Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lesson learned today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blades, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

Floor jack gave while I was under the car today. Luckilly I heard a creek and a spring pop, That alerted me to scramble out. Car clipped my shoulder real good :(.

Lesson:
    Never go under a car while in the garage alone and use good reliable jack stands as a second defense.

I feel like a dumb ass :(

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  2. After all the KILL threads on here and you STILL went under the car unsupported?? Better take in church services this week. You owe someone.

3. THE BRONSON

THE BRONSON

Yep, even if Im just checking something underneath my car quick like I still throw a jackstand under it just in case. Glad you walked away from this one man, keep it safe.

4. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Anybody that crawls under a car without jackstands is insane. You're lucky to be a live man.

5. ty1295

ty1295
    from Indiana

I lost a friend for doing the same stunt. GUYS NEVER crawl under without a jack.

6. K204DR

K204DR
    from Chatt TN

fixed it for you.

7. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

Car repair 101, always use jack stands. . . come on guy.

8. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

About a month ago I had to re-think my safety practices. I raised my truck with a floor jack, then put a quick release jack stand under the frame and lowered the frame onto the jack stand about 4 notches up. Then I removed the floor jack and crawled under the truck. I must have bumped the jack or something. As I started to drill a hole in the floor board, down it came on my chest. Lucky all the wheels were on the truck and I was able to slide out. My chest hurt for about a month. Plus I'm lucky to still be alive. Always have at least two support devices in use and if possible I get my wife to visit with me while I'm laying on my back under a vehicle. She watches me like a hawk, for safety sake. Gary

9. Good jack stands are your first defense.

And those 3 legged pieces of shit don't count.

10. cederholm

cederholm

WTF, seriously??!! Glad your not dead. Go buy a loto ticket cause you're one lucky, but not bright, bastard.

11. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

I fell like a douchebag. I'm looking for a good floorjack and stands now on Sears.com.
    I deserve all the toungue lashings.

12. 30dodge

30dodge
    from Pahrump nv

Maybe it is time for someone here to read the book "Darwin Awards"

13. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I put the car on jack stands, the put just a little pressure with the jack and put the handle up as far as it will go. Sometimes i even throw some blocks under it if im gunna pull and push on the carparts much.

14. Yeah I'm a big fan of jackstands.

15. Gasoline Junkie

Gasoline Junkie

Jackstands 1st thing... but don't forget to chock the wheels. What good is a jackstand if the car's gonna roll off?

16. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

yup you burned a few of the 9 lives morris , even when i was removing stuff at the junk yard id stack old rims and tires under the frame just incase , never trust your life to just a jack ,

17. Also throw a spare wheel and tire under the car in a place where it will help you get out if the jack, the stands and your blocking give out............get it? Redundancy!

18. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I heard a cracking sound once when I was under a car...it was supported by jackstands but it turns out the frame was rusting from inside out. Jack went right through it. I was pinned but not crushed. One of the scariest things to ever happen to me.

19. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Dude......man........I ain't gottsa say nuffin'.

But I will.

I never...EVER get under my car without all the tires on, at least 4 2-4 ton jackstands ("U" pin ones, not the ratcheting ones), floor jack, and usually some high density SOLID concrete blocks.....and EVEN some old rims from time to time IF there's room. I'm a hypochondriac and a natural born worrier. I'll be damned if I'm gonna die under a dumb hunk of steel. I also ALWAYS have my cell phone.

20. brad chevy

brad chevy

At least you are an alive dumbass,most pulling that crap are not.I"d play the lottery dude your luck is better than most.

21. Thank God you are OK. As some have said if you are not a church goer maybe you should start because you have a debt!!!

22. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

23. Do Good Jr.

Do Good Jr.
    from texas

years ago I had a car fall on me. I used ramps instead of jack and stand...and didnt chock the wheels. I was tightning the collector gaskets on my mustang and some how hit the gear selector on the trans which shifted from park to neutral which let the car roll back. as soon as I saw the car move I rolled to try to get out and got trapped between the trans and the ground with one shoulder on the ground and the other against the trans. I started screaming for help but no one could hear me. Finally a neighbor came out side and got my dad out of the house to help. All I could see (fixing to pass out) was feet running around to try to find a jack. All of the sudden I felt the car lift off of me and I rolled out to see my dad (who was in his mid 60's at the time) picking up on the front fender of the car. Luckily all I got was a broken collar bone. Didn't get under another vehicle for a year. Lesson learned!!!!!!

24. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

At the very least, get some spare wheels, put them under the tires. Probably better than cheap jack stands. I always use 3 jack stands, plus the jack stays put too. and the back up jack is within reach.

25. Toner283

Toner283

A LUCKY dumb ass. I would suggest that you buy a lottery ticket but I think your luck for the year is all used up.

When you buy some jackstands buy heavy duty ones, not the cheapies that come with a little floor jack as a set.

Check these out: http://www.harborfreight.com/6-ton-jack-stand-set-38847.html

Might be a little overkill but better to have ones rated higher than you need. I would rather that than get squished because the stands I had were not up to the task.

26. tig master

tig master
    from up north

WTF were u thinking you are a lucky dude to be here to talk about it.That is a Darwin award!!

Now get your shit together and get jack stands
    My 2¢

Tig

27. BuickBorracho

BuickBorracho

You are very lucky dude! And since were are on the subject, can anyone recommend a good, quality built, best in the biz jackstand???

28. LowerthanLife

LowerthanLife

yup, all of the above my freind. bttt.

29. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

23 year old guy got killed today, maybe it was sunday or this morning in Michigan, car fell on him, 'cause the jack slipped..family didnt find him for probably they figure 6 hours after they had seen him last
    its in the news I aint going to go look for it,

bad hard lesson, you only get to learn once

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  30. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

damn, you almost gave the rest of us a chance at a new project.

your gonna have us watching you like vultures now.