Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why is cruising dead???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zombie 51, Jan 24, 2011.

1. smarg

smarg

One word. Canada.. :D

2. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Im 24. I love this thread because it takes me back to the time I missed. Just to let you guys know. I cruze my car alone every nite. Dosent stop me. Seeing one out there is better then not seeing any.:D Who ever dosent like this thread can SIT ON IT!!!!!!

3. willymakeit

willymakeit

Old farts griping about young farts. The way its always been. I was a young fart in the early 70's. I will look at some of the tuner cars and can enjoy them. Basic ideas are still the same.

4. smarg

smarg

Well struck.

Key word is "some" I like your statement.

5. voxnut

voxnut
    from sacramento

When I was a teenager in the 80's kids in Sacramento still cruised J street every Friday and Saturday night and that had been going on since probably the 1940's, but like a lot of guys pointed out, it ended up banned. Too many fights with weapons, drugs, girls getting harassed and the gang thing started showing up looking for trouble- along with the usual adults complaining about the gridlock on the circuit. For awhile the low rider scene took over Broadway after that, but it got cracked down on as well, and I don't think any cruising has gone on since the late 80's.

I never fought or got into that kind of trouble, but I rembmer being pretty stupid with my car and street racing on downtown streets we had no business driving that fast on, so on some level I was part of the problem. But for me the cruise was just something that happened. When it's a planned deal, that seems to take a lot of luster out of it. You just knew that if you were bored on a weekend night, you hopped in the car and headed down to J to see what was happening - it was just "there" and largely a mating ritual.

But I do tend to think that on a bigger level the kid ritual of cruising died mostly just because things change. Sometimes for better, sometimes for worse (think drag racing!) and each young generation ends up doing their own thing that they relate to, that the older generation doesn't. I think kids will always be considered knuckleheads to the adults, and it's always been that way - and probably because there is an element of truth to it!

6. havi

havi

Couple things come to mind: 1) Everyone is only a mouse click or cell phone call away, and 2) Everyone is in a damned hurry.

These two things seem to have created a vicious cycle. :(

That being said, I don't own a cell phone, and I'm in no hurry, so if anyone wants to come find me, they better get a full tank of gas, and get drivin'

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  7. JoelH

JoelH

cops look down upon drinking and driving. that is why cruzing is dead.

8. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

Years ago Tex Smith did a fiction article in his magazine about how in the future hot rods got outlawed from driving on the street .The guy in the story parked his 32 highboy for 10 years while raising kids .He lost contact with old friends.He saw in a magazine that there is a street rod nat's going on.He took the plates off his wifes car and drove there.when he arrived all the cars there were being unloaded from trailers and he was asked are you nuts driving this thing? They informed him you can't do this ,these cars are outlawed to drive on the street. He was shocked, WHAT HAPPENED ? This was a hope it never happens wake up story. When I go to good Guys shows these days it seems like more trailors are showing up every year.The laws and most cops don't like our cars .Did Tex predict a future true story?

9. Manche

Manche

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  10. Zombie 51

Zombie 51
    from New York

Yeah man! I was there around the same time. I'm sure we would know each other. Over the winter we had some club meetings and I really pushed for "rod runs" instead of the same ol parking lot. Seems that all the guys are into it. This won't be club members only. I'll post when we're going places and anyone local can feel free to join us! The 1st one might be May 1st and we'll be going to the Tiki Bar up in Bayville

11. duck279

duck279
    from SC

Come cruise Ocean Blvd in Myrtle Beach. Would love to see all yalls cars down here. As long as your not a dumb ass youll be ok.

12. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

Funny, I was just down town today and saw a sign posted "no cruising between 4 pm and 6 pm." I guess it's okay to cruise after the main traffic hours. I was also watching my American Graffiti DVD for the 100th time the other night and decided to watch the George Lucas interview part where he characterized cruising as a "mating ritual." I think that was definitely a big part of it - as someone else mentioned above technology has pretty much taken care of having to drive around to meet people. Cruising has been dead around here since the late '80s early '90s, so I usually just go it alone when I get the chance. I also agree with the guy above that said he's sick of cruise ins - the lawn chair scene just bums me out.

13. ErikHardy

ErikHardy

I'm 21 and I'll put in another vote for computers & fast internet for killing cruising, as I'm cruising the hamb right now...dohh. I have no idea what it used to be like but fuck its hard to pick chicks up while cruising these days if you can even find any. Maybe I'm just as ugly as my dad told me I was:cool:

14. Modern People cruise facebook.
    The only chicks I'd pick up in the street these days would be cops &/or trouble! - wait a minute...:eek:

15. All the Chicks we were looking for are married, old, old&married or dead. :mad:

16. fogs58

fogs58
    from ooo

In the area of Ohio I grew up in , there were several towns/cities with good cruisin. The oil embargo in the 70's and jump in gas prices and the law trying to discourage it because of traffic tie ups, barely slowed it. When it became the cool thing to smoke pot and ride around outside of the towns in old big worn out cars, the cruising just died off. I saw alot of nice cars basically left sit. This was pretty much the mid seventies. Nobody seemed to care about who had the fastest car in town anymore. The first time someone called me a gearhead I didnt understand. Then I relized there was "heads" and "gearheads" . I was the latter, and they was more of them then us. Soon there was no more cruisin. Thats how I remember it anyway. I'm glad to see some of these younger guys interested in it now a days. Its a better hobby/lifestyle than a lot of others.

17. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

I didn't worry too much about College back in the day, that's true. I found out I was getting drafted and joined the NAVY. That pretty much shot the College idea. We tend to look back thru our Nostalgia glasses with all the things like race riots, segregation, Kent State, gangs, the draft, and dead Kennedys and others filtered out. Remember "Duck and Cover" LOL. One of my best friends was shot, another was knifed. So was I but I lived. Price you paid for being in the wrong part of town in the south. Lost friends racing and in the service. Cruising was one of the good times but it wasn't all that idyllic back in the day like some people want to think it was. Back in the 50's and 60's I think we had to grow up sooner than the kids today do. Average 15 or 16 year old back then could tune a Chevy or drop a buck with his 30.06 and knew how to gut it. Went to see a friend's 2 kids get their degrees this last weekend. Had to explain the draft to them when they asked me about what college I went to. Neither has ever owned a car or a gun. They really didn't have a clue and I kinda hope they can live out their lives that way...

18. ive read enough pages of this to get the gist of whats being said so here is why cruising is "dead"

1. Girls-one of the main reasons that you older guys cruised back in the day was to pick up chicks right? well as a 22 year old guy i can tell you that women these days do not want some guy yelling from his car at them. they would rather pay gobs of money for fruity drinks at a bar with their girlfriends and get hit on by some drunk goober of a man. they see old car they see someone who is "not their type" or "gross" because he gets grimy and dirty and not wearing a suit and making tons of money behind a desk. that goes deeper into the pysche in that they are looking for someone who is able to care for them and their children. Young women dont think that a wrench or someone who can fix a car can provide. but thats a tad off topic

2.Racing-Nothing like putting a new part on your car to make it faster than to go out on the town and see who you can wrangle for a race. Well idk about other states, but here in California if you get caught street racing it gets crushed. that may not matter for a late model car but it matters alot to you guys who spend upwards of 10,000 on a 32 ford or a 55 chevy or what have you. Its just not worth the risk most of the time.

3.Police-Oh no, here comes John Law to pull you over for loud exhaust, burnouts or slicks. The cops are not used to old cars driving around, especially by younger guys, so it perks there attention pretty good and therefore are watching you extra close for anything to pull you over and harass you. as the saying goes, the nail that sticks out gets hit.

having said that, i still cruise. I usually cruise each of main drags once or twice and then head on down the coast to the other main streets and keep going until i get tired. driving my car and listening to good tunes, waaay better than a movie or a few beers.

just my 2 cents:cool:

19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Worth more than 2 cents alone, brother. The pool of women who will accept a guy who makes a living working with his hands is getting smaller and smaller, let alone value a ride in a nice old car.

Even my own girlfriend thinks that I should be doing something else (better paying) than running a hot rod shop. She even sends me job listings to look at. It is not just the taking care of here and the kids stuff. Her kid is grown and out of the house. She just wants better stuff (from me and MY paycheck).

