Register now to get rid of these ads!

The DO NOT TOUCH!!! Guy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by felix37, Apr 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I regularly take a hand full of dollar bills when I go and pay people to set and squirm as long as they want . Wait a minute ,thats the nudie bar , I was mistaken ,never mind!!!

2. jason65

jason65

I don't take my stuff to shows unless it's going to be surrounded by my brothers or greaser friends.

3. There are different types of cars, some are just an old car, some are nice fun drivers, some are rolling works of art, some are a masterpiece, some are involved in fierce competition, some are perfect and belong in museums behind glass. Unless you've owned a rolling masterpiece You Don't know What its lik or the difference.

Spouting off about the guys art should be treated same as a beater or visa versa , obviously comes from someone who hasn't yet owned the other.

Somewhere the common courtesy of " if its not yours don't touch it" that should apply to anything and everywhere has been lost by many of the general public. Especially at car shows. They want to. Feel that perfect black paint because it looks "wet " and a mile deep. They want to feel the heavy flake job to measure the clear it takes. The want to touch the stripes to see if they are really hand painted.

If a person chooses to own or create something out of the ordinary and towards the realm of perfection, they must also be willing to utilize equal and fitting means to keep it that way. They become "out of the ordinary " and "towards the realm of perfection " in their own mind. Forever captive behind the gold chains they have strung.

4. Special Ed

Special Ed

Having an open car with a python interior (don't give me any shit...that's how it came from the factory in 1953), very few people looking at my car can resist touching the seats to see if it has scales. It's Naugahyde so of course it doesn't, but it cracks me up to see so many people react to it. Most ask me first if it's OK, but some just go for it....
    Kids are generally afraid to touch it. Girls are the most curious and touch it very lightly. The majority of guys just look at it and shake their heads...:)

5. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

I think some people mistake car shows for car lots. They think its a test drive or something.

6. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

...and that's why we love them....

7. Brewton

Brewton

I went to a local "festival" car show last year and had to watch my car a little more than I wanted. I usually just park it and don't worry... but, when you have the "general public" around, they don't know car show etiquette. I had to pull a 6 year old kid out of the driver side window of my car(I had the door locked, with the window down), with his mom standing there... she didn't have a clue why I did it.

8. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

are you for real? Maybe its just me and my complete honest respect for someone's car but never in my life would i lay fingers on someone's car i was viewing at a show or elsewhere. It's called respect. the sign is there because the owner would like you to keep your hands off his car. Ifyou had a paint job worth laboring over and came back to your vehicle at a show and had hand prints all over it, scratches, etc....then maybe you'd understand. Many of us didnt spend hours upon hours of perfectly prepping a car for paint, we ddnt spend hundreds and thousands of dollars on paint supplies to have some inconsiderate idiots wreck it at a show.

We bring the cars out to the shows for the general public to see and to converse with fellow car lovers. In doing so; we hope our vehicles get the utmost respect from those viewing them that day.

9. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

I would also like to add that we have no problem letting people climb inside and take a look under the hood so long as they ASK first. remember, its a thing about RESPECT. We have no problem with people respectfully oogling the cars and wanting to know more. we LOVE that! but just pleaaaase dont open the hood without asking, dont open the doors without permission, dont hang in the window over the painted door to get a better look at something or open the trunk. ASK first. is it that hard? i just have a hard time with the people who take it upon themselves to help themselves to your car without asking, or put hand prints all over it. just because its at a public car show doesn't mean its there for you to lay your hands all over

10. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

i took my labor intensive restored farmall tractor to a fair to put on display. unfortunately the fair officals didnt rope it off. Parents were dragging their kids over to climb all over the thing. i sat there in horror and quickly picked the children off my tractor which has a car quality paint job on it. Its not there for your damn kids to play jungle-jim on!!! If your kid wants to sit in the seat and pertend to steer....thats fine...JUST ASK!

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

this useless thread should have a sign that says "do not read"

12. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I don't think any thread that interests people (and this one certainly has) and is somehow related to cars is useless. It's great to get other peoples takes on these things and to get varying opinions. :)

The guys who put signs on their cars and who keep an eye on them at shows aren't doing it for the 99% of spectators who are respectful and who keep a distance. They are doing for the 1% who think they are on a used car lot and can do whatever they want because they paid their admission and the cars are there for their pleasure.

I have a real problem with parents who think their kids are so cute they are entitled to do whatever their little hearts desire. I raised my kids to respect other peoples stuff and I was constantly watching them to make sure they didn't touch or break something they shouldn't be near. And it is not just the kids, lots of adults think they can plop their foot or butts down on someone elses car any time they want.

