Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

around 30 cars have already registered for the oval

from last year:
    http://s1011.photobucket.com/albums/af233/carl44s/Route 66 Classic 2010/?start=all

2. GREAT SHOTS! CARL

we'll see you there:)

3. wilburshawfan

wilburshawfan
    from Indiana

sdluck not sure. You can contact Denny at Hammer Art at 1 317 698-0570.........

4. MacTexas

MacTexas
    from DFW

I remember watching him race. They used to announce him as the "Mad Russian".

5. metal bender

metal bender
    from texas

He, drove for me a few times, flew in to Eldora the fist time he been there, said the place was scary. He didnt like the Mad Russian handel at all . :rolleyes:

6. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

Yep... only saw him race a few times in Tampa.. I think Bob Mays visits this thread sometimes. I bet he would know all about him.

7. baldtireman

baldtireman

iT'S DEF A cHEETAH!;)

8. TommyA19

TommyA19

Denny,
    The Open Wheel portion of the Vinatage Race Car Meet at Loudon is May 17, 18 & 19 - that's Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

9. Dadburgess

Dadburgess

I believe Johnny Coogan bought a former Gapco car from Rufus in 1974, made it to two races. At the second race (Bloomington, IN) it was broadsided and pretty-well killed the car. Coogan spent the night in the hospital, and Galen Fox and crew helped us load the car for the trip to the hospital.

10. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Who is going to Indy this year, and when are you going.. PM me maybe we can all meet at Union Jacks and head in in a group.. I only go for qualifying, so if your down let me know when... Ryan

11. HAMBers be on the look out....A liquor store was robbed in Cincinnati today...here is the photo of the car and the getaway driver.....ornery looking character.....I hear he is armed and dangerous....with a paint brush....lol
    HG :cool:

[​IMG]

Cartersburg Customs likes this.
  12. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

They'll never take me alive... :p

13. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

TommyA19, Not sure but I will try to make it. Thank You Sir. Denny Z

14. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Harley Gene, That's funny. Denny Z

15. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Irs30, I'm going but won't arrive till the 22nd. Denny Z

16. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Hope you get to run some laps in it at Milw Mile in July.
    I'll be looking for you.

17. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

The rascal couldn't have gotten away with much... no place to put a lot of booty! Besides, how fast could a rickety old thing like that be, anyway?

Har har. Gary

18. gtxrider

gtxrider

Loudon is May 17-22 open wheel cars start on the 17th.

19. Dadburgess

Dadburgess

That's wayback when, but probably C.V. Haschel, and Armin Krueger (Indy Star/API photographer back then). You might check the API photo archives sight. Haschel passed away years ago, but my dad said his son probably had his photos.

20. Thank you guys!

I pick it up that he was an IMCA - temp license USAC driver?

21. Dadburgess

Dadburgess

A few posts back, there was question of a second car. As a nine year old I witnessed what could have the demise of one of those cars and Hurtibise himself. On a flier qualifying run, Dayton Ohio 1964 (I think), he sailed the car over the fence and disappeared into the trees. Gene could probably relate more detail ... Herk and the car were saved by the group of small sapling trees he lit into, and they gently lowered the car to the ground. Only damage to the car was really from the wall.

22. Ebert

Ebert

Josh,

You look like you BELONG in that thing! Awesome! Look forward to seeing you and Geno in Indy...dont forget about that party!!! Eric

23. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

I agree with Ebert. That car and Josh go together.

24. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Old Dawg, I just got back from a morning visit with Tom Malloy.
    One of the cars he's bringing to Fontana is this Novi recreation (former Chuck Fausel Novi recreation by Babineau) that still has the Maserati under the hood. He will also be bringing the Novi Engine purchased at auction last year and will have it on a stand next to this car. the original Novi engine will eventually be installed in the Novi.
    [​IMG]

25. KGB911

KGB911

My name is Dan Ruth and I am the son of Fred Ruth the maker of the Pacemaker 1/4 midget and owner of Trackmaster in North Hollywood California. I thought I would take this opportunity to share some of my pleasant memories of the Mechanical Rabbit Sprint cars. The three cars that have been featured in this thread many times were built in my Dads shop which Don Brown shared. I was a youngster and would go to work with Dad on Saturdays and school vacations and sweep the floors and do tube bending and welding. I watched as Don built these beautiful creations over a couple of years.The roll cages were the biggest difference between the three and I always felt Greg's had the best looking cage.My younger brother Larry went to work for Greg in the 80's as a fabricator and Greg was always very nice to all of us. The racing industry has lost a true pioneer!
    In about 68 or 69 Dad got the nose off Greg's car with the #2 on it and latter built a Track T using that nose. The car would end up on the cover of Street Rodder Magazine in 74. I will try and share some other great memories about what happened in that little shop in North Hollywood.Most of the stuff created by the "Prince of Darkness" will simply amaze you!
    Dan Ruth
    [​IMG]

26. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Welcome to the site Dan, looking forward to your posts. Denny Z

27. KGB911

KGB911

Many of those Toters as you call them were retired Bookmobiles and sometime even Rural Traveling Post Offices. I remember getting school books from ours in LA. I also remember the Infamous 5 time NASCAR weekly series Champion Larry Phillips showing up at Craig Road Speedway in 76 with one. He arrived with a pavement car in the Toter and a dirt car on a trailer and when he blew up the pavement car in Hot Lapping he just put those tires on the dirt car and proceeded to Kick our ASSES! I finished 3rd for that 8th annual Open Comp and the paid us in Silver Dollars! I wish I had them now!
    Dan Ruth
    [​IMG]

28. baldtireman

baldtireman

Man alive-I cannot wait.I'm wetting my pants in anticipation(I think) I love roadsters! John S.

29. Dadburgess

Dadburgess

Also doubt Hoosier having a set of tires that would last 100 laps!

30. Yeh! Carl,
    The Fausel Novi/Maserati has been at the Route 66 Classic many a time; but the sound ain't the same as the V-8 Novi. Tom DOES have the car that is one of the 10 Miller-Ford chassis that has the original Winfield Brothers V-8 in it. They sold the deal to Lou Welch, who renamed the car(s) Novi. I know Tom has run that car. Maybe it doesn't handle well. Maybe I should just call him; and ask him:confused: