Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Larry Watson's Personal Photo Collection

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Rikster, Mar 25, 2011.

1. SOLO

SOLO

Awesome thread! Love the old Pontiac's. Would like to do Watson style car on my 64 Catalina some day. Keep the pictures coming!

2. Rikster

Rikster

Unidentified Corvette with some mild body work getting ready for a Watson paint job at the Artesia Blvd. shop. In the background we can see just a hint of Richard Gonzales 1955 Studebaker which was in the shop for a remake by Bill DeCarr.

[​IMG]

Unidentified 1956 Chevy in two tones of yellow. Pearl below and candy on top...

[​IMG]

3. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

No muff too tuff

jakespeed63 likes this.
  4. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

hahahah.....i just spotted that as well..............:D

5. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Growing up in the UK, I used to see that T-shirt and the Muff Diver one in the back of Custom Car mag but I had no idea what they meant, the one with the vultures that says "Patience My Ass, I'm Gonna Kill Something" went over my head too.

6. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

I always wanted one of those...........and the older i get the more i empathise with the statement..............:eek:

7. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

yeah, i remember one time i was with him when he was flaming a 58 impala at his shop in norco, ca and the owner and his friends wanted to watch him do it. he was just gonna start spraying and he walked over grabbed one of his cigars and lit it up and and started spraying. keep in mine we were in the shop spraying with the doors down and just the back door cracked open to blow the fumes out with some squirrel cage fans. they got the hell out of there real quick and i remember they kept telling me come on this fool is gonna kill you. i just said yeah right larry knows what hes doing.larry just LOL and said thats my boy and kept spraying. after they took off out the door he just said that trick works every time to get rid of them and that i had nothing to worry about. so there we were in a cloud of paint fumes and cigar smoke.

8. Devoted

Devoted
    from DFW Texas

9. 49SUPER6

49SUPER6

With every pic and new story it just confirms that Larry Watson was the man.

10. mikes51

mikes51

I've had a pic of that bike for years, but never knew any of it's history. It's great to learn all this info. The pic I have shows it with the signature tank but with dual carbs and what appears to be all gold metlflake paint. I will post the pic when I find it.

11. johnnyjalopy

johnnyjalopy

did you see the chrome rims 64.99!...dam ill take them..johnny

12. Zed

Zed
    from FRANCE

13. Rikster

Rikster

Some more...

[​IMG]

Larry Watson painted 1949 Chevy Hard Top at an indoor Car Show in the early 1960's. Teal and blue pearls outline and scallops combined with heavy white outlining. Forward rake, scalloped spotlights and white with dark blue tuck&roll interior. Also notice that the car runs wire wheels on the back and some sort of mags (m/t raders?) on the front. I also have some photos of this car running wires all around. Not sure which was first...

[​IMG]

14. That Chevy is too cool!

15. That Chevy is great. Thanks Rik!

16. The Gambler

The Gambler

THANKS for the pics,...great thread Rik.

17. johnnyjalopy

johnnyjalopy

please more of that teal car...johnny

18. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

That Chevy's the bomb, those are most def Raders.

19. What a difference between Larry's work clothes and Ed Roth's.

20. Rikster

Rikster

Look for the teal 1949 Chevy HT in an upcoming issue of Kustoms Illustrated. Not the next issue (#29) since that article is already finished... and Custom Car enthusiasts will most certainly like that! So most likely two more photos of this Teal Chevy will be used in issue #30.

Here are two more photos.

[​IMG]

Larry Watson painted a set of very stylish flames on this 1963 Ford Galaxy. The base color on the car is most likely factory stock, the customer only wanted to have a set of flames added to his car. This old photo suffered some damage of the years, but is sure shows the very nicely shaped flames Larry drew/taped and painted...

Watson's shop... always busy, so many cars to paint. No Customs or Hot Rods in this photo. But some of the many "foreign" cars - Porsche in this case - that Larry painted with one of his fantastic paint jobs...

[​IMG]

21. doozersnh

doozersnh
    from NH

Killer shots, nothing like a fearless painter. Thanks.

22. Lurker McGurk

Lurker McGurk
    BANNED
    from next door

WoW! WoW! WoW! came across this thread,,,I'm floored!

23. Rikster

Rikster

Some more...

Larry Watson painted David Lape's 1963 Buick Riviera in what he called Candy Ink Metalflake on the main body and Candy Purple Cob webbing over a Lavender top. David had to pay $350,- for the whole job in 1966...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Very nice outline/panel paint job on this rather high 1956 Chevy. Dark Sunburst Orange Candy over gold with fine white pinstriped outline. The perfect paint job to make the heavy 1956 Chevy body look just a bit more elegant. The rake/stance - almost drag race like - is a bit to high for my personal taste... but I still like the overall look of this one. This is the only photo of this car in the collection. No info as to who owned it...

[​IMG]

24. That's the "Larry Watson" I love! Simple, loves the lines of the car...Distinct, Clean and Original! Thanks Rik!......Centurion9

25. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

I've been following your posts on FB, Rik, but it's great seeing this thread.
    Thanks for sharing all of this Watson history with us!!:cool:

26. Lurker McGurk

Lurker McGurk
    BANNED
    from next door

Yeah, the '56 is up there,...but the paint application is perfect...Tasteful...!
    That word tasteful and Larry Watson are synonymous.

27. great stuff

thanks

Curt R

28. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Probably one of the coolest pics I've seen on the hamb....
    [​IMG]

29. greenblood

greenblood

That was the best half an hour i've spent on the net, Larry was a god. Some pics I couldn't see though.. I loved his Black Seaweed flamed 57 Buick. True old skool which was cutting edge??? Keep em comin