Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tricks needed for moving a rear end.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimbo17, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I need to move a rear end over about 1/2 to 1 inch and would like to hear from others who have done something like this.

Without removing the rear end and taking leafs off to grind down the pins on the top and bottom.

Maybe a hydraulic jack would take some of it out without making a special trip to a body shop with power jacks.

Any good ideas?

It's a Chevrolet truck chassis.

Jimbo

2. ...wanna run that by us again? ...which way are you tryin to move the rearend?

3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I agree, you need to clarify what it is you are trying to do.

There is usually the right way to do something (which by the way you did not describe with your talk of grinding down spring pins ?? :confused: )
    and then there is the "trick" which quite often is also wrong.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Add me to that list of guys who need more info on what you are trying to do and why.

That said the correct way is to cut the pads off the axle. move it over where you want it and weld them back on or buy new Moroso pads for about 25.00 and weld them on.

You grind the pins off the springs (they are the bolts that hold the leaves together) and you wll have a bunch of spring leaves laying all over the floor after you get done ducking.

I take it that either the rear axle is the 1/2 or 1 inch out of line with the front axle or it isn't centered on the frame or under the bed right?

5. whatcha talkin bout willis????

is it welded in wrong? damaged in a wreck?

6. badshifter

badshifter

I did mine by sliding into a curb when I was 16. Try that method. It's free and it works. Moved the rear end a good 6-8 inches.

7. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Jimbo, Is it off center side to side ? 1" ?
    If so easy fix...Drop the leafs off the housing, drill the center hole in the pad to a much larger size.. set it back in place, scoot it over 1/2"..
    Dave

8. Screamin' Metal

Screamin' Metal
    from Oklahoma

What he said!:cool:

9. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I need to move the rear end about 1" towards the drivers side of the truck.

When we checked it out with the old string method on both sides the rear end is to far towards the passenger side.

The front end is wider then the rear track so I was going to split the difference.

It appears the truck was hit a one time in the rear drivers side.

When the truck is going down the road the rear end is off to the right side.

The idea of drilling a larger hole sounds like it would work.

I plan on putting the truck on a level surface and jacking up the rear end and then taking off the nuts and bolts and moving it once I have the strings set up.

Jimbo

10. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it was hit in the rear, it might have a slight bend (sidesway) in the frame, or "diamond" (pushed out of square to a slight diamond shape), which may cause the rear axle to be off to one side (dog tracking). You may be able to check this at home by measuring "X's" at different points along the frame. Start at the front and measure the whole frame "X" left front to right rear-right front to left rear, and see if there is a huge difference (3/8 to 1/2 inch off isn't very bad from front to rear on the "X"). Then do smaller "X" measurements from front to back using the same reference points on each side so the "X's" should be the same. A frame shop will hang several "centering gauges" on the frame rails that show the center of the frame from underneath in a line, if one or more gauges is off center that's where your "sway" is. Also, if you check most full frame style cars and trucks, most of them will have the rear axle off to one side an inch or even more.

If you suspect the frame is moved or bent, fix that before changing the location of the rear axle.

overspray

11. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

What he said.

Seriously.

:cool:

12. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

Thats what i am thinking. Fix the damage first.
    "AND THE BOWTIE ROLLS ON"

13. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Measure the frame and figure out what's wrong, then fix the damage as required.

14. When I want her to move her rear end I spit on my index finger and ....oops wrong forum! Sorry fellas Cary on

15. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

might only need 45 minutes on a frame machine. make friends with a body shop.

16. Ramblux

Ramblux

You sure the bed isn't just off by a bit?