Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1933 - 1936 Willys, picture thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by WillysRule, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Weasel

Weasel

I believe this is the same roadster as in the background of the shot above, sporting incorrect 1936 wheels....

[​IMG]

2. Weasel

Weasel

This is just one badass photo, chopped vs. stock....

[​IMG]

3. Weasel

Weasel

Here are some more photos of a late 1936 (1937 steel wheels original to the truck) pickup under restoration....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Weasel

Weasel

And this is the correct bed for 1935/36 Model 77 pickups....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Weasel

Weasel

last one for today - 1935 roadster....

[​IMG]

6. BADGAS

BADGAS
    from AUSTRALIA

I took my Willys for a drive and ran into a few Locusts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. 35willyspickup

35willyspickup
    from Hawaii

'36 I looked at for $6,500 a few years back
    EPSON001.JPG

EPSON002.JPG

EPSON003.JPG

EPSON004.JPG

EPSON005.JPG

EPSON006.JPG

8. CENTURION

CENTURION
    from SEATTLE

Hello:

If I may ask:

1) I know the Cal Hydro Gasser was an all Fiberglass 1933 Willys body.

2) For the most part during the 1965/66 Race season were most of the 1933 Willys Gassers mostly all fiberglass cabs?

3) Was the Poppy Red with white interior 1933 Willys Gasser of K.S. Pittman a Steel or fiberglass cab? Thank You!

9. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

Someone else may want to add to this, but for the most part, the 33 Willys gassers that ran during the 65/66 era were steel cars with fiberglass components, like the nose, doors, deck lid, etc...

Some noteable early all glass cars were the Stone-Woods-Cook Dark Horse 33 Willys (which became the Traveler 33 Willys) and the Cal-Hydro car like you mentioned. I'd have to go back and check the Hot Rod magazine articles, but Don Eisner's Ultimate 33 Willys might have been all glass.

Around 1967 is when the all glass cars started getting more popular. Cars like KS Pittmans chopped top 33, Jack Merkel's lime-gold chopped 33, Eddie Sanzo's chopped top car, and Joe Pirrone's 2nd Boss Hydro car. Later in 68, you had Paul Frost's 33, and on the West Coast, cars like the Ambition 33.

KS Pittman's stock top red 33 Willys with the white interior was a steel car with glass components. Rocky P (BossHydro) posted some pics of it in this thread that show it after the wreck in 1965, and you can see the mangled steel body :(.

I'm sure there were examples I missed, but these are the ones that stand out.
    <!-- / message -->

10. Weasel

Weasel

Yep, you missed out Prock & Howell's F Troop....

11. Eisners "Ultimate" was a steel body, glass components

12. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Near lane would be Don Dunham in the X-Brasher,Cumming car. Later to become Jim Tipper's "Flirtin' With Disaster". We all know what happened to that car.

13. Angliagasser

Angliagasser

Here is an all original stock 36 sedan delivery that a kid owns up here in Washington state.

Attached Files:

14. 33HEMI

33HEMI

15. Gojeep

Gojeep
    from Australia

Just new at this so forgive me for the questions.
    I can see the differences between the 33-34's and the 35-36's. But how do you tell the differences between a 33 and a 34, also a 35 and a 36?

16. jn

jn
    from sweden

good question. i have looked myself for details but cant see that there are some changes. tell us! :)

17. jn

jn
    from sweden

wire wheels 35?

18. Weasel will know...Hey Weasel !!!

19. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

Weasel will know the more subtle differences, but here's a few I know of, as well as points brought up by Weasel in this thread.

33's have the 4 vertical hood side louvers, solid turbo fan-like wheels, and I believe had a swingout windshield and a cowl vent. I'm pretty sure this is true for the sedans, but I could be wrong.

33-36-Coupe comparison.JPG

34's have the 4 narrow horizontal hood side louvers. I think everything else is the same, but Weasel will know.

36pu-34nose.jpg

35's and 36's ofcourse had a completely different grille and front fenders than the earlier cars. I believe the 35's also had wire wheels, and the 36's went back to a wheel like the 33/34, but according to Weasel, had triangular cut-outs between the ribs.

1935WillysStandardCoupeModel77.jpg

Another subtle difference is the 35-36 rear fenders have a little more lip or skirt on the outer edge of the fender. I also learned from Weasel that the bottom trailing edge on the 35-36 fenders runs about parallel to the ground, and the trailing edge of 33-34 rear fenders point slightly downwards.

33-36fender-compare.JPG

I think Weasel also mentioned they got rid of the swingout windshield in 36. I also think they all kept the cowl vent, but I could be wrong. The 35's and 36's may have also gotten rid of the glove box. I think all this is common for coupes and sedans, but there may be some subtle differences.

The 36 sedans have a unique back and spare tire panel. The belt line below the rear quarter windows terminates as it begins to wrap around the back, and the spare tire panel is circular, rather than having the notch cut out at the bottom, like the 33-35 sedans.

33-35&36sedan-compare.JPG

The 36 sedans also have tail lights attached to body, where the other years had tail lights attached to the rear fenders on stanchions.