It's just all about respect for others and their property. We have lost a lot of that in today's society, and unfortunately, we sometimes have to be a jerk and remind someone that they are overstepping their boundries.

Good thread, it's been interesting.:)

Don

13. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Jesus Christ!Some of you people just don't get it, do you? Would you let someone run their hands over your chick's tits because they like the look of them, and want to feel? Or are you going to have to make her wear a "please don't touch" T-shirt.
    Is it "just a car" if you've poured your heart and soul and cold hard cash into it? No, of course it's not. I love the attention that my kart gets, I leave the windows down so people can check out the interior. But it's MY Kustom and when it comes to spectators at car shows there is a line that should not be crossed, and it's completely up to the owner how he ensures that line is not crossed, whether that be a please don't touch sign, constant vigilance or keeping a Doberman inside. When the hell did expecting people to respect your property start making you an ass hole?
    Paul

14. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

In today's candy-ass society, I wouldn't lay a finger on a child....ever.
    But I know where you're coming from...I would have done the same thing 20 years ago, but not today.
    One little kid with an "imagination" or who wants "attention" or some parent who smells a lawsuit...my skin crawls just thinking about what could happen.
    It's a shame that I have to think like this, but I do.

15. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

that's how I got sucked in.

16. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

Car owners are crazy,Period!
    Car owners pay, either lotsa bucks, lotsa time, and/or both.
    Take their prized possesion to a carshow, pay the promoter for the priveledge of parking in their show.
    The spectators, usualy, pay nothing(except for the large shows) for the percieved priveledge of finger printing the owners extension of their personna.
    Put the signs on your ride or dont!
    Makes no difference to John Public and his off spring.

17. mustang552

mustang552
    BANNED

Not tryin to piss anyone off, but I still think cars are meant to DRIVE. On GRAVEL ROADS!!. If you want something to look at, go buy some over-priced shit-heads PAINTING!!

18. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

How about you spend several grand on a paint job... just a regular old paint job... not a candy, or pearl, or metal flake, or lace and panels... and then see how you feel about some idiot with a belt buckle leaning through your open window? Or have their brat grab onto the window opening an pull himself up to look inside the car? Or the door handle and kink the sheet metal?

Or, as has been said, open up the door and climb in and sit in it as though it's theirs?

It's been my experience that the people who bitch about other wanting to protect their stuff and keep it nice, don't have anything nice worth protecting themselves and are jealous.

-Brad

19. Thumper

Thumper

Bingo Brad....you got it ! We had the car at a NMCA event yesterday in the show and even though I was there I wasn't right up on it and my wife was close by at the registration table ( it's her car ) all the people that looked at it were very repectful and it was fun. I guess it all depends where your at.

Everytime I turned around somebody was taking pictures and wanting to talk about it.....which is cool, kinda makes your day because it's a driver and we (wife and I ) built it in our driveway (paint included).:D

20. Anderson

Anderson

whether it's at a show or in a grocery store parking lot, lay a hand on my car you had better be prepared to lose it.

talk about it, ask questions, take pictures, no problem.

21. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

OK, so post a "usefull" one.........

22. Muttley

Muttley

23. Let me know how that works for you.
    Here is my guess :
    Pretty Red and blue lights
    Shiny bracelets
    Tow truck
    Gray bars & orange suit
    Large wooden bench complete with black robe and wooden hammer.
    lots of $3000.00 suits looking at you with their hand out
    Wage garnishment for medical bills
    And an empty garage.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  24. Randy in Oklahoma

Randy in Oklahoma
    from Oklahoma

My ride has a sign attached to the vent window 'THIS IS NOT AN ABANDONED VEHICLE".
    If someone wants to touch it, fine. If it gets scratched I am out another $3.00 can of Krylon primer...if there is not a can rolling around in the bed.

25. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

You don't see the difference between an owner putting wear and tear on their own thing IF THEY WANT, and someone else doing it for them?

Where do you live? I'll throw some rocks at your car to simulate a gravel road for you, since you seem to be okay with that.

-Brad

26. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

X2, my point too..

27. 26 roadster

26 roadster

I have never had a priceless car or a paint job "that" expensive, never had a "DO NOT TOUCH" sign. I drive in the rain and snow, that's got to be worse than a finger print. I probable have more pictures of other people driving my cars than me.

I AM respectful of others cars and my kids grew up knowing that a beating would follow an indiscretion. If you don't look at the ones with those signs they quit hanging around, after all, we do like the attention!

28. Anderson

Anderson

take the whole 10 minutes typing that up bub?

29. No, the phone rang and then I took a piss

30. Thumper

Thumper

roflmao........:d:d

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.