Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 1950 Mercury Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jville_hot_skater, Apr 18, 2011.

1. jville_hot_skater

jville_hot_skater
    from jville

My father gave me this car...he had it nearly 15 years...its been sitting in the garage for years.
    I finally took some pics.
    im currently rebuilding the front end,
    all new bushings, bearings, balljoints.
    its a 1973 camaro front end.
    i also pick up a great deal on a 1968 camaro inline 6 running.
    this car hasnt had an engine in it for nearly over 2 decades.
    ...il try to post more pictures as i continue.
    im no professional, im only 22 yrs old but im really not trying to build a custom...just trying to build what i want.

Attached Files:

2. Chevy 6 in a 50 Merc , please don't do it.

3. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

AWESOME!! do what you want with it. its your car. running a six is different for sure. if thats what you have or it was a god deal. then go for it.

4. smarg

smarg

Doesn't look like he got to the transmission tunnel or anything yet.

Would I do the inline 6? No, but do what you want.

The chop looks sweet!

5. Before this thread becomes all about your powerplant first let me say the chop looks great from here and it's very cool that this was given to you by your dad. Tons of potential from what I can see.

That being said are you tossing in this Chev 6 because you WANT a chopped merc with a Chev 6, or because as you put it "it was a good deal".

Take this with all courtesy but a car like this is past the point of nickle and diming just to get it on the road. Just my opinion but you got an icon in your garage there and it deserves to be done right. If that engine is what you want just to be different than ok go for it, but if you're putting it in just because it's a good deal and convenient I would really consider saving the time/money for something that at least fits the style of the car more. Just an opinion.

6. DeadFast 33

DeadFast 33
    from Santa Cruz

well said!!!

FLiP

7. jville_hot_skater

jville_hot_skater
    from jville

geez guys, i thought il get more love for a inline 6
    there traditional engines....chevy was built up from there inline 6...(6 standing up is stronger then 8 falling down.)

but yes...i got then inline 6 because it was a good deal...and i love these little engines.
    there decent, vary reliable, cheap is build, way lighter then the original v8 and stronger too
    ive seen so many mercury with v8's out there thats its just played out to me.
    i really just want a low and slow car.
    driving a beauty like this...i dont know why anyone would want to be in a hurry to get where their going.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  8. jville_hot_skater

jville_hot_skater
    from jville

if a inline 6 and a v8 where both next to eachother in a hot rod...the inline 6 would definitely grab more attention the the dime a dozen v8.

9. I was wondering if you would post up a build thread, I've followed some of your ads in the classifieds.

I've had a few inline 6 1968 Chevy's in the past. Good luck and thanks for sharing.

10. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Good luck with your Merc build. Keep the pix coming!

11. 19Fordy

19Fordy

You are correct. If two 1950 Mercs were parked side by side - one with an inline Chevy 6 and the other with a stock V-8 - the Merc with the in line six would definitely grab more attention than the V-8 Merc because folks folks would be looking and asking, "Why the hell did someone ruin a good Merc by doing that." It would be like putting a flathead Ford V-8 in a
    nice '55 Chevy. What did your dad plan to run?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011

12. Unfortunately it's the same kind of attention that guys get from girls when they're wearing socks with sandals.

Give it hell brother because I'm sure you'll be getting plenty of it.

13. jville_hot_skater

jville_hot_skater
    from jville

well the inline 6 i have is pushing out more horse power then the stock flathead v8
    replacing a 55 chevy's 265 with a flathead is non-sense......since your losing hp and adding weight.

the swap im doing, is adding more hp and cutting the weight as compared to the stock flathead

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  14. jville_hot_skater

jville_hot_skater
    from jville

15. Should be fun, but at that power level you might need to pull over so city buses can pass you. :)

I would the ones in my '68 Chevelle or '68 Camaro put either car somewhere in the high 16's to low 17's in the 1/4.

Also keep in mind that most 6'ers are coupled with gears, like a 4.11 or something. Or a 3.xx and then the car is great on the highway but a pooch from a light.

16. jville_hot_skater

jville_hot_skater
    from jville

like a said...i wouldnt want to be in a hurry to get where i want to go while driving this.

