Register now to get rid of these ads!

Header guards for plug wires?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dannyego, Apr 13, 2011.

1. dannyego

dannyego

I have some Hedman block huggers on my 56 and keep burning up plug wires. I have them loomed but a couple are still to close to the headers. Any recommendations?

2. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

If your plug wires are contacting the headers it should be easy enough to reroute them using a different attachment method (loom), or some type of insulation.

If the plug boots are the problem then insulation is about the only option.

There are many different insulators available (try BING or Google).

Click here: softys.ca: Spark Plug Wire & Boot Protectors

Hope this helps.

3. fleetside66

fleetside66

I used some left over header wrap at that crucial spot where the wires pass by the header. I only bundled 3 of the 4 wires (on each side)...the fourth wire is not close, so I excluded it from the bundle. I used some of that aluminum tape that you can get at Home Depot to secure the header wrap. So far, it has stayed in place & has not shown any signs of deterioration or unraveling.

4. Dump them and either buy a set of real headers or stock manifolds. If you got a five six you should have plenty of room for the real deal.

5. squirrel

squirrel

try running the plug wires down low, like they did with the rams horn manifolds. If you have an hei you can use Vette plug wires from the late 70s, they used HEI and rams horns.

You'll want to find all the factory wire retainer clips, the vette resto places should have them.

6. dannyego

dannyego

I have zero room for real headers (not the original motor or motor placement).

7. dannyego

dannyego

I'm switching over to hei, so I will definitely look into that, thanks

8. Not trying to be offensive but I can't think if many engines that you could put in a '56 Chebby that block huggers would be a requirement. Never the less Squirrel's suggestion is probably your best bet. With the hedman's you may have to run Accell Short plugs to keep from burning the insulator.

9. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

shorter plugs as they suggest are a big help-just did it on a 40 woody with a 327 and block huggers

10. dannyego

dannyego

Plenty of room, other than clearing the steering knuckle on the driver.

11. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I run mine underneath and come up to the plugs. A boot over the plug wire at the plug, and a sleeve anywhere they're close should work, and if you come from underneath the sleeves wont be easily seen.

12. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Care to elaborate? Big block? Mopar? Acme Rocket?

13. Put a 440 in one in about '78 ran it offest about 2" just like a Big Block MOPAR set the rocker covers against the back of the dash. No exhaust problems.

That doesn't answer the question. Dannyego wants to run the block huggers and not burn up his plug wires. There probably isn't enough room to do it but bending up some sheet metal shields like GM used with stock manifolds may also help along with the other suggestions. If there is room doing so out of stainles would even look nice. .030 soft stainless is real easy to work with.