Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "Let the madness begin" - Geemann's 37 Truck Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by geemann51, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Gonna be a cool lookin' truck, thanks for postin' up pics. Good times in the shop....

2. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

Looking great man! Lots of progress!

3. What a cool week!:) Nothing like working on the truck with friends.

Makes me want to get out and work on the 36 with a little more effort!:D

4. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Geeman, Congrats on the progress on your wife's new Hot Rod. I have a friend who is also doing a '37 Ford truck. His is different because it was a Phone Company truck when it was new. The bed is enclosed with doors to access the different storage areas. The only down side to thid bed/box is the weight. It does weigh a few extra pounds. We are mockiing it up to start collecting the parts he still needs.

Dave

5. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

my Dad has had a mint 35 pickup (where my screen name came from) in his possession for 9 years now. The frame is done... the flatty is rebuilt. All he needs to do is put it together, wire it, and do the interior. Its seriously mint. There was a rust spot the size of a dime on the drivers door. That's it.

And he's just letting it sit...

So once my divorce is over and I put my heart back together... I'll get him to put it back together.

I've always been fond of the 35 with the 36 passenger car grille... just sayin

LOVE your progress!

6. Javier

Javier
    1. Strugglers C.C.

Looking good...guess I owe you some Coors Lights:)

7. geemann51

geemann51

Sounds pretty rightgeous Dave - Let me know if y'al need parts, I'm sure to have some extras...

Hang in there Bro, divorces suck (been there, done that, bought a shirt) sounds like a calculate disctraction is in order...

You owe me nothing Javier, I just need to stock the fridge with Lonestar whenever you come out...

8. JeffCTN

JeffCTN

What springs/struts are you using on the mii setup?
    What m/c and booster are you using?
    What slave cylinder are you using?

These are things we are having to decide right now with my dad's 36.

9. geemann51

geemann51

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  10. 41 Dave

41 Dave

geeman, Mike's '37 is also equipped with a Mustang II crossmember. Problem here is that all he got in the deal was the crossmember. I priced out all new parts (no strut rods . . ) and had over $1100. May have hime talked into getting some parts at ecology. Would like to see him use coilovers. To be continued . . .
    As to parts, will you be not using the '37 grille shell ? Mike's is kind of rough.

Dave

11. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

You guys rocked and rolled. I remember drinking a couple of beers out side of the garage and looking at the pile of parts on the ground!
    A lot happened the following week.

Thanks for the great dinner!
    Great hanging out with all you guys.

Wil

12. geemann51

geemann51

I'm probably going to sell of the stock MII stuff if your interested. Stock A arms modified for the coilovers, but you would still need to rubn a strut. As far as teh grille, I actualy swapped the 36 one I had for a 37 so I just have the one I'm going to use. There are a couple in the classifieds and ebay has a couply currently listed too....

We were fabrication ninjas Wil, actually Justin was. Pretty pleased witht he progress. I'm glad you stopped by, we had a great a time. Sorry I petered out so early, Round Up wooped my butt... Let me nkow when your back in town and we'll do it again....

13. heywacha

heywacha
    from Orange, CA

Quote-
    A very special THANK YOU to Justin B for giving up a week of his time and sharing his talents. It’s always a blast to hang out with him and I learned a lot working alongside of him.

Good to have friends like that huh? Lucky guy! Good luck on your truck!

14. geemann51

geemann51

Yes - I'm very blessed to have such good friends, thank you...

15. Justin B

Justin B

and i'm grateful to call you a friend as well, after 4 or 5 years putting up with me during the roundup the least i could do is help a little on the truck. good times, now that the roundup is a week later i think we'll have a few more guys head out to the next one. it's a ways off but i think a good roadtrip is in order.

16. Special Ed

Special Ed

Good on you, Justin....:)

17. geemann51

geemann51

See you Sunday, looking forward to going out to Bucks. I'll call you tommorow...

18. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

shit man lookin really nice. Justin is a Mad man. Wish i were there to soak up some of that talent that he has. Damn. cant wait to hear that thing fire off and go for a ride.

missing you guys!!!

19. Coming along nicely. Wish it were done, know your wife's going crazy waiting. Looks like it's going to be killer, I'm watching.

20. elturo

elturo
    from So. Okla

Knowing you and your attention to detail this is going to be one sweet truck.
    How cool to have J.B there to lend you a hand.

Git er done so we can cruise it !

21. geemann51

geemann51

Where has the time gone? Well let me tell ya. Shortly after I posted the progress pics, I accepted a transfer back to San Diego with my employer. We weren’t looking to leave Austin, but when a bunny falls in your lap, you pet it, right? That didn’t come out right but you get the point. So after another 1500 mile move, selling our Austin home in the height of the real estate debacle, living in a rental for a year where nothing car related got done, to finally purchasing a fixer upper back in our home town of La Mesa, and investing a bunch of cash and time to get it livable, we realized we still had this truck sitting in the driveway. What to do; we thought about selling it but if I have any skill set at all when it come to putting these things together, all I really bring to the table is vision, tenacity, and persistence, plus with all this home repair, we need a truck so our decision was made. Justin B is still a good pal, not to mention one of the most down to earth, egoless builders that I know, so of course he got the gig. Without further ado, it is my pleasure to jump start the build thread again, enjoy…

The move west was a blur, Fuzzbox my 51 coupe was shipped but we opted to drag the 37 back on our own, this was early morning, halfway back to So Cal in Las Cruces NM.
    [​IMG]
    Not sure if I mentioned it, but Shawna named her pick up, “Jerry Jeff” as a tribute to the great Jerry Jeff Walker (yeah we’re into that stuff), here he sits at our POS rental as we wait, and wait, and wait….
    [​IMG]
    …and with his sister, FUZZBOX.
    [​IMG]
    Sadly, for the truck was used for storage, albeit our spare hot rod parts, but that’s no way to treat an old Ford.
    [​IMG]
    The day of reckoning, off to Justin B’s garage of Mystery
    [​IMG]
    The whole theme has always been an early 60s’ drag inspired truck, now with Americans and Hurst cheater slicks
    [​IMG]
    Half the fun in getting this build on track is hanging with Justin, after a quick visit to set the column height, we were off in his 34 Phaeton for some Mexican food, and the girls enjoyed some open car time…
    [​IMG]
    My little family mugging in front of the 34
    [​IMG]
    After a little fussing’, Justin has the ride height and stance nailed down
    [​IMG]
    Column is in and the truck can now be steered!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Starting to look like something
    [​IMG]
    Ansen Equipped! Now Shawna is ready for the strip..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Well there you have it; you’re officially briefed and up to speed. The next step is brakes, fuel, and exhaust then we’ll be breaking it down to sandblast and powder coat the frame. Plans are to reveal it at GNRS, more to come….

22. FoxSpeed

FoxSpeed
    from NorCal

Nice work.I like your preserverance. Cool

23. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

good potential there

24. jerry

jerry

Nice to have an update! Good to see Jimmy's phaeton on the road too!

jerry

25. geemann51

geemann51

Jimmy, now that's some funny shit.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. hotrod13

hotrod13
    from Austin, TX

Hey brother... this reminds me of an afternoon in your TX garage planning the build after a few soda pops at Riley's... keep the updates coming!

27. geemann51

geemann51

You got it Rod. Those strategy sessions might be gone but not forgotten. Miss you guys.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. Cool! I have a similar vision for the '36 I've got squirreled away! Justin's tub is the business!

29. el spanky72

el spanky72
    from ATX

Really happy to see the progress on the truck brother, was good seeing you when you were in town. Looking forward to having you at our show and catching up at GNRS, gonna be a good time...

30. geemann51

geemann51

Agreed, its sooo much fun.

You got it Sean! GNRS is the goal, now if I can only get a vintage car trailer, I'd tow the 51 in with it :)