The pickups and deliveries get a little tricky. Some say 35 and 36 for both, some say only 36 for pickups. I'll let Weasel field this one. One thing I do know is that they share the same roof contour up to rear edge of the door. The roof is a little steeper on the pickups and deliveries, than on the coupes and sedans.

20. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

Hey Paul (33HEMI). Thanks for posting the cool gasser pics. How much longer do we have to wait on your story of Hamberis' visit. I'm looking forward to hearing about it.

21. Gojeep

Gojeep
    from Australia

Thanks for the help. :)

22. 33HEMI

33HEMI

Hope it wont be much longer did a photo shot last weekend they
    took over 650 photos, my friend took this one,

old_iamge_1.jpg

23. G-Willys
    Thanks Willys Rule:
    I think Weasel also mentioned they got rid of the swingout windshield in 36. I also think they all kept the cowl vent, but I could be wrong. The 35's and 36's may have also gotten rid of the glove box. I think all this is common for coupes and sedans, but there may be some subtle differences.

The 36 sedans have a unique back and spare tire panel. The belt line below the rear quarter windows terminates as it begins to wrap around the back, and the spare tire panel is circular, rather than having the notch cut out at the bottom, like the 33-35 sedans.

[​IMG]

The 36 sedans also have tail lights attached to body, where the other years had tail lights attached to the rear fenders on stanchions.
    I am building a '36 sedan, and everything you say here is true on mine.
    Weasel will fill in the more subtle differences. My 40 plus years of Willys experience is with the 37-42 models, and I've climbed around those enough to know their differences, but this is my first early car build...the one thing I do know is "Boy are the early cars small" Here is something I did find out...bought a set of Eaton 'Rod Ride' springs for my '39 coupe, and they are identical to the original rear springs on my '36 sedan...in fact they are now on the '36 instead of the '39.
    g-willys

Attached Files:

24. Angliagasser

Angliagasser

Only 36 did not have a glove box door and the vent in front of the windshield was bigger on a 36 then ones on the 33-5. The spare tire panel on a 33-5 have 4 large holes in it and had a bracket behind it with studs sticking out to hold the spare tire on, where the 36 had no holes and the studs stuck through the body. If I remember right?
    Oh and the out side door handle are the same on a 33-4. The 35-6 door handles are the same but different then the 33-4.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  25. jn

jn
    from sweden

thanks for all info!!

26. Weasel

Weasel

You don't need the Weasel any more! Most of the info on the differences between the various years have been listed here by Willysrule, Gwillys and Angliagasser, except the swing out windshield and glove box were continued on the 1935s. 1936 went to no glove box, bolt in windshield frame and gauges on both sides of the dash. The 1936 windshield frame has fasteners that go through the frame to secure it - these are clearly visible from the outside. The 1936 sedan has a raised moulding or character line around the rear tire recess, but the coupe is the same as the 1933-35 models.

Wire wheesl were standard in the US on 1934 and 1935 models. In Australia they started using wire wheels in 1933, although both the pressed steel artillery wheel (manufactured by Kelsey Hayes) and the wire wheels were offered - The Australian closed cars used a windshield with square corners at the bottom although the rounded US type was also used early in 1933. Aussie closed Model 77s all had suicide doors. The shocks on the Australian cars are heavier duty than the US cars - presumably to conquer the outback. There are way too many differences on the Aussie bodied Willys to list here, but if anybody wants specific info, PM me.

The US commercial vehicles - Panel Delivery and Pickup used 10 leaf rear springs in the US. Late 1936 production US commercials had 1937 type 16" solid wheels with either four or seven vent holes between the centers and the rims.

The frames were the same for 1933 and 1934, but the 1935 frame had a 3" longer extended front spring hanger inserted into the frame horn to support the revised sheet metal. At some stage this was revised - possibly for the 1936 model year and the frame horn itself was extended by 3". The 1936 frame has bolted on running board brackets, not permanent blind rivets as were used from 1933-35.

27. I don't know about the rest of you, but I sure need Weasel's input...I have learned more about the early Willys in the last month than in all the years as a Willys owner, racer, and collector. Thanks for all that knowledge.
    g-willys

28. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

Wow Weasel. Talk about subtle differences. The stuff you named off is downright obscure. Cool stuff.

29. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I know what you mean, I have had many Willys over the years andmore than a few 35-36 sedans and NEVER knew the difference in the spare tire area and belt line area. Thanks

Pat

30. ssaza25

ssaza25
    from arizona

A few other small items which were different---The 2 small round pieces that go next to the grill on 35-36 are different,As I recall the 35 were 2 piece while the 36 was one piece.My 36 sedan and delievry has one piece horn grills.The cowl vents are different sizes as well. 36 has an optional[?] ash tray .I have a 36 with an ash tray while my 36 sedan delievry has what you might call an ash tray delete plate.Not sure about bumbers,as I recall there was a difference.The curl at each end of the bumbers were rolled different. I have examples of both. Same with the bumber guards.But I don't know what would be correct. I have been to believe that there was a difference on where they were built??Maybe Weasel can answer this.