17. Twisted6

Twisted6

Nice Build you have going there.You don't have to please anyone but yourself.And that is what most all of do.It's not what other want,we all built or rides to what we want. Not what others think we should build.Besides it's our money & pride going into it not theirs.
    Like i said NICE.

18. jville_hot_skater

jville_hot_skater
    from jville

thanks twisted6

im not changing my mind on my engine choice... like i said, i love they way a inline 6 looks and sounds..there great reliable engines.
    the car is looking better and better they way im building it i think.
    i patched up the rear corner panels...tacked in new rocker panels.

im just a beginner in welding, but im really proud of myself so far.

19. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

I like the idea of being different, not like every "cookie cutter" Merc out there. However, remember this...you still gotta drive the car when you get it running! Now, I get that it need not be race car fast, but that's a LOT of weight to pull with the little 230..... Your car, your choice. Nuff' said.

20. jville_hot_skater

jville_hot_skater
    from jville

thanks, i do plan on hopping up the inline 6 a lil bit.
    it already has 307 pistons and 194 high compression head.
    but i want to update the exhaust and intake manifold..and probably a 4 barrel carb....a few odds and ends.
    but thats later down the road when funds arnt much of an issue.
    and its not a 230...its a 250 cu 4.1L
    the same engines that chevy used in there work trucks....these are tough engines...i wouldnt under estimate them.

and im not sure....on the details on the internet...
    but seems like the weight of a 1950 mercury is lighter then the 1968 camaro.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  21. Well,i'm kind of a Merc purist,but I don't really care what you run for a motor. My thoughts are....will it fit in there? Seems like it might be too long.
    I'd say....get it running and enjoy it.
    How about some more pic's of the chop and the rest of the car!!!

22. halfcockedcustoms

halfcockedcustoms

Why make a big deal over the powerplant? Dont customs look better with the hood down anyway? If its runs use it....

23. Twisted6

Twisted6

327 pistons???? or did you mean 307 pistons? Because if you used the 327 pistons and if my brain is right that's a 4in bore now and that makes for some thin cyl.walls.

24. yea know- I got a 79 280z in the back yard.. maybe i'll stick the engine from that in my merc.. hadn't thought of that b4 now

25. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

sounds like a cool build. I like the inline 6, if you need more power down the road there are lots of hot rod goodies to get it flowing. If you really wanted to be different you could add boost. there is a guy on youtube with an el camino, running a 250 I6 with a custom turbo blow threw set up. It looked pretty cool.

But it sounds like you know what you what to do. What is your next step on the Merc?

26. jville_hot_skater

jville_hot_skater
    from jville

yep, my bad.
    next step for me...is to just save up more money to afford a tranny set up and finish up the drivetrain.

27. jville_hot_skater

jville_hot_skater
    from jville

yeaaaa, il get some more pics when i can actually roll this out of the garage....
    im not really a big picture taker nor have the spare time/money to invest in it like i would like...so it might take awhile.

28. Build the Merc the way you want to do it!
    Back in the Day about45 years ago I put a Slant 6 in a 32 Ford Pick-up
    and everybody was getting on my Back with the Push button Trans
    but when it was Done everybody wanted to go for a Ride in it.!
    it was Cool, I also cut the Top off of it made it a Roadster
    Just Do what you Want & Don't listen to any body
    Have Fun thats what Rodding is all about

29. jville_hot_skater

jville_hot_skater
    from jville

its taking a while.
    i just ordered all the complete brake parts for the front (which i was trying to avoid mainly cause it cost a few hundred)..but now i can finally drop down the front end.
    i still need to find a rear end that fits good, and a good ratio...

for those are more interested in the car and not the drivetrain, here is a pic of the chop...not perfect...alot still needs to get smoothed out and some of the welds need a good grinding....but im mainly concentrated on the frame itself so far.

i love the chop on this coupe...but i would trade for a chop 4 door if i had the chance...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  30. 19Fordy

19Fordy

1971-73 Mustang 9 in. rear is exactly the same width as the stock Merc. 61 1/4 in WMS to WMS, but bolt pattern is different. Early Bronco and Ford pick up rears have same bolt pattern as Merc.