Register now to get rid of these ads!

1958 Suburban with a twist..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dyna, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Dyna

Dyna
    from London

Hi

Updated July 13 with more pics please see mid page 2
    Firstly sorry for not writing an intro, been kind of busy and I think we all know how it is. I’ve mainly been crafting a Jag IRS/IFS to our 58 Burb the last two months, and at the same time writing up an article how to do it that will follow here on the HAMB.

Anyways little bit about my project :), literally hate new cars so when the family expanded and the only alternative would be a newish Mini Van or SUV we just had to do something about it. The solution was to buy a 1958 Suburban and turn that into a car we can have on family excursions.

A 58 Burb is by definition not comfy so it had to be modified, but it’s not a HotRod but more of a tweeked car. A car where you start scratching your head asking is that original or not, like a take on what would be added/changed on a 58 Burb if it was Buick or Oldsmobile building it, plus some bits from some home mechanic in the mid Sixties.

As said it will be built for comfort more than anything else. Hence it has Jag axels out of a late model XJ-S, both mounted in its original attachment points. It's also using the ABS brakes from the JAG which is using an accumulator pump as booster making it all relatively small and easy to mount under the main body just as per original. I've tried to hide all this as well as I can, and you should not easily see it from the engine compartment. (This bit is what the article will cover).

It's going to have a 400+ cubes Chevy small block, giving it loads of torque so it can chase down the AutoBahn eating Beemers, Bimmers and Benzes for breakfast. This is what I’m currently composing since the frame and suspension work is all done now. Well it’s undergoing paint at the moment. Please see this thread http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=580505 if you want to help me with what bits I need. I’m a bit clue less here..

Anyways here is a pic of the Burb when I bought it:
    [​IMG]

Didn’t take too long to get it to this stage:
    [​IMG]

Which was quickly followed by getting it all down to bare metal inside and out:
    [​IMG]

And then into etch primer followed by high build primer. I was pretty lucky with the Burb, CA Burb so minimal amount of rust. There was just a few pinholes in the bottom of doors, and rear quarters. Easy fixes in other words..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then it was time to get it all strait and nice:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then followed some painting :). I settled for golden yellow and white, didn’t want a color combo that everyone else has.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then it was time for doors and fenders to get treated, So back to metal again
    [​IMG]

Followed with some primer:
    [​IMG]

See next post :)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  2. Dyna

Dyna
    from London

Then it was time for all the black stuff, as you probably figured out now it was down to the metal:
    [​IMG]

Then primer and body work, followed by a nice lick of semi gloss factory black..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I had to get around to the small bits that where supposed to get yellow, loads of it, metal first as per usual:

[​IMG]

Then primer and body work, before I finally could paint it:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Really love that black, yellow, white combo.. its going to be so pretty..
    [​IMG]

The contrasting under hood black to the yellow aint to wrong either..
    [​IMG]

I’ve done the doors, fenders too, and will post the pics a bit later today. What I got most irritated of was that I wasn’t 100% satisfied with the body work on the main body. It was simply not strait and there was a bit orange peal that I didn’t like. The qpanel sides over the wheel opening simply bowed slightly inwards. So I later on redid the whole thing, pics to follow.. I bought the Burb in July 2010, and I was done with all body work by the start of Nov. Redoing the body was the killer time wise. I then got my self a XJS as a donor car for the axels, but I got so impressed that I bought a half nice one and did a quick resto. This XJS is now my daily driver :). Started on the frame work in mid January.. and was pretty much finished by mid March (both front and rear). Then it was time for getting all chassis bit ready for paint and plating..

Well well, here is a pic when I’m test mounting the IRS:
    [​IMG]

As you can see the whole rear portion of the frame is new, the article will have drawings how to make the frame rails enabling you to hang a Jag IRS in its original mounts under a 55-59 Taskforce truck, panel or Burb.

I didn’t have the space to lift of the body so made two holes in the floor :).
    [​IMG]

It’s not going to look to bad with the new rear end:

[​IMG]

Although the rims are original XJ6 steel rims in the pic, will be getting some chevy once so the wheel gets further out.

