Register now to get rid of these ads!

blue layout dye?? what's it called? where do I get it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FoxSpeed, Apr 21, 2011.

1. FoxSpeed

FoxSpeed
    from NorCal

I am looking to get some of that blue dye to layout some cuts in metal. I've seen it used, have no idea what it is called, or where to purchase. Can you help?

2. sacredsteel1

sacredsteel1

I believe its called just that, "Layout Dye". In my area the local Car Quest has it in the section with the welding/grinding supplies. Also any welding supply should carry it.

3. mogara

mogara

Dykem. I get it at the local machine tool supplier. I'm sure its available online.

4. The brand name most popular is Dykem, you can sometimes find it at your LWS, or Local Welding Supplier. Grainger is another. Fastenal should have it also. In a pinch you can clean the metal with Laquer thinner and use a BROAD felt tip marker. Dykem is available in red also FWIW.

5. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

6. Dykem is a brand name but it is also the recognized name for layout dye. If you go to any of the mentioned sources and say dykem they will know what you are talking about.

Just wanted to throw that out there.

7. Dykem, layout dye. same thing red or blue.

8. RacerRick

RacerRick

I have also heard it called machinists blue.

9. Hey Rick, prussian blue is actually non hardening. Best used for checking mating surfaces. We use it in the race shop for checking distrib. gear and cam gear fitment. If you use a adjustable collar on the dizzy, or just for blueprinting in general to see if the dizzy needs to be shimed or the collar turned. Hope that helps buddy:D What do you think of the new MOROSO?

10. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Dykem Blue was what they used at the sheet metal shop that made our panels.

11. skidmarks, the spray can is the deal for sheet metal or long lines on sticks of tubing like if you make your own 32 style frame rails!!!

12. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Old left over cans of spray paint work too.

13. I found a can on the shelf in the garage. It was labeled "DYKEM STEEL BLUE". It was from "The Dykem Company", 2307 North Eleventh Street, St. Lewis, Mo. I don't know how old the can is but there is no web site, no zip code and the can has a pin hole leak from having rusted through. Time to clean out the garage.

Charlie Stephens

14. I get it in the big fat magic marker form, also made by Dykem. Really cuts down on the waste and most of the mess. I used to see the old sheet metal guys apply it on big panels poured into a rag.

Bob

15. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Its called Engineers Blue in England

16. it also works well for marking gears like when you are setting up a rear end or tranny. I keep a tube in my tool box.

17. Dick's Beaters

Dick's Beaters

Got mt Dykem from Fastenal. But sharpie magnum tip markers work real nice too.

18. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The marker gig is as handy as a shirt pocket. No mess and great for small marks. As said above, they don't like oily surfaces but neither does Dykem.

19. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

for metal contrast? in my opinion, that would only work if you dont mind a HUGE mess to clean off of the steel once finished, and it would take a whole lot longer to be ready to use... have you actually done that?

20. 117harv

117harv

I have some also, but find that a good old black sharpie ink pen works great for small stuff.

21. Deuces

Deuces

I use the stuff for when I'm port matching the intake runners on both the intake manifold and cylinder heads... When I'm finished, I just wipe the ink off with some thinner and a rag...

22. I just got a spray can at our local bearing supply house. It was about $11 with tax. While I was there I picked up a couple of wall mount fractional/metric/decimal drill and tap tables printed on plastic. Nifty shop accessory. Free for the asking.

23. Pistnbroke

Pistnbroke
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

McMaster -Carr they have a on line catalog. great people to work with and ship same day. That is where I got mine.
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#

24. rustyangels

rustyangels

25. rustyangels

rustyangels

Is that the stuff with the hazmat chemical 111 ?
    LPS version of tapping fluid smells like celery......weird

26. FoxSpeed

FoxSpeed
    from NorCal

can you plasma cut through a felt marker? I thought dykem was best for cutting?

27. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah, I do... I used to use that stuff with the "Tap Matic" years ago...

28. havi

havi

Tap Magic, oh boy, lol. We switched to Anchor Lube.

29. 1.1.1 trichloroethane, yep, that's a MANS tapping fluid.

I still use it for Ti and SS machining or anything I can't replace.

Oh, and on the Dykem, it is available in a felt tip dispenser.
    I bought one when replacing the bottle/brush that broke open and all over the floor.
    Works very well, in fact, I use it more than the brush.

J