Register now to get rid of these ads!

I need Pics of the old gasser 49 Plymouth High and Mighty..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cadillacin Marcus, Oct 30, 2004.

1. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Is that the old original Ramchargers car with the funky home made intake? The one those renegade Chrysler engineers built on the side.

2. Thats it!! the first tunnel ram ever built!! 1959

3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

it was in hotrod a few years back, maybe the issue with the yellow tri five chevy gasser on the cover and a few gassers inside. ive got a worn out copy of it in my moms basemtn somewere.....

4. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I see it's picture pop up in a magazine every so often but not for a couple years now.
    The interesting thing on the intake was they designed it to use radiator hose for runners so they could experiment with length. Plus the car got some wicked assed weight transfer. I think that car also set the trend for the jacked up look.

5. Lowlife

Lowlife
    from MO. USA

Attached Files:

6. Lowlife

Lowlife
    from MO. USA

One more from Ed Almquist's Hot Rod Pioneers

Attached Files:

7. The headers were based on the Norton racing bikes of the time. Where they used tapered tube and a trumpet end to aid scavenging. The Ramchargers reckoned they were so efficient that they pulled some of the intake charge through with the exhaust!
    Another cool feature was that the headlight covers were the old Plymouth hubcaps.
    Check out the June 2001 issue of Rod & Custom, on the back page is a great full page close up of the high 'N' Mighty in the Pits.

8. koolkemp

koolkemp

In all the stories of the car or the ramchargers nothings ever been mentioned of what happened to the car,anyone have any idea?

9. Greezy

Greezy

I went to a Mopar swap meet at the Detroit fairgrounds I believe it was 86or 87. I ran across the intake at a vender selling intakes, I asked him if it was off of the Ramchargers car. Would have made some cool garage art but i was just a broke dick teenager at the time.

10. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

Clone!Clone! The exhaust note alone would be worth the effort! Sparky

11. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

The car was dismantled and basically pieced out sometime in 1960. They're trying to get it back together, some of you guys need to give them a hand if you have anything to offer.

http://www.cemaclub.org/highmighty/index.php

12. beatnik

beatnik

My understanding is that this car was what started the Ramchargers cars, a group of Chrysler engineers screwing around at the track.

13. [ QUOTE ]
    The car was dismantled and basically pieced out sometime in 1960. They're trying to get it back together, some of you guys need to give them a hand if you have anything to offer.

http://www.cemaclub.org/highmighty/index.php

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats wicked never knew they were putting it back together and its got its own website!

14. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Here's a few pics for ya Marcus. [​IMG]

Josh

15. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

16. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Same pic as earlier in post but in color. [​IMG]

17. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

18. Man I dig that thing...Way ahead of its time...I have a 1959 Hot Rod with that in it..Crazy...Thanks Alot!!!

19. That is easily the coolest 49 Plymouth ever built

20. tk2leadsled

tk2leadsled
    from Manor, TX

21. GEEZZER

GEEZZER

Not to be picky but... The High and Mighty was nowhere near a gasser. It was an altered,Completly different class. C/A

22. That's alright, the people from 2004 don't care anymore!!-MIKE:rolleyes: