Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Kent Fuller Top Fueler Recreated

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by riceman, Apr 22, 2011.

1. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

This is gonna be so cool. I never noticed Roger just how narrow that front end was till I saw a head on pic! Lippy

2. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

You seem to know a lot about early TF and Fuller history, so I'll ask you.

In 1964, Rod Stuckey told me that (in those days before firesuits), the car which he said was his first chassis build and in which he was badly burned (in NorCal) later became the Greer, Black and Prudhomme car. It was considered by most accounts at that time to be a Fuller chassis.

When the GBP restoration was featured in Hot Rod several years ago, owner Bruce Meyer also stated in the article that it was it was Rod's chassis that became GBP.

I didn't know Rod well enough to be able to judge his credibility. But I have always been curious as to why Bruce also went against the conventional wisdom and made that same claim. Bruce was probably a little kid when Rod died, so he must have gotten that his info elsewhere.

Great idea for a build by the way.

3. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

Riceman is THE MAN! This is going to be one cool car. Short wheelbase and a Hemi = Pure Bad Ass.

Thanks for the thread. Gonna watch this one good. Brian

4. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Outstanding choice! Absolutely one of my favorite Top Fuelers of all time. Saw it run at Fontana many times... many memories of it... Your detailed build of it is fascinating, will be following this thread...

5. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

A master FED builder......I love it! The kinda thinking that's gotta drive tightly wound engineer types battschitt.

6. Now you'll have to buy a stacker trailer and a big ass motorhome....

Good job my friend.....

7. riceman

riceman

I have traced the original dragster to it's sixth owner with confirmation that it was the car. The 7th owner's son as not returned my calls since he has passed away.

Here is a dragster that has been raced up till early 2000, lengthen 3 times and who knows what other changes has been made or what is left of the original car.

I made the decision to replicate this Top Fueler, not duplicated as a exact copy using the era correct parts. The BUDGET controls this too.

The Jan 1964 Hot Rod Magazine has are article. A head on picture of TV Tommy Ivo's Barnstormer is on the cover.

Attached Files:

8. riceman

riceman

From Kent Fuller, " The original owner was Louie Senter of Ansen who bought the car from me. Rod drove for Senter and got burned bad in a motor blow up. Sold the car to Tom Greer. "

9. seawolf

seawolf

What did Kent use for a torsion bar?

10. riceman

riceman

He used a VW Bug multi-leaf , .748 square, shorten length to the width needed.

11. 296ardun

296ardun

Outstanding!!! I remember this car well, but the history was sometimes confusing..you know it better than anyone. Bob Haines rolled the original M&R purple Fuller car when the chute failed to open (Fremont?)...and then M&R got the Champion car with McClennan's blown Chevy and installed their 392 in the Chevy's place, repainted the body and went racing.....is this sort of right or is my memory out to lunch?

Great restoration!!! wish I didn't live so far away!

12. hotrod316

hotrod316
    from ohio

Riceman,

"The front axle mounting 3/8'' hole ends are slotted on the arms."
    can you please explain why the front axle mounting holes were slotted?
    many thanks
    steve m.

13. Roger,,did Jet Car drive the car you're building, or am I thinking of Watermans deal?
    The magazine you're talking about also has a picture of the car in my avatar,when my dad was using B&Ms Torkmaster.
    Good luck with new car,,maybe I'll come up later this summer & help for a couple days.
    Troy Cagle

Attached Files:

14. riceman

riceman

M & R Cigar nose car was rolled at Half Moon Bay..... Your memory is good, you just have "Space for Rent" for more NITRO ! You buying Lunch ?

Attached Files:

15. riceman

riceman

Hey Troy ! I don't think Jetcar Bob Smith drove this Fueler, but you know JCB, he'll make a pass in any car. LMAO !

16. riceman

riceman

First off the torsion bar arms are allowed to pivot and slide in the front axle mount As the 4.250 length torsion bar arms pivot in a smaller radius vs. the 36'' hairpin radius rods which pivots in a much larger radius, which changes the axle location when it moves up or down.

If the holes were not slotted, the Hairpin radius rods would bind up with added pressure. The Grade 8 bolts are used with a full shoulder of the bolt in contact with the front axle mounting brackets and torsion bar slotted hole surfaces. The 3/8 NF bolts will be torqued to 30 ft/lbs and then backed off one nut flat allowing .007 or less air gap for movement.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  17. 1926T

1926T

I saw the M&R dragster turn 200mph at Fremont raceway in 64or5 with Chuck Poole at the wheel, couldn't back it up because the car broke in 3 peices at the finish line, Chuck later came out with the chuckwagon wheel stander,

18. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

This is going to be a nice build. Kent Fuller, I know this name somehow, just can't put my finger on it. . .

19. riceman

riceman

Do a search on Google BD

20. You're joking, right?

21. riceman

riceman

The Motorplate picture and one with the Donovan welded aluminum clutch can. I am tired....beer time !

Attached Files:

22. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

No, seriously. Not from his work, but I think my dad may have knew him. I just get the feeling my dad has taken me to his shop when I was just a wee lad.

23. hotrod316

hotrod316
    from ohio

24. 49willard

49willard
    from Maine

I spent a great day with Kent (supposed to call him Fuller!) about 6 weeks ago on a west coast trip. What a great guy. The 2X4 story is pure Fuller.

25. voxnut

voxnut
    from sacramento

Roger- are you going to make the body out of aluminum or glass? That's one of the prettiest tail sections ever... looking forward to following the build.

26. riceman

riceman

The body will be a combination, fiberglass tail, aluminum sidepanels , bellypan and cowl. The Tail section lines are so close to what is needed. Thanks to Brian Fox, King Chassis.

Attached Files:

27. riceman

riceman

Yesterday I picked these up from Potvin Doug Peterson. 10 x 16 American Magnesium wheels....perfect !

Attached Files:

28. riceman

riceman

FUN STUFF ! 3D and all we need is Smellavision. Thanks

29. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Way Bitchin my Friend.... Way Bitchin....

We shall cut and grind together... :)