Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Open Headers on a 200 mile road trip - bad idea?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jaker, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Jaker

Jaker

'29 roadster with 292 Y-block and 4speed...

Aside from the noise, is there a potential of wrecking the motor from not enough back pressure, or.....??

I've driven around town and plenty of 50 mile jaunts with no problems..

I have collectors / baffles, but the car runs pretty hot with them on, and I have always tuned it with them out.

Any input is appreciated.. slow Monday at work and I'm day dreaming about Vintage Torque Fest this weekend!

2. spudsmania9

spudsmania9
    from Arkansas

Seriously. the noise is enough problem by itself. Hearing loss is always the "other guy's" problem until it happens to you. When you notice the problem, your hearing is already gone forever.
    I wish I had my left ear again.

3. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

I've driven my 400" powered coupe (with no windows) on a 400 mile round trip. Drag headers. I'll be going on a 600 mile round trip with it next month. Just wear ear plugs.

4. ear plugs solve that problem
    or put some turn downs on them to redirect the noise
    i think you will be ok with the lack of back pressure thing
    are they zoomies or lakes pipes?
    tk

5. They run 500 miles at Daytona. I don't think that the headers being open causes any problems other than noise fatigue.

6. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

If your carb is adjusted properly (richened) for open headers probably the only
    things at risk are your eardrums. Piston aircraft engines run open headers.

"Can ya hear me now?" You won't be able to when you get back!
    Enjoy your trip.

7. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I'd run baffles. Most likely, the car sounds like crap because it's too loud. I noticed my roadster actually sounded healthier with the baffles. Don't just run open headers just because it's louder.:rolleyes:

8. When I was in the Air Force back in the early 80s, I had just rebuilt the 302 in my '69 Z/28 and didn't have the money to finish the exhaust, so I bolted on a pair of blown out Thrush header mufflers. No turndowns, and the exhaust exited the muffler right below my seat. It was incredibly loud, especially when I was lettin' the little 302 rip through the gears.

My sister was getting married in Louisville, so I packed up the Camaro and left Valdosta, Georgia and drove 12 straight hours. When I got there, I was so fatigued from the noise that when my Dad offered me a beer, I couldn't hear a word he said. Needless to say, Dad loaned me the money for an exhaust, and the ride home was much, much better.

My advice: Ear plugs, ear muffs, something to muffle the noise. When you lose hearing permanently, there's no getting it back.

9. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

I can still hear with both ears....fairly well..... through the ringing. Don't do it.

10. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Big difference between having the exhaust exit just before the rear tires ( like NASCAR ) and a having the headers exit at the door. One is in front of you and the other behind . Not to mention that the Nascar boys exit on the Passenger side as well...

11. Jaker

Jaker

'Sounds' like Ear plugs would be in my best interest! (pun intended?)

seriously thanks guys for the advice!

12. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Sorry what was that - I can't hear you.

Seriously though - what value do you place on your hearing????

build your car so as that you can drive it anywhere, however far it is. I drove a Chebby more-door for years. sold it because I was sick of fighting it to stay on the road - looked good, a bitch to drive. Open headers are in the same league.

13. Ha ha, back in the mid 80's I drove my 73 Hurst/Olds with the same setup (well 455 ci.) from Mo. back to Va. to the Army base, 17 hrs. It was so freaking loud they wouldn't let me in on base after that long ass drive untill I had full exhaust.

Wear ear protection if you're going to do it.

14. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I am old and have done this kind of foolishness for years ,don't do it would be my advice. I don't think it will harm the engine any but it does get very bad on your ears. A Dr. told me once that sudden loud noise is bad ,but continuous noise is worse. Have fun!!

15. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Back in the recent past... say prior to WWII or even Vietnam, working or playing without hearing protection was the macho thing to do - around powerful and noisy stuff like construction machinery, artillery, aircraft, and of course race cars. So if you have a nostalgia ride, you might as well be nostalgia deaf like grandpa is, too! Gary

Attached Files:

16. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not to mention that unless the motor is worked, ie:if its close to stock and is running through open headders it sounds like SHIT!!

Doc.

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Even if you run baffles I'd suggest wearing ear plugs but definitely when you have open headers. Personally the noise even with ear plugs would have me fatigued out to the point I would have a hard time having fun when I got there.
    I have always felt that guys who run open headers on a street car do so because they figure that the car doesn't measure up in their own mind and that is how they can draw attention to the car. Just look around at the next rod trot you go to and see who busts his car off with open headers every half hour on the half hour or who makes that hourly thump thump thump put through the event to draw attention to the car.

18. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

X2, that's what I was trying to say nicely. You don't want to pull in and have everyone think your car sounds like shit.:eek:

19. Jaker

Jaker

the motor is worked... .30 over, lumpy cam, some head work done, 3-2's, hot ignition, etc...

I do have an a really small penis, though... which is why I have open headers in the first place!

20. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I don't remember anyone asking about your penis though.:(

21. Deuces

Deuces

Now days, the "boys in blue" will write you up for LOUD exhausts... It's up to you man!... Something to think about...

22. 2manytoys

2manytoys
    from Fresno

Hearing loss isn't living in a quieter world, your brain compenstates with constant ringing in the ears (Tinnitus). It doesnt go away, its there day and night, at work and play, some days its louder, for some people it drives them nuts, there is no escape, you cant hear your grandkids words to you... there is NO PEACE. I have severe loss in one ear and moderate loss in the other because of my misspent youth working and playing in a noisy environments without hearing protection.

Or, after all that has been said about it on this thread, just go ahead and run it with out headers... maybe you can start snorting crack too, add some coke...

23. Grommet

Grommet
    from South GA

SOUNDS GREAT TO ME !!!! did you hear me??
    hahahaha

Grommet

24. pastlane

pastlane

The money you save by not putting a proper exhaust on can go toward the inevitable noise tickets & a deposit on a hearing aid.

25. sololobo

sololobo

say what! Good advice, is that my phone ringing, nope just my ears. Protectem, it is cool. ~sololobo~

26. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

Just got home yesterday from a 900+ mile roadtrip w/ open headders. I've gone farther than that in the past. Earplugs are key. There sure are a bunch of Sallys on here lately.

27. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Like they say......

[​IMG]

28. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

Yeah I don't get it... just wear ear plugs and let it rip!

29. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

"Sallys" :D:D:D Now that's funny

30. hotdamn

hotdamn

I may sound like a meanie pants by saying this but, I cant stand open headers on a street car. cut outs? sweet! open headers, annoying.

loud is fine just run some 1 7/8's out the back with either straight pipes or shorties but open headers on a street car just screams look at me.

if you want to drive your race car on the street then put some cut outs in your exhaust.

just my two pennies.