Register now to get rid of these ads!

50 ford sedan to low question????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by old soul, Apr 19, 2011.

1. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

I put 3 inch lowering blocks in the back of my shoe box. I wanted to drop the front a hair. So with out thinking it over and asking old schoolers. I took a coil in a half out of the front. When I dropped the car I noticed the frame was resting on the bump stops. The bottom of the wheels were kicked out some. You guys no the rest. If I could get the car up another 2 inches I would be happy. With out buying new springs. I need some help from you old schoolers. Im just a young punk tryen to keep the old hot rod tradition going.

2. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

I think your gonna have to get new springs.

3. Domino

Domino

Do a search on Aerostar springs.

4. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

your gonna need new springs,, and for what its worth, when you cut an old spring it seems like you take the life right out of them and in a couple weeks they are layed out anyway.

5. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Im not tryen to be a cob artist. But just being curious. What about COIL SPRING 2-WAY ADJUSTER & STABILIZER. Would that help me at all or is it a waste of my time????

6. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

new springs, either the aerostars, which may ride too soft, or get a set of 89 s10 v6 ac extended cab springs, cut one coil off before you install.

dropping the front much lower than that requires surgery and a set of boogie blocks.

On mine I cut the spring pocket and raised the bump stops up a couple inches.

7. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

This is how it looked befor I lowerd the front. I should of left it alone.

Attached Files:

8. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

nah,, if you could have left it alone you wouldnt be a hot rodder. cheap lesson and someday will good story for your grandkids.

9. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Lol Thanks man. Atleast your not making me feel like shit about it.

10. H3O

H3O

you know what they say,"if some is good, then more is better, and too much is just right!" or is that for carbs? :D

11. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

how about spacers? how's the coil seats on these? you could cut a few donut shaped pieces of quarter palte if one of the the seats (upper or lower) allows it and then weld'em so that they dont fly off. or is it too much of a hack job?
    i kno it could work on some set up....
    or just do as tin man said, rise the pockets/pump stops, theres no such thing as too low ;)

12. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

I have had a shoebox for 13 years with cut down springs. Looked cool but a bad on the road! I say buy some lowered upprights and dropped
    stearing arms:)!

I just got my second 49 for Cupe, and the first thing is to order some uprights, maybe from Fatman..

Taildragger&fenderless

13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

It's a fact of life (physics) that cut coils get stiffer as they get shorter. Spacers aren't going to do the job IF one wants any compliance from the springs and not just a buckboard ride.

Replacement coils of some sort......either some used stockers (likely cheapest option) or one of the recommended alternatives is the way to go.

Ray

14. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

it may be a fact that the springs get stiffer as they are shortened, but I can tell you that you wont notice the difference.

My car drove and road better with the cut s10 coils than it did with full length stockers.

Replace the springs and move the bumpstops and it will be fine.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  15. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

Thats what I did when I had my 50 Coupe, It worked bitchin' and was way cheaper than buying 50 ford springs. Got them at autozone for about 100 bucks. Good Luck

Drew

16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

if your budget is real low, like your car, search for universal coil spring booster donuts by Mr Gasket and other companies-made from rubber-may help quality of ride

17. 62ironhead

62ironhead

I have a couple of sets of stock springs and some boogie blocks, if you are interested.

18. RDR

RDR

cut your rubber bumpers in half...what we used to do...and save your bucks for dropped uprights if you don't know how to flip them!

19. shainerman

shainerman

RDR for the win. I took my bump stops out all the way. Fuck being a pussy, haha.

otherwise Aerostar coils

20. weez

weez

When I cut the coils on my '51 Ford coupe when I was 16, my neighbor's Dad said "You ruined it! It'll never ride right again!" He's right but who cares.

21. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Don't jerk around - just buy the Aerostar springs & call it a day . They're like 60-65 bucks from AutoZone & fit right in with a 2.5-3" drop . Just right with the 3" drop ya got going out back . They ride nice too ...

22. el shad

el shad

He is 100% correct. It's cheap, easy, and will ride just fine.

23. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Whatever you do, DON'T cut the coils with a torch, it takes the temper out of the spring. Remove the spring and cut a coil with a chop saw before you put them back in.

24. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Is there a specific aerostar year/model/equipment combo that is best for this? I find it unlikely that all Aerostar springs are the same.

Ray

25. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Rathbone likes this.
  26. Domino

Domino

Make sure you get the 2 wheel drive springs. The 4 wheel drive ones are different.

27. hammeredrods

hammeredrods

i dropped my val on to the bump stops it rode ok till i hit a bump ,damn thing near put my back out so many times ,but goddamn it looked cool. shell out for some new lowered springs they will be worth every cent

28. Domino

Domino

29. id replace the springs. those spacers are just plain dangerous. i cut the front springs in my O/T driver (one coil), its a little low but it still rides ok . if i ever cut springs i always cut with a grinder, never an oxy and never more than one coil or the sring rates get all messed up but new springs will always be the better option

30. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

ahah! this is the right filosophy!
    All comfort was sacrificed in favour of style. :cool:

Oh and yes, choppin the bumpstops do the trick too, before i knew how to weld or how to do major mods after cuttin the coils i chopped the bumpstops, it rode great for sum time, but i chopped the coils in half, so after a month of drivin it daily the coils collapsed and got back on the bumpstops! LOL...you live you learn.