Register now to get rid of these ads!

Carpet: molded or cut & sewn?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cool57, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Ordering new rugs for my '57 Ford. Original was cut and sewn loop.
    I will use the loop in an original color, but molded is offered now for the same price. Are there any advantages/disadvantages of one over the other? Thanks.

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I like molded. or is that moulded?

I had cut and sewn in my old car, and it got all bunched up and shitty after a while. maybe it was just a cheap carpet.

3. Moulded reminds me of mould; the green fuzzy stuff you don't want on carpet:D

4. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

Go with the molded even if it cost more.. cut and sewn will move around if you don't use an adhesive

5. punisher7

punisher7

I have only used the molded carpet. Just had to trim here and there and make sure to let it sit out in a warm environment for a couple days before you install it. I just had it sit out in the spare bedroom.

6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Alright not to hijack the thread but where can one look for a Molded Carpet...for say a '35 Ford?

I think going with the molded is going to be your best bet especially with how complex the floors are in the 50's. If it was a Model A I wouldn't worry so much but with the car you're doing you want it to sit right. For the most part the '35 is flat except for the trans tunnel and a kickup right under the seat so I could get away with a flat one but I think if I could find something premade I might go that option.

7. Thanks guys, molded it is!

8. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

If I were doing a pre-60's correct restoration I'd go with "Cut & Sewn" because that is basically how it was done. The technology wasnt available to form the carpet to match all the humps, bumps and valleys found in a car's interior. But aside from that type of project I'd definitely do the "Molded". Of course, if you like seeing random stitching and threads popping out of the carpet and you have kids that like tugging on such, "Cut & Sewn" can be entertaining.:) * I have a Camarillo Brillo, so I know what I'm talking about.

9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

10. goose-em

goose-em
    from Louisiana

At 16 I cut and sewed my own carpet for my 56 chev 210. Used 10 pound fishing line for thread and that carpet looked good when it was done.

I would do the cut and sew, just my .02

11. Topper

Topper

Unless you have a lot of time and some experience in cutting and fitting carpet. I would go with molded.

12. punisher7

punisher7

http://www.streetperformance.com/auto/1935-ford-model-48-deluxe/carpet-kit/60588-3410vc/

This link has a molded carpet for a 35 Ford.