Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Oddball Gassers, Altereds and Streetfreaks.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by metalshapes, Jan 10, 2009.

1. thehazguy

thehazguy

Old B/C from Mid West Durachrome slides I won on Ebay

Attached Files:

2. Mac_55

Mac_55

Check out the cut down front bumper on the 56 , first time ive ever seen one done like that and man it looks nice!!

3. 63wickedduce

63wickedduce
    from atwater mn

i heard in the 70's they use to put lights in the wheel wells does anybody have any photos of that

4. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

The idea of an Altered with a VW bug body on top has passed through my mind many times. Would be fun.... Dam, now im thinking about it again!!

5. jammersspeed

jammersspeed
    from herman mn.

great pics guys ! some of the cars are just insane!!!

6. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

I grew up, I mean aged, in Toledo, OH. It was popular to paint the inner fender wells flourescent colors and put black lights in there.

Marty

7. marks73turbota

marks73turbota

There was a guy in my town as I was growing up (WI) that had a new '69 Olds 442. He jacked the car up and aded these crazy spagetti headers, I think JR's??? They ran all over around and under the front of the car requiring the lift. But he placed orange lights around the front frame and painted the headers white. The lights made the headers glow like they were hot, hot ,hot. But he kept getting tickets because WI law makes it illegel to run any colored lights to the front of the car other than yellow and white. Eventually he had to keep them off. Same with wheelwells. As long as you kept them turned off while on the roads, it was OK. Same happened many years later with neon lights on the Ricers. Mark L

8. No pics but they were big in the Northwest and guys also hung them off the rear shock mounts,there was a club in the mid 70s in portland called the twilite express that used to cruise broadway and they would run the freeways at nite,sometimes you would see the at the coast or up in vancouver washington.and they All had matching lites under their cars ...........

9. Search for posts from Algon. If you THINK you have the 'bug', you will DEFINATELY have it by the time you're through his posts! ;)

JK

10. 63wickedduce

63wickedduce
    from atwater mn

what kind of lights did they use

11. 1934coupe

1934coupe

How about a "Modified Sports" .

Pat

Attached Files:

12. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

Man that does look great!! I have never seen something like that....

13. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Might as well post some pics of my 1946 Austin A8 in here. I think it counts as "oddball" as most were later A40's:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Updated picture:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
    exterminator likes this.
  14. Saxxon

Saxxon

Here's a few from back in the day

Attached Files:

15. angry

angry
    from ventura ca

this is my odball

Attached Files:

• 010.jpg
      010.jpg
      File size:
      498.3 KB
      Views:
  16. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

That is for sure a cute Austin.

17. teddyp

teddyp

very cool car i saw it in brooklyn last summer at the rumber,s

18. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Hey Hey Hey !!!!! I won't let you do it I want it all to myself. :p:D
    That is cool looking.

19. marks73turbota

marks73turbota

Thought I'd update my build. '63 Catalina Gasser/Streetfreak.
    Tilted front end.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tubs done.

[​IMG]

frame narrowed.

[​IMG]

Firewall cut out, moved back and welded in place and almost all closed up now.

[​IMG]

And got it rolling enough to get it on a trailer and take it to a Pontiac Heaven Drag and show here in the Phoenix area. And won a Favorite Catalina Plaque.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A shot of the car on the trailer.

[​IMG]

Mark L

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  20. robleticia

robleticia

this thread is awesome!

21. mookandairin

mookandairin

I got to ask, can a gasser have turbos or is that not going to fly w/ the drag community? I have a 60 lark w/ twin turbos and it is inercooled so before I build a straight axle lark I want to know if I could race it in a class or not.

22. Turbos? Umm, I would say ...... NO !!!

23. i dont know about current classes but the hemi honker 65 coronet had twin turbos on it in 65

24. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

25. Saxxon

Saxxon

I don't know... I think Ohio George and the Mallicoat brothers might disagree.

26. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

i'm pretty sure my uncle did that but i was either half asleep or under the influence of something, but i'm pretty sure he did that because i specifically remember him picking me up from a friends house at night and there were definitely lights in the unconventional position(s)/in the wheel/wheel well areas. Very trippy. This was probably 75ish.

i could always ask him, but it's embarrassing (why can't i remember etc.)

So you "heard" right.

27. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

Yep.. :D

That winter, a pivotal moment for the Mallicoats was meeting Bill Edwards, who had stopped at Isky to dyno-test his 233-cid small-block Chevy Bonneville car that was equipped with twin turbochargers. "We were impressed with the power he was making," said Gary, "and we wanted to apply his technology to drag racing. Isky was a big player in this project, along with one of our neighbors, former Top Fuel racer Al Williams, who hand-built the headers and intake manifold needed for the turbos. "

The dyno readings leapt from 580 horsepower with the conventional Roots blower to 720 with the new turbos. "We had worked a lot with Duke Hallock, the chief engineer at Air Research, who supplied the turbos, " said Jerry. "We knew we were on to something after those dyno tests."

With almost no track runs on the new combination, the Mallicoat brothers went to the 1965 Winternationals and ran away from the competition in B/GS class eliminations.

http://www.aagas.net/showthread.php?p=4

28. Gasoline Junkie

Gasoline Junkie

I saw both of you guys there, awesome cars!!

29. I remember a couple "gas" cars running turbos in the 60's. The Mallicoat Bros. Willys might have been one of them

30. it was common in the 70s in the northwest with the cruzin set,they were in the wheel wells and also hung from the rear shock mounts by some clubs so they could be spotted runnin down the hiway together,if I remember the club was called the twilite express............good and bad memories from then....some kinda foggy:rolleyes: