in all the transmission related stuff. $10 and two cases of beer. DO I HEAR $15 AND 3 CASES OF BEER. OBTW: WHAT BEER IS ACCEPTED? KEYSTONE LIGHT, OLD MILWAUKEE, MILWAUKEE'S BEST????

20. 87yjtoy

87yjtoy
    from Brandon MS

Sorry havent been on here aand checked the thread. will go over there this week and get pics and get him to decide what he wants to do with it. I saw the pass side valve cover and didnt look at the driver side. Didnt pull the oil bath breather to check on the intake but that is in the works also.