Register now to get rid of these ads!

High Zinc Non-Detergent

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bab59, Apr 19, 2011.

1. bab59

bab59

1953 Pontiac Straight 8 with 88,000 Miles. No oil filter system. I would like to run a non - detergent oil since it has no filter. I cannot find any high zinc additive package. Risk the 10w30 Brad Penn oil?

Valvoline techs say do not run detergent cause it will disturb the junk internall built up, I agree.

2. BigChief

BigChief

If the motor is clean inside then there should be no worries about the detergent oils. ZDDP is available in bottles for 6-8 bucks. So far so good with that. If you can stomach the detergent in the oil then Brad Penn GREEN oil is a no-brainer.

3. Stukka

Stukka
    from SoCal

The only non detergent I know of is for air compressors and large vacuum pumps.

4. Is this engine a candidate for adding an external oil filter kit? :confused:

5. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

I'd run detergent. You have no idea what the previous owners have ran for oil. On a motor with a questionable history I'l change the oil every couple hundred miles or so for about 800 miles to flush out the gunk.

6. bab59

bab59

The pontiac straight 8 in 53 had no provision for oil filter or adaption.

7. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Try a local airport. Shell (and I assume others) used to make a non detergent for dry sump aircraft use. I don't know about the ZDDP figures on it.

8. Stukka

Stukka
    from SoCal

That's right. AeroShell Straight Grade. Forgot about that.

9. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I ran Rotella in my flathead. No problems at all.

10. bab59

bab59

What does everyone run in early engines with no oil filter?

Whats a guy to do detergent change at 100 miles two times. Then switch back to a good non-detergent?

Maybe I am too concerned...

11. gas pumper

gas pumper

Can you look inside? thru a breather or taking the pushrod cover off? If it's all sludged up, detergent oil will loosen some of that jello up. If it's clean, it might have been running on normal detergent oil since 1960 or something and will have all the gunk dissolved and gone.

So if it's lived it's life on non detergent oil, which is unlikely, changing the oil every couple of hundred miles will get it cleaned out. Just change it when it turns brown (not black, black is good, brown is bad). And then keep running the modern oil with added Zinc, or just run Rottella that has zinc.

Frank

12. no55mad

no55mad

ZZDPlus sold here by an Alliance vendor - good people! They have a good website too www.zddplus.com

13. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

Resolute 10w-30 diesel motor oil. It has the right amount of zinc. I change it every 1000 miles (I drive on a lot of dirt roads).

14. Smokey2

Smokey2

Pardon'me, But I get Non-detergent 30 wgt. At Wal-Martie, Auto Zonie, AND, Ho,Ho, O;Riley's...........I can't believe striaght 8 Poncho, had No Provision? fer Oil Filter??, I'll havta' Get me Dad's old Lub Guide (ESSO/ Standard Oil Co.) CHART Out an look that up......

Smokin; in tha' Smokey Mts., One Qt. at a Time !
    Best to ya! :cool:

15. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

Castrol GTX 10w-30 in the '55 265 in my coupe. Changed every 3000 miles or so.

16. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

The local Stater Bros Market carries a off-brand non-detergent motor oil

17. Ricks57

Ricks57
    from San Diego

Hi,
    Use a non-detergent oil and an additive like Camshield, Lucas TB Plus, or some of the others. That way you have protection for the cam but don't have to worry about the detergent in a newer oil.
    Rick

18. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Be careful about non-detergent oil. Much of what you find has lower grade ratings than "regular" oil. That info is(or should be) listed on the container. At least some of the aircraft and industrial products are good(and also more expensive), but you need to check.

19. richie rebel

richie rebel

20. A filter can be adapted to about anything. They actually made after market filters for those engines back in the day.

That said you can find a non detergent oil, I would have to get off my dead ass and look to find it but I'm not the one that needs it.

I would just find a non or low detergent oil and buy a zinc additive to run with it if I was worried about it.

21. Diavolo

Diavolo

Joe Abbin is the flathead king IMHO. I took this from another post I did...

22. Diavolo

Diavolo

That being said, change your oil often until it stays relatively not-black. Then change it with some frequency (3k miles is good).

23. bab59

bab59

Any current L8 268 owners?