20. Amp713

Amp713
    from Utah

Man just kinda spotted this and decided to read and i have to say im glad its not just me that is under 30 (Im 21) and still out tryin to cruise. To many people nowadays seem that they dont want to cruise cuz of the "value" of thier car, Mine will be built to drive, end. Want to see a ton of guys who almost never cruise?? Go hit up autorama.

But on some points i disagree, i have girls that love my car and want to go for a ride all the time but i live in the country, everyone and their dog goes big jacked up trucks. Im not saying i dont like it cuz if i could get one for free id take it! But if im dumpin bookoo bucks im going with what i love, Ol' Skool Rods!!!!!! It sticks out and its different, hell once i get the blown engine swapped out ill be back out cruising and start takin all the girls ive promised rides too....

I have people wave at me everywhere i go in my car, i have had a cop stop to talk to me while i was stopped at a stop sign, she basically stopped traffic because she loved my car. But one bonus about the country is everyone knows everyone. We only have three stop lights, and plenty of open roads to race/cruise on. But the city opened the old airport runway up on sundays so everyone can go race, mostly i think it was hopeful that it would get out of peoples systems and i think it has helped actually!

So im rambling but, all in all, its the owners.

IF YOU WANT TO CRUISE MAKE NO EXCUSE GET THE HELL OUT THERE!!!!!

21. Ghastly

Ghastly
    from DETROIT,MI

$4.19 a gallon.

22. Amp713

Amp713
    from Utah

and that is another point, my car gets better milage than my truck, and my truck sure as hell beats half the jacked up, chipped, smokers paying even more for diesel than gas. And most people use them as daily drivers!

23. gimpyshotrods, that sounds bad man. your living many of our dreams by running your own shop there. just goes to show the womenz are impossible to understand.

24. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

The comments about girls who don't go for the guy who can wrench his own car and works with his hands has me puzzled. Please explain then why they seem to like the guy with the prison record and drug convictions and winds up living off the girl's income cuz they can't get no job cuz they don't know anything but how to wield their peen. and I ain't talkin' a round headed hammer...well I guess it could be a hammer.....

25. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Sun Drive-In closed, Montgomery Wards property got redevoped, Porky's closed, St. Paul Police effectively shut down the "Loop", the list goes on and on. Places we used to cruise just aren't there anymore...

26. Wizard

Wizard

We used to have a cruise seen/Circuit here in York PA. Not sure if its still alive anymore Friday/Saturdays. Also Carlisle, PA had a circuit. Near the Carlisle Fairgrounds back then. Pretty sure that one is dead around here. I did it back in the 80's when I was a teenager.

Wizard

27. since i am not a woman, i cannot give you an answer. its one of the many great mysteries of women. but alas this thread is about cruising, not the mindset of the females. mabye one of the women on here can give an insight.

28. torino_Joe

torino_Joe

No excuses,play like a champion!! F^%k the cops,F!@k facebook,and F#*k the gas prices. Just go and cruise or go for a drive,regardless of who likes it or you can't pick up chicks anymore.....

29. Says the guys with a Bagged S-10 as his avatar on a Traditional Hot Rod and Customs Forum... Sorry couldn't let that one go..

I don't really cruise anymore cause they outlawed the best cruise streets and most of the time I just don't have the time.. I did when I was a teenager but then, like I said, they made it illegal to drive on the same street back and forth more than once in a 1 hour period illegal.. Of course anyone else but a teenager they wouldn't enforce the law but if you had a visibly modified car you were in trouble.. Then the law started leaning on some of the local businesses that actully let us park and hang out.. Told them we were dealing drugs (not true) so then they asked us to stop.. I have fond memories of those times but they're obviously gone.. Maybe they'd treat me differently cause I am obviously older, but 40+ hours at the plant, an 8 year old in second grade, a 7 month old in diapers, and dad holding down the fort when mamma is at work doesn't leave me alot of time to do the things I WANT to do, just time to do the things I NEED to do.. That's my story anyway..

30. Zombie 51

Zombie 51
    from New York

Update. The club has really had a great response to my idea about rod runs. We've done a few so far and all of them have been great fun. Last night my friend and I went into Manhattan in his 49 Merc! I had a blast!!! Get em on the road where they belong, guys!!