Register now to get rid of these ads!

The DO NOT TOUCH!!! Guy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by felix37, Apr 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcia

Marcia

Well, my husband made me take it out of the window when I got in the car!!

2. tcb-1

tcb-1

we have a winner....

3. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Well, what would you think if I told you that when I was member of the Maine Antique Tractor Club, we had people put Do Not Touch signs on their tractors ....on farm tractors ...can you believe it. Once I saw a Dad ask the owner of one of these fancy green tractors if he could let his little boy sit on the tractor seat while the Dad took a picture. The tractor owner flat ot refused. I let the boy sit on my Farmall for all the pictures he wanted then later that day outpulled the sh-- out of that JD.

4. AllenK

AllenK

My truck is nothing special now,but when the paint/resto job was new it was fairly nice. It seems like my truck was always the one people showed no respect towards. I've had an old lady put her purse down on the hood and look through it,and at the same show some kid took his arm and wiped all the rain beads with his sleeve. It always seemed like everyone wanted to lean on it,and or put their bootheel on my new chrome bumpers.

Yeah,it's just a vehicle but I flipped a lot of burgers,cut a lot of grass,and hauled hay to fix it up. Oh,and everyone is an expert car show judge too. I still enjoy car shows,but now I just go and watch.

5. felix37

felix37

Acadian_carguy Good example! That is why I started the thread! It's not everyone with DNT signs on their cars! It's that small percentage of ass holes who blow a gasket when a three year old touches a car! Those are the Dinks that give the rest of us the image of being a bunch of annal ass holes! This is the same ass that thinks his car is the reason there is a car show! and if he doesn't win 1st place He's at the registration table demanding to see the judge sheets.weather It's bikes,tractors,cars,every show or club has one of these characters

6. silentpoet

silentpoet
    from NWA

I would respond to the signs in a mature fashion. I would bring my finger to within 1/16th of an inch of the surface and repeatedly say "I'm not touching it."

7. Shadetree

Shadetree
    from Va USA

To me this post above is how I feel and what I do with my car!!
    Work On It, Ride it, Enjoy it, and if I my car can bring a smile, on a little kids face and maybe plant a seed for the next generation of car hobbyist, then I am all for it.

I know there are good arguments on both sides, and extreme case also. There is a big difference between being a melicous ahole and just a curious kid!!

But even if I had the money (which I don't) to "buy/build" some the cars you guys have, with your 5to10 grand paint, I wouldn't want it, because I want to enjoy my ride, and not be worrying about every nick and scratch all the time.

I do go to the occasional show, but I don't particularly like shows very much.
    Because I have Built my car Myself with what I could afford and I really don't need anybody's approval of it. And basically don't care what anybody thinks about it ether.
    I don't need or want to be patted on the head, and told "good Job" for me to enjoy my RIDE!!
    But when I do go, I want people (especially kids) to enjoy it {I didn't say abuse it} as much as I do.

And as far as you guys comparing touching your cars with touching your wives and girlfriends goes...
    I like my car...But I Love my Wife...So there is no comparing the two!!

Hence My signature!!
    Matthew 6:19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:
    20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:
    21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  8. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

You know, I really feel like starting a "GOLDCHAINERS" car club, with plaques and T-shirts for those of us who feel this way.The irony would be superb. Any takers?
    Paul

9. Greezeball

Greezeball

Paul I'm in. The plaques got to be brass so we can polish them up to look gold ha ha.

10. mow too much

mow too much

This is the way I was raised...................if its not yours keep your hands off, pretty simple thing, but not everybody was raised right.
    I have never had a sign but I have had 3 kids with there dad next to them standing on my painted running boards at the parts house, I told him that was the first time anybody had stood on them, he looked at me like I was stupid.

11. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

I'm actually serious about this. A car club for people who take pride in their vehicles around the world, flipping the bird to anyone who looks down with inverted snobbery on anyone who is willing to spend money, maybe can't do the work on their cars themselves, whether through issues with time, health, lack of skills etc. If anyone out there is interested, pass the idea on to any like-minded people and PM me. If I get enough replies I'll post up a thread. Traditionally influenced cars only.
    Paul (GOLDCHAINERS CC?)

12. Graystoke

Graystoke

13. mustang552

mustang552
    BANNED

Few people have any idea what it takes to make a show car(I have done 3 All-Ford show winners), so yeh, put a sign to tell the bumb-asses DO NOT TOUCH!!!. Have fun,,, Henry

14. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Nope. It's his deal. And I see them that are driven in then the signs are put on. I have to agree with the others that said people today have no manners. They park their fat asses on your car while the rivets on their jeans mark up the paint. They'll throw just about anything they want inside like it's a trash can. I usually park my car with the hood closed, I've had people take it upon themselves to open the hood. Personally I believe there are a whole bunch out there that just need a good ass whooping every now and then. So I forgive the guys that have the signs I understand, maybe they just don't want to catch a charge when some idiot does something stupid.

15. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

I was at a cruse night, When a 300+ lbs guy sat on my front fender. His weight broke the grill.

16. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

I'd just like to add that I'm at a loss for words. because you brought your car to a show to put on display to the public.... then suddenly it's ok in everyone's minds here for the general public to climb right in and have at their way with your vehicle and run their hands over it, etc.

For those of you who have vehicles that people can really do no harm to....i think it's great that you just let people climb on in and have at it. I too, think its great for people to get into the whole thing. But since when did it become "wrong" for those of us to want to protect our investments from those wandering hands at shows. Why? just because we have a nice paint job and a well cared for and preserved car v. your rust bucket full of dents "ratty" looking vehicle. I mean, really....is this what it comes down to? hell, if i had a vehicle that couldnt have any damage done to it, i too would alllow people to climb in.