That’s all for now I think

Burbly Dyna

3. dniemi

dniemi

Looking good, I like the colour combo and the jag ifs. I can't wait to see the stance of it.

4. Dyna

Dyna
    from London

Thanks for you kind words, your not alone waiting, we so want her back on terrafirma so we can see how she looks..

Burbly Dyna

5. Welcome from Des Moines, Iowa!

6. pumpman

pumpman

Welcome from Union Pier, MI. Nice work man.

7. jammersspeed

jammersspeed
    from herman mn.

welcome from Herman Mn.

8. Dyna

Dyna
    from London

Thanks guys :). Will try to get the rest of the pics up a bit later today..

Burbly Dyna

9. Dyna

Dyna
    from London

Continue of the story as promised.. It was now onto the doors and fenders.. We are fixing them here.. not much to do really. New door bottoms and a bit of welding in the lower corner of one fender.. This was a pretty nice day during last fall:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What took a lot of time was to redo the body. It was not strait mainly over the wheel openings. It was the same very shallow low above the wheel openings on both side. I think this must been due to pressing issues and I also guess it wasn't that important on a Burb. It's not much at all and you will not notice it unless you start looking very closely. The second thing I wasn't happy with was orange peel. I had called up the paint supplier after I painted the first time, and they had given me the wrong paint mixing ratios with too little reducer resulting that the paint didn't flow well. I should have rectified that my self from experience but sometimes you get stressed. Anyways when getting the new ratios on the small parts the paint flowed very well. So I wanted to repaint the body getting a nice and even flow with a minimum of orange peel.

Here we are fixing the qpanels once again.. I have to say I love my very long AFS sanders. Don't think I would be able to get it strait otherwise.

[​IMG]

Then it was time for paint both body, fenders and doors..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The result was a lot better, and the side was strait at last:
    [​IMG].

The paint flowed well and over all I was happy with the result, a few runns due to low temperature when painting, and being a tired amateur painter :).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Yes we like to watch a movie or two :).

[​IMG]

Earlier in the year we bought our self a 89 Jaguar XJ-S V12 as a donor car for the suspension. It was a mechanically ok car but rotten. What happen was that I got so impressed by the handling and ride quality that we decided to get a good one and have as one of our daily driver. It had a few rust issues and we simply had to make a quick resto of it. Fixing the rust, HVAC, and other small niggly bits.. Here is a few of the rust repairs, fenders first:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bits of the rocker panels and a-pillar
    [​IMG]

The cowl:
    [​IMG]

And behind the wheels
    [​IMG]

We where pretty happy with the end result, its a very comfy car that easily do 150+..
    [​IMG]

10. Dyna

Dyna
    from London

It was early January now and we had to get cracking with the front and rear suspension. We lost 1.5 nearly 2 months on the Jag time we really didn't have. First line of order was to remove the stuff.. In the back it's pretty easy, the cage is just sitting in a few bolts.
    [​IMG]

Plus the normal stuff, brakes, parking brake cabel, drive shaft etc. Front it easy too... one mount in the rear:
    [​IMG]

and one in the front
    [​IMG]

Plus the normal stuff. Just don't forget to take the lower steering joints..
    [​IMG]

Since we intended to hang the axels in there original mount points we cut out both the front and rear frame rails, here is the rear one.

[​IMG]

It's a good idea to take them since they are reinforced inside
    [​IMG]

It came to a bit of measuring in the front:
    [​IMG]

I will provide better docs for all this, so this is just a quickie. Anyways when it was messured in we could make the rear mount:
    [​IMG]

and front mount:
    [​IMG]

You have to cut a little in the front cross member to fit it but it's relatively little amount, likewise you need to make room for the rear upper a-arm bushing by cutting a bit in the frame rails.
    [​IMG]

The Jag has the upper front shock mount on the body and not in the cross member.
    [​IMG]