Unfortunately im a stickler for preserving a car from returning to mother earth and we take great pride in that and its a labor of love for sure. so why in the world and i being "called names" and having fingers pointed at me for wanting to preserve the hard work and dedication it took to get the car to that point.

I have no problem letting people get in and talk about the car and enjoy it so long as they ASK. what every happened to asking and being polite...not just helping yourself to something that isn't yours?? The signs hanging on trucks saying "PLEASE TOUCH THIS TRUCK" further enables people to do the same to everyone else's vehicles on display that day.

Those of you who are claiming "oh its just a car"...maybe you haven't had anything worth getting upset over at a car show...or at a resturaunt, etc. it happens anywhere you drive the damn car. Once you have a nice paint job that you spent hundreds upon thousands for in the entire process...and some disrespectful idiot defaces it....then you tell me you wouldnt be slightly pissed off.

17. 31fordV860

31fordV860

Buy a Trailer, build a Glass Box. Tow it to Shows. Get your friends to help Place Glass Box over Car. Problem Solved...

18. Dyna

Dyna
    from London

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> ;) if my kids started to touch around with another guys or girls car they would be dipped in the pond, and that is the last thing they want since it's full of half hatched frog eggs and tadpoles. Trust me one dip in that one and they don&#8217;t do s&#8230;t unless they know they are allowed. Problem is that people don&#8217;t understand property rights and they don&#8217;t discipline there kids as they used to do..

Dyna..

PS: You should never this but you are supposed to look after your kid and something small and unpleasant but not harmful is a perfectly fine way to make them understand. The big one, did something stupid about five years ago and it resulted in a dip, and now all we need to do is to ask if he wants to be dipped and he falls in line..

19. Dyna

Dyna
    from London

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> Heck I get more irritated when you park on the other side of the mall miles from any car and when you come out then it&#8217;s still some idiot parking next to you, leaving his or her business card in from of a door ding or when people are using the shopping carts as freaking battering rams causing massive damage while walking/driving away as if nothing happened.

Cheers Dyna

20. 31fordV860

31fordV860

I'm firing the pool guy, and buying frogs.....

21. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

This is what happens when they DO touch!

Several years ago at a local rod run a punk kid who was a bit tipsy from booze approached my friends custom painted pick-up. After a lap around the truck the punk mouthed off about the paint job and then threw his drink across the louvered hood. My friend hit the punk so hard it broke his jaw and knocked out all his front teeth. Of course the punk had my friend arrested.

In court after many witnesses to the incident testified for my friend, the judge told the punk (who's jaw was wired shut and missing a lot of teeth) he should not be picking on older guys and dismissed the case.

22. woodywagon1965r

woodywagon1965r

Tie em to the car and drag them

23. Racewriter

Racewriter

I wanna be a charter member.

24. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

If people had respect these days, they wouldn't need the "do not touch" signs.

People are offended that people put up signs like this, and then it all starts...

25. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

John, Please contact me on those hub caps...

26. FourtyOneFord

FourtyOneFord

:cool: seems like a pretty common theme here so I'll ask.
    Is it not ok to stand on the running boards?

I stand on mine, if you can't stand on yours maybe you need to fixem.

27. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I think you may have missed his point..they were "fixed"..so much so and so nice, that they were PAINTED..and the kids were standing on them..;)

normally guys that run painted running boards with no rubber tread on them, are not into using them for the purpose of a running board, rather for the clean look

28. Perfectly said - I couldn't agree more.

Steve

29. I have been reading this thread from post one. I have to say that you havent heard one guy who allows people to touch his car get bashed, but you see tons of posts about people who do not want people touching their car.

It comes down to one thing, It is not your car. If people don't want others touching or sitting in their car then leave it be. They don't tell you how to own your car don't tell them how to own theirs.

I am building a my 53 Plymouth and I plan on spending a good chunk of change on it, I am not rich, I don't have a portfolio, nor do I have a rich uncle. I well be spending hard earned cash on my car. When it is done I plan on driving it everywhere I want to and I do not want anyone touching or sitting in it either. Sure if a little kid wants to I will possibly allow it, but if someone was acting like it was theirs I would get a bit ticked off.

Some of you stand high on your soap box and yell " I am the guy who brings people into this hobby by allowing them to use my car as a jungle gym". Last I knew this hobby wasn't about teaching people to have a lack of respect for other peoples property.

When I was growing up my father took pride in his lawn and gardens. We had one of the best landscaped houses on the block. Every once in awhile he would catch some letting their dog shit on the lawn and leave it there. He would go outside and ask the person if they would like it if he went to their house and shit on their lawn. One guy even came back and purposely let his dog shit on the lawn again which caused my dad to pick the shit up and throw it at the guys back as he was walking away. My dad spent countless hours, money and sweat getting his property to the way he wanted it. He didn't deserve to have it ruined by others. Same goes for people who do the same with their car.

I love the saying, "It is just a car". Really? Is that how you are with all your other things you own? Is it just a house? Is it just your spouse? Is it just your dog? How would you like it if someone egged your house? Spray painted your fence? Ripped up your garden?

Just because some of us take pride in our rides and would prefer no one else touch them but us, it doesn't make us assholes.

I have an idea...respect other peoples property. I am sure your parents raised you better and if they didn't, well then you had crappy parents.

30. I don't even look at people's cars. Way I figure it, with some of the things I've seen, you wouldn't want me dirtying up your car with my eyeballs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.