You need to make a new mount either from the frame or from the Jag cross member, we did the latter. It's not an ideal solution due to the forces affecting the bracket. If this was made a simple upside down L it would flex and there would be a risk of risk of metal fatigue. We try to mitigate this by making it out of a box section cut in half, which will provide reinforced sides.
    [​IMG]

11. Dyna

Dyna
    from London

We now turned our attention to the rear end, it was some measuring here too :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's all about figuring out where the the two mount holes should be relative to the frame rails,
    [​IMG]

When you know that (will write about it in the article), then you can simply scribe it on the frame rail.
    [​IMG]

What is needed now is a pair of new frame rails (I will provide drawings you can print). I've printed out the drawings and glued them to the 3mm sheetmetal so I can make new frame rails out of them.
    [​IMG]

The new frame rails are now combined with the original Jaguar once and the threaded bars are attached to the mounting holes. That way you can align the mouting holes with your scribe marks on the old frame rail.
    [​IMG]

The threaded bars also makes sure you get the exact right distance from the old frame rail. The main problem with the Jag IRS is that it's a lot wider than the Taskforce frame.
    [​IMG]

You can now easily weld it all up. The Jag IRS need a mounting for the radius arm too:
    [​IMG]

The advantage of haning the IRS in the original mounts is that it will self steer (rear wheel steering) when the body is leaning. This due to the flexibility on the bushings. This self steering will stabilize/ self correct the car when it's for example hit by a side wind or you sneezing.. All in all it makes for very relaxed stable high speed driving. (as a side note this is not the kind of behavior you want in a race car, or a car you want to be cornering as it was on rails, then you should not mount it solid in the frame but more about that later).

When the new frame rails are done you can simply cut out the old one. We welded on end plates on the old rails that also are connected to the new rails to give extra stiffness. Notice the cross member just forward and rear of the new rails. It's important that you brace the frame from the twisting forces.

[​IMG]

You can now mount the IRS..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We just got the zinc plated parts back and here is a pic of a few bits..
    [​IMG]

The golden bracket is for the accumulator pump that is providing the boost to the ABS brake system. More about that when we start assembling the frame.Thats all for now folks..

Burbly Dyna

12. king of the mercs

king of the mercs

Welcome from kentucky

13. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

HOLY SHIT! What a killer thread!
    Can a moderator please move this to the regular section?

-Brad

14. Dyna

Dyna
    from London

[FONT=&quot]Time for a little update, the Burb is now back on the ground. Lots has happened since the last time. I left you folks when I had made all the fabrication so first thing I did was to remove rust from frame and suspension parts and then it was time to give it a lick of paint. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][​IMG] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The Burb is built to be driven and not a show car under. Used a brush to be really sure to reach all nocks and crannies, first one light coat of rust neutralizer in order to kill any residual rust thay you might have missed. Then I followed up with two very heavy coats of one component black Hammerite paint. That will still be flexible to self heal from stones bouncing of the frame and other suspension parts. Hammerite is similar to RustBullet black shell and has very good rust preventative properties. I rather have runs but good coverage on a car that is a driver, not that it doesn’t look good but the main priority is rust prevention.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Next it was time for sorting the plated parts, here is all the plated screws for the jaguar parts of the suspension. We didn’t just plate the screws as you might see later. [/FONT]

[​IMG]

[FONT=&quot]Here are for example larger bits we plated too, the restored, parking brake calipers.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][​IMG][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Plating the old bolts is a good way of saving, plated a load of parts and it was all in all just $150. Note: Don’t plate any springs they will break most of the time sice they become brittle. We bought new springs for the parking brake assemblies.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Restored the brakes too, I know it’s cheesy but red was the only caliper paint that had that day. Well it looks pretty nice too I have to say even if it doesn’t make the Burb stop any quicker[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Time to restore and put together the rear axle…[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Looks pretty good when finished[/FONT]

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  15. Dyna

Dyna
    from London

[FONT=&quot]After that it was the front axle [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Before I hanged up the rear axle I undercoated all sheet metal and plywood under the car. I use WaxOyl, a super undercoating with wax mixed in, it never really dries but instead stays little tacky and very waxy. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The frame looks like it’s a Xmas present out of a Disney cartoon ;).[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I wanted to use the ABS system out of the 89 XJS that was the donor car, so I had to adjust the braking bracket that you can buy for std GM brake booster/master cylinder.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Here is the ABS master cylinder and valve body mounted in the modified adapter[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]One bugger with the Jag cylinder is that the rod can’t be adjusted so the rose joint has to be welded in place at the exactly right distance.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Time to get the IRS up under the Burb, I’m pretty happy with it’s looks. The orange Koni looks good even if they are a year old. Robbed another Jag I have of them ;).[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Notice how the parking brake cable is routed the same was as the original truck parking cable. Combining the Jag parking brake cable with the Chevy truck one is very easy as you will soon see.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]As you can see all I needed to do was to make a small extension to an original bracket and the Jag parking brake cable is as made to hook up with the original Chevy one. It’s the zinc clear chromated parts that is from the Chevy. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Here is the master cylinder mounted, you can also see the pulley wheel for the parking brake. [/FONT]

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  16. Dyna

Dyna
    from London

[FONT=&quot]Front view of the parking brake, using the original bits. NOTE: That we turn the bracket on the frame 180 degree so that it doesn’t collide with the upper A arm. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The Jag ABS is using a accumulator as brake booster, found a neat spot on the other side of the frame rail compared where the master is mounted.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Yes there is a load of cables and pipes and most of all cable ties. It will all be tidied up later but there is still heater hoses, and fuel lines, and other bit that needs to go up. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Needed to get things to the chrome guy by now, but there was no point of him getting paid to check if bumper, front and other parts not chrome before were in good enough condition to get chromed now? Hence I stripped it, sanded it, and did a quick and dirty polish to check if they will stand a chrome or need to be repaired or possibly bought new (NOTE: This is not even close to how shiny it needs to be). [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I took the tank down to bare metal too before painting it.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]High time to sort the Chevy parts we plated[/FONT]

17. Dyna

Dyna
    from London

[FONT=&quot]And get the Burb down on the ground. Pretty happy even if it looks a little bit funny with the wrong wheels (the offset is too small) new wheels will come that have the right offset, but this is good enough for the meanwhile.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Wanted to get the doors on to get it looking like a Burb and get some inspiration how it will look when we have finished it.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]First barn door in place[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I color sand and buff the door sides and door jams before hanging the doors it’s pretty hard to get to it otherwise. Yep it’s a bit risky since you can go through the paint but the result is well worth it. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Here we have the two barn doors hanged[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Time to start sand a buffing the roof, here we are half way with the sanding.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Here the polishing is nearly finished[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Here it’s finally finished [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I’m very happy with the result, when I painted the roof I know it wasn’t 100%. I’m too short and can’t properly reach the middle with my gun when I’m balancing on a high platform. That I got it this smooth and shiny made my day.. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Hmm that’s it for now Folks, [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Burbly Dyna[/FONT]

18. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Like a giant model car, isn't it?
    Carry on! It's looking great!

19. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

very cool build,keep us updated

20. nvr2lo

nvr2lo

That's awesome. Wayyyyyyyyy better than a mini van:D

21. Dyna

Dyna
    from London

Thanks guys for all your kind words, I hope to have it on the road (but not finished) by end of June. I can't wait to test drive her.

Cheers Dyna

22. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Man i dig the color, and the work on that truck

that work shop spray booth assembly tent is friggen awesome

23. flynstone

flynstone

wow berry berry nice sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

24. heywacha

heywacha
    from Orange, CA

Waaaay better than a minivan! Welcome and cheers from Orange CA!

25. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Makes me really miss my '57 Burb! That's a beautiful bit of workmanship you've got there!

26. Good job! Looks great! I love those task force 'burbs.

27. mastadon

mastadon

28. Thanks for the Jag tech tips I have a 72xj soon to be striped of it's IFS & IRS

29. onedge

onedge

Like the suburbans and your tent shop spray booth is really nice outfit. Hope to see outside